Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Video vs. Franchise MA schools

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    I agree. I guess the hard part is to figure out what is a "reasonable" profit and what isn't. Obviously, bills have to be paid, which includes the instructor's salary. But what is too much or too little, and how is that determined? Hard to say, in an industry that has no governing body of standards! lol (not that it should)
    It isn't so much about the dollar amount as it is about priorities. When making money becomes more important than the students that’s when it’s too much.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

every one wants his school and style to grow.

franchise is one way

family owned meaning closed circles of teachers is another way.

as long as they are consistently teaching the same quality of stuff as the first or original school

--

the rest is the problem of people that using the same name but not delivering the same level of teaching or training

the school name would be "de faced"--
    or lowered its value

--

MA school is supposed to be about fighting

teaching somebody to be respectful etc or cultural/personalities cultivation

is it not that the church, the school and the parents are supposed to be instilling in the young one ?

--

Having watched the video now, I'd say the dude has a beef with a local chain school doing dirty business. It got a little dramatic and over the top, trying to emulate pop conspiracy videos.
    Yes! I was looking for a discription of the tone of the video. Kinda like "who killed the electric car" or "loose change". A bit over the top.

As a school owner the hardest thing to do is balance the buisness aspect with the sifu/student personal relationship. We do have to be honest though it is a buisness so at the end of the day the school does need to make money just to survive.

Again why is it ok for doctors to make large somes of money from sick people and it seems unacceptable for a martial artist to make money from his trade? It seems out of wack to me
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Again why is it ok for doctors to make large somes of money from sick people and it seems unacceptable for a martial artist to make money from his trade? It seems out of wack to me.
    i think doctors make way too much money for the services they render... i think this is what the video is alluding to - teacher/master/sifu's who are only about making by playing on peoples ignorance of martial arts, much like people are ignorant of basic health and natural medicines/treatments... being charged 350 dollars to go to the emergency room and quick 5 minutes with a doctor who only tells someone they sprained their ankle is ridiculous... obviously any trade or skill can be used for profit in order to make a living, but it's when people begin to get greedy and shed quality for quantity that is the root of the problem here.

I found this video interesting. I have some comments but I'll save it until some of you weight in.

"The truth behind martial arts franchise schools exposed"

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAiSaBGaj8

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5UE76TcADo

HAHAH....That's USSD's business model.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i think doctors make way too much money for the services they render...
    Doctors make so much because they go through 8 years of school at minimum and make decisions which have a great effect on the lives of others, even to the point of whether they may have a life or not.

i think this is what the video is alluding to - teacher/master/sifu's who are only about making by playing on peoples ignorance of martial arts, much like people are ignorant of basic health and natural medicines/treatments... being charged 350 dollars to go to the emergency room and quick 5 minutes with a doctor who only tells someone they sprained their ankle is ridiculous...
    Praying on you? How about ask some questions next time. They're there to educate you as well as treat. You know for someone who is so initiated to inform the masses of your ideology of free thinking, you are showing both with your overall attitude to things such as law enforcement and now apparently medicine, a significant trend in lacking a notion of "personal responsibility." Its your **** body, maybe you (and everyone) should take some time to actually learn about it. That's 90% of the problem. People want doctors to "fix" everything that breaks whether it can be or not. Maybe if they lived a healthy life of prevention....
    And you know, maybe you wouldn't be paying $350 for an ankle sprain if you didn't go to the ER for something any family practice/sports clinic could handle for half that. Oh and ya know, insurance is nice too, you don't have to go to the ER for everything...Oh yeah but you have that thing against systems and all that. Personal responsibility....

obviously any trade or skill can be used for profit in order to make a living, but it's when people begin to get greedy and shed quality for quantity that is the root of the problem here.
    Agreed, but that will happen in anything. I'm still ****ed about my $4 ice cream. I ASKED FOR EXTRA SPRINKLES!!!

Yes! I was looking for a discription of the tone of the video. Kinda like "who killed the electric car" or "loose change". A bit over the top.

As a school owner the hardest thing to do is balance the buisness aspect with the sifu/student personal relationship. We do have to be honest though it is a buisness so at the end of the day the school does need to make money just to survive.

Again why is it ok for doctors to make large somes of money from sick people and it seems unacceptable for a martial artist to make money from his trade? It seems out of wack to me
    I'm sure that most of the people who expect MA teachers to teach free of charge simply want to get something of value for nothing, period. In most cases, it takes every bit as long as any other higher education to be qualified to teach MA. Yet free lessons guarantee nothing. One of my teachers in Taiwan told me he began teaching by offering classes for free. He was a very good and very meticulous young teacher. Yet no one showed up for long. Eventually he wised up and began charging (not overly expensive, but not cheap, either). It was only then that his classes grew and lots of people stayed with him.

I'm sure that there are some good teachers who teach for free and have good students, but in many or most cases, when you don't place a monetary value on what you are offering, that sends a signal to people that you don't value your own product. Therefore, they won't value or respect you as a teacher or your product, either.

Though it's true that when money becomes the be-all and end-all, then it becomes a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'm sure that most of the people who expect MA teachers to teach free of charge simply want to get something of value for nothing, period. In most cases, it takes every bit as long as any other higher education to be qualified to teach MA. Yet free lessons guarantee nothing. One of my teachers in Taiwan told me he began teaching by offering classes for free. He was a very good and very meticulous young teacher. Yet no one showed up for long. Eventually he wised up and began charging (not overly expensive, but not cheap, either). It was only then that his classes grew and lots of people stayed with him.

I'm sure that there are some good teachers who teach for free and have good students, but in many or most cases, when you don't place a monetary value on what you are offering, that sends a signal to people that you don't value your own product. Therefore, they won't value or respect you as a teacher or your product, either.

Though it's true that when money becomes the be-all and end-all, then it becomes a scam.
    hi
    i think large number of students doesnt neeccesarily mean succuess. that guy when he taught for free didnt have a lot of students but i think theres nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-08-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

i think a teacher with 1 really good student would be happy if he only wants to teach for teaching and not to make a living.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hi
    i think large number of students doesnt neeccesarily mean succuess. that guy when he taught for free didnt have a lot of students but i think theres nothing wrong with that.
    Hi, bawang.

I agree that large numbers of students, in itself, doesn't always mean success. According to him, his plan was to find some students to teach for free, and help them develop into good practitioners. At some point, he would be charging new students fees but allow any of those original students to continue free of charge. His goal was to become a professional MA teacher. But as mentioned, not one of the students he taught for free stayed long. After a while (a year?) when he began charging, he found students who would stay, and some eventually became quite good.

The teacher's teaching method hadn't really changed, but people's perceptions changed when he began charging monthly fees.

Oddly enough, one of the persons who quit when he charged nothing returned. When told he was now going to have to pay the fee like everybody else, the student was quite happy to do so, became one of the better practitioners, and remained with him for many years.

Of course, he needed the money to live, as this became his occupation. But to him, money was never a big obsession.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-08-2010 at 06:58 PM.

not one of the students he taught for free stayed long. After a while (a year?) when he began charging, he found students who would stay, and some eventually became quite good.
    This is my experince exactly
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

in the old china

there is this private tutoring

you hire a boxer or quan si or boxing teacher

you provide room and board.

he specifically teaches your kids or relatives.

in the old China, people live in a big mansion, there are many rooms and courtyard

---

and of course a salary is paid to the teacher, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    in the old china

there is this private tutoring

you hire a boxer or quan si or boxing teacher

you provide room and board.

he specifically teaches your kids or relatives.

in the old China, people live in a big mansion, there are many rooms and courtyard

---

and of course a salary is paid to the teacher, too.

in that sense, it is not a commercial school or franchise.

private teaching to a few students for many years

while the teacher's living is completely provided for.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    in that sense, it is not a commercial school or franchise.

private teaching to a few students for many years

while the teacher's living is completely provided for.
    in mycology, this concept is known as a symbiotic relationship.

even today, passing of certain school/lineage of CMA

are still among a few students

in contrast to commercial or tkd classes in every corner of shopping area across the land--