Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron and Silk

Tainan Mantis Guest

Iron And Silk Master

I seem to remember that the kung fu teacher in the book Iron & Silk was Wu Bin. And the movie was Master Pan.
    Or am I mistaken and the man in the book was also Pan?

Stumblefist Guest

Master Pan

Tainan Mantis: I have a friend who regularly travels with Master Pan. You are mistaken, the man in the book was Master Pan. They both used each other to get famous in the West. :)
    Now Wu Bin,? rings a bell? Choreographer for Shaolin Shi?

"This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end
    It hurts to set you free
    But you'll never follow me"

Silumkid Guest
    Wu Bin was (and may still be) the head coach of the Beijing Wushu Team. His most famous student is...you guessed it, Jet Li! Master Pan was also named in the book, not only the movie. :D

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

honorisc Guest
    Stumblefist, is your friend who travels with Master Pan a female?

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Stumblefist Guest

my lips are sealed

No-Know. Hee Hee, You're thinking of Diane, I suppose. She's a tough lady.
    Ok.I still think i've heard the name wu bin in movies as choreographer, perhaps worked with Pan. I'll check it out.
    Pan was The Master in the book that Mark learned from. They both played themselves in the movie.

"This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end
    It hurts to set you free

Silumkid Guest
    I honestly can't think of anything that Wu Bin may have worked on as choreographer...are you sure you aren't thinking of "Woo Ping"? Yup, as in Yuen...also there are several other Yuen's in the movie industry whose names sound similar. I'd be interested to know if Wu Bin did do anything though...could very well be worth the time to research. I wonder if Gene knows...

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

HuangKaiVun Guest
    We have an idiot 18-year old poster here named "Ralek" who thinks he can defeat Pan Qing Fu!

What is this friggin' world coming to?

Stumblefist Guest

Master Pan of Course

MasterPan was the chief choreographer of "Shaolin Temple". :D :D :D
    Here's some more credits for Master Pan.

http://www.warriorspower.com/noframe...panqingfu.html

"This is the end
    My only friend, the end
    It hurts to set you free

Tainan Mantis Guest

Wu Bin

I was referring to the man mentioned by Silumkid.
    I'm pretty sure that he hasn't done any movie work. He is not Woo Ping.

nobody Guest

isnt that the guy who punches steel.

Stumblefist Guest

yes that's him!

Yes Master Pan toughens up one (1) fist, his right by punching steel. Like my friend said, it's scary just looking at it or having tea with him, like he's got some steel welded to his knuckles.
    His student taught me the technique, which is more or less just do it, repetitively, just lightly and don't go crazy, let the skin heal sometimes, go again. Even my friend gave me a present... a heavy piece of steel with a flat surface. :) :)

However, i decided agaist it: the impracticalities of lugging around a piece of steel with me. However i sometimes give trees a heavy workout, palms, knuckles and all.
    Which brings up something interesting, Master Pan doesn't use the traditional fist ( like in Karate and most kungfu). If you can get a photo, study where the callouses have developed. You can see there is none on the top first knuckle, but there is one on the third knuckle. Mater Pan does not bend his hand to make flat first two knuckles and back of hand is not parallel in a line with the arm. He uses the "natural fist" with different impact knuckles. It is quite unusual.

To understand what i mean, oberve which knuckles make full contact when you hold your fist against a flat surface. And then how you can change that.
    Well he doesn't have to reach in his pocket for the brass knuckles! :D :D

"It hurts to set you free

nobody Guest

re

i believe that is a wing chun fist...where you punch with the last 3 knuckles of the hand.

Stumblefist Guest

A punch is just a punch?

Nobody...
    maybe, i don't know... BUT the fist i am talking about the bottom knuckle of the first finger also makes contact. both knuckles of the second finger and the top knuckle of the third but not the fourth.
    I think the wing chun idea is for the vertical up-torquing punch.

"It hurts to set you free

RAF Guest

Iron and Silk

Does anyone know what became of Mark Salzman author of Iron and Silk and the movie Iron and Silk?

How about his relationship with Pan Qing Fu?

Kristoffer Guest
    nope sorry,,
    do u know of any reliable internet sites from wich u can buy that movie?

~K~
    "maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"