Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video vs. Franchise MA schools

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    BTW-Gracies have created a BJJ "Lite," or "EZ BJJ" mini course, complete with certification, belts, marketing strategies, etc directed at commercial school owners to place in their schools.
    Smart guys.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think his stance takes away the personal responsibility of the potential student when they are looking to start martial arts. They make the choice, sign the contract or not.

I agree that aspects of the martial arts are overly commercial. On the other hand I've always wondered why people think it's wrong to make money from martial arts. I've heard alot of southern style practitoners praised for not charging much to their students because they make their money from their dit da clinic. charging money for martial arts lessons=bad, doctor charging sick people money= good
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

A talented, driven student negotiates his own price, imo. His selection of the teacher is a benefit and honor to the teacher, and a good teacher recognizes this.

The rest should not be tricked into paying more for what they aren't ever going to accomplish.

A teacher who overcharges the first is an idiot. One who oversharges the rest is a cad.

Aside from that, I have no problem with someone earning their living.

martial arts should be taught free of charge... not meaning you have to teach eveyone, but those who are mean't to learn will seek out a master, that is why it is said that when the student is ready, the master will appear... this is a profound concept that only a select few on the boards can relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    martial arts should be taught free of charge... not meaning you have to teach eveyone, but those who are mean't to learn will seek out a master, that is why it is said that when the student is ready, the master will appear... this is a profound concept that only a select few on the boards can relate to.
    Then who would pay the rent, utilities, and keep the teacher and his family fed? Nothing is free.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Nothing is free.
    life is free.

life is free.
    Heh... you actually believe that. Life is short, usually abruptly ended, and mostly spent under the control of something, be it man-made or natural.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Heh... you actually believe that. Life is short, usually abruptly ended, and mostly spent under the control of something, be it man-made or natural.
    might aswell embrace the mindset of true freedom then, eh??

Might as well tell me who will pay for the teacher's living expenses. Especially if they have a family. I'd also like to see how you'd get people to teach if there was no way of supporting themselves with it.

They don't need nice cars and big houses, but they certainly expect some sort of compensation for their expertise and hard work. Doing it for free wouldn't even begin to work.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

They don't need nice cars and big houses, but they certainly expect some sort of compensation for their expertise and hard work. Doing it for free wouldn't even begin to work.
    well for starters... i'm a stone mason - works just fine for me...

I don't know who you train from, but this is a full time job, usually with them working well over what most people work. It's probably closer to my 60+ hour work week.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Actually, Doc Fai-Wong has been a huge driving force in promoting Traditional Chinese Martial Arts for decades. I have followed his articles and books ever since 1973 Inside Kung-Fu first featured him. His articles were extremely informative, and he brought ideas and concepts to the general non-Chinese public from behind the "Bamboo Curtain." His book on CLF is still one of the best books in English on Southern Gung-Fu. In it, he outlines strikes, usage as well as two beginner forms, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choy in explicit detail.
    His article on Dit Da Jow was possibly the first to actually share full formulas and instructions of making it.
    He was also the first to have instructional videos on CLF, broken down in regular speed, slow motion, different angles as well as applications.

oh, and No, I am not, nor have ever been connected with his organization. I simply have been involved in MA for over 35 yrs, and appreciate his contributions.
    Yeah but until he moves large objects through will, strength and testicular tenacity then he hasn't accomplished anything...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what, appear on your doorstep with his bags, ready to move in?
    You have a house made of rocks. Unless he's Grandmaster Flintstone, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    chinese jesus hong xiou quan would not have approved of franchises. if he was alive he would crush them without mercy then take all their womans as his concubine

personally i think theres nothing wrong with a kung fu franchise, but only if u earned it.
    i think gracies definitely deserve franchise. great master tu jing shen deserves a franchise because he pulled a airplane with his peenis. what did doc fei wong and sin the ever do? i dont know.
    GM DFW has been an awesome teacher. If he's in it for the money, he hasn't been collecting much from me. GM DFW also helped rebuild and restore a number of CLF sites, and has been promoting the art globally for decades. I admire him as a martial artist and a genuinely good person.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Actually, Doc Fai-Wong has been a huge driving force in promoting Traditional Chinese Martial Arts for decades. I have followed his articles and books ever since 1973 Inside Kung-Fu first featured him. His articles were extremely informative, and he brought ideas and concepts to the general non-Chinese public from behind the "Bamboo Curtain." His book on CLF is still one of the best books in English on Southern Gung-Fu. In it, he outlines strikes, usage as well as two beginner forms, Ng Lun Ma and Ng Lun Choy in explicit detail.
    His article on Dit Da Jow was possibly the first to actually share full formulas and instructions of making it.
    He was also the first to have instructional videos on CLF, broken down in regular speed, slow motion, different angles as well as applications.

oh, and No, I am not, nor have ever been connected with his organization. I simply have been involved in MA for over 35 yrs, and appreciate his contributions.
    You should see his distance learning program. Awesome.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown