Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I strengthen my kidneys?

How do I strengthen my kidneys?

I recently began doing 8 Piece Brocade to improve overall health, but I specifically want to strengthen my kidneys. Any ideas?

Start by having someone lightly tap you on the kidneys.....

then over years have them slowly increase the power of the impact as callouses build up on them!

first off, are you talking about "kidneys" from a TCM perspective or from a contemporary anatomical one, because those are two entirely different things - in TCM, "kidney" refers to more than just the physical organ, and in fact includes a variety of signs / symptoms that have nothing to do with the contemporary understanding of that specific organ's function; so you need to be very clear on which definition you are talking about; second, what do you mean by "strengthen"? again, from a TCM perspective it will be very different from what constitutes "strong" kidney function from a biomedical one; also, how will you measure your success? do you have documented kidney pathology, either from TCM or biomedical perspective, that you want to address? if not, how will you gauge your progress? for example, will you have a TCM or allopathic medical exam and then get re-examined to see if anything has improved after you've been practicing for a time? if not, how will you judge on your own?

that said, I am sure you will get many suggestions about how to "strengthen" kidneys from people on the forum - you just might want to apply a little of the above critical reasoning before accepting wholesale whatever it is they assure you will work...

except for Scott; anything that Scott says is Truth™, and I would do EXACTLY what he says, until your ears bleed...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    ...anything that Scott says is Truth™, and I would do EXACTLY what he says, until your ears bleed...
    Well....in this case it would be until your urine bleeds!!

The more blood in your urine, the more you know you are doing it correctly!

But once kidney failure occurs.....you know you have gone to far; and this is where one demonstrates his kung fu!

Without kung fu you will most likely go too far!

Okay, I was thinking in the TCM sense and the various effects on the whole system, rather than the western medical idea of just the kidney organ and it`s filtering function.
    I don`t have any specifically identified pathology and no kidney troubles in the western sense. I`ve just noticed less energy in general as I hit middle age and a few other signs that different chi gung books mention as being signs of "weak kidneys". I haven`t given any thought to how I`d measure any progress other than perhaps having more energy or higher sex drive, maybe a little less stiffness in my lower back.

I`ve just gotten back into a weight training regimen, and I`m begining to learn the 8 Peice Brocade, and I`m begining to notice I feel alot better, but I figured I`d ask around. I`m very new at any kind of Chi Kung and don`t know much of anything about herbal meds. I just figured this would be the place to ask if anyone had any personal experiance or ideas.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Drink one gallon of moonshine a day. It will hollow you out so as you won't have to worry about internal crap any more.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Hi David,

Alert-This time I am serious!

The best thing you can do is exercise and diet. The loss of energy most people experience as they age is due to the beginning of slow deterioration of their body. For men, the reduction in the production testosterone is also a factor.

Weight training will help stimulate testosterone production, specifically squats and deadlifts done for lower reps of 3-5.

Also an aerobics training program. A minimum of 30 mins a day 5-6 days a week, with perhaps two days a week of 60 mins. You will feel a distinct difference between 30 mins and 60 mins of aerobics, meaning you will feel like you have more energy after 60 mins of aerobic activity than 30 mins.

Aerobics produces endorphins which is the body's natural mood elevator and pain reliever.

Be sure to start slow and work up to it with both of these if you are starting out from scratch. Most people overdo it at the beginning and then give up because they feel rotten from overdoing it!

As far as diet is concerned, eat healthy most of the time, reducing carbohydrate consumption, increasing healthy proteins (lean beef, chicken and fish) and healthy fats, such as nuts (almonds and walnuts; one handful a day should do). Take some good fish oil, and keep an eye on unnecessary sugars (cake, candy, soda pop, donuts, etc.) in your diet and too much caffeine. Both will give you a temporary high only to drop your mood when they wear off.

Try this! It will work for everyone assuming there is no other disease process going on!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-08-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David43515 View Post
    I recently began doing 8 Piece Brocade to improve overall health, but I specifically want to strengthen my kidneys. Any ideas?
    1, Dont mess around with any organ training seperately. If your 8 piece brocade is an authentic one, it will have a balancing design which aids all the internal organs and their inter-relationship via the five elements balancing concept.

2, to strengthen kidney means to make the kidneys work less by taking low protien diet with lots vegi/fruits , full grain, or good carb. no salt , no softdrink, and cut down sex.

3, go to bed before 11PM.

4, no exhaust/ draining type of harsh exercise such as fast running...etc. or even prolong time of airobic....etc. since this drain the Qi.

5, even if one did the kidneys strengthening Qigong which there is such a thing. one still needs to do the1, 2 , 3, and 4 above. otherwise, it doesnt have much benifit or even damaging.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Don't listen to Hendrik about the exercise. I have been a state class swimmer and have trained people in the martial arts, swimming, and weight training. I have been training seriously for 40 years, all he is, is a skinny old man!

All exercise, if done too much too soon, will drain you. THAT is why you work up to it. If you work up to one hour of aerobics 2 days a week and 30 mins 2-4 days a week the proof will be in the pudding.

You will have MORE energy after your 60 min aerobic activity than your 30 min aerobic activity. If you don't all it means is you over did it!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.

BTW:

Scientific literature supports everything I have mentioned about weight training and aerobic activity.

Hendrik relies of traditional fantasy NOT supported by scientific literature!

If you were born stronger and healty then others then you can take that.

However, what with those who were born weak or those who already has some imbalance or problem in their internal organs?

Will you take responsibility if they follow your instruction if that cause problem to them? Sure it is not you who suffer and it is at their expense.

Given advise to strengthen Kidney by taking more protein which increase the work load of kidney is suicide.
    Those who has kidney problem cannot effort to have heavy exercise period. any one who have basic knowledge know that.

All the Qigong if it is the authentic one; instead of draining the practitioner, help the person circulation; and promote Ku Pen Pei Yuan or strenghten the original core since cutting down or totally cut of sex activity to preserve Yuan Qi. Thus, that is not the usual exercise.

Confucious said, If one know say so, if one know not say so.
    One must take responsibility on one's word.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Don't listen to Hendrik about the exercise. I have been a state class swimmer and have trained people in the martial arts, swimming, and weight training. I have been training seriously for 40 years, all he is, is a skinny old man!

All exercise, if done too much too soon, will drain you. THAT is why you work up to it. If you work up to one hour of aerobics 2 days a week and 30 mins 2-4 days a week the proof will be in the pudding.

You will have MORE energy after your 60 min aerobic activity than your 30 min aerobic activity. If you don't all it means is you over did it!
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-08-2010 at 11:18 PM.

BTW:

Scientific literature supports everything I have mentioned about weight training and aerobic activity.

Hendrik relies of traditional fantasy NOT supported by scientific literature!

No comment on your behavior of doing anything to defend yourself on other's expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    However, what with those who were born weak or those who already has some imbalance or problem in their internal organs?

Will you take responsibility if they follow your instruction if that cause problem to them? Sure it is not you who suffer and it is at their expense.

Given advise to strengthen Kidney by taking more protein which increase the work load of kidney is suicide.
    Those who has kidney problem cannot effort to have heavy exercise period. any one who have basic knowledge know that.

All the Qigong if it is the authentic one; instead of draining the practitioner, help the person circulation; and promote Ku Pen Pei Yuan or strenghten the original core since cutting down or totally cut of sex activity to preserve Yuan Qi. Thus, that is not the usual exercise.

Confucious said, If one know say so, if one know not say so.
    One must take responsibility on one's word.
    You are not paying attention. He does not have kidney disease. If he had kidney disease he should see a nephrologist and ignore you completely!

Quote Originally Posted by David43515 View Post
    I don`t have any specifically identified pathology and no kidney troubles in the western sense. I`ve just noticed less energy in general as I hit middle age and a few other signs that different chi gung books mention as being signs of "weak kidneys". I haven`t given any thought to how I`d measure any progress other than perhaps having more energy or higher sex drive, maybe a little less stiffness in my lower back.
    That means he is experiencing the generalized changes that accompany aging, part of which is a reduction in testosterone production.

The advice I have given him are scientifically demonstrated to give him the results he is looking for!

Squats and deadlifts in lower repetitions are demonstrated to increase testosterone production even in older men. Aerobic activity increases the production of endorphins the body's NATURAL mood elevator!

You offer him fantasy results based upon tradition. The same tradition that fed mercury pills to patients in order to increase their vitality!

No comment on your behavior of doing anything to defend yourself on other's expense.
    Good idea! Quit before you embarrass yourself even more!

I sure let you be who you love to be.

You are not paying attention. He does not have kidney disease. If he had kidney disease he should see a nephrologist and ignore you completely!

That means he is experiencing the generalized changes that accompany aging, part of which is a reduction in testosterone production.

The advice I have given him are scientifically demonstrated to give him the results he is looking for!

Squats and deadlifts in lower repetitions are demonstrated to increase testosterone production even in older men. Aerobic activity increases the production of endorphins the body's NATURAL mood elevator!

You offer him fantasy results based upon tradition. The same tradition that fed mercury pills to patients in order to increase their vitality!

Good idea! Quit before you embarrass yourself even more!

I sure let you be who you love to be.
    Thankfully I don't need your permission!