Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLF schools in China?

CLF schools in China?

Where are all the CLF schools in China? Obviously in Guandong area they have a few, but do anyone know of any other schools around in other areas? Hubei or Hunan perhaps?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

my friend studies in Fatsaan Hung Sing Gwun, and he says one of the most senior sifus, sifu of his sifu, is living and teaching in Hunan
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Not many people outside of the southern provinces seemed to familiar with Tsai Li Fo when I was in china, aside from the shaolin abbot.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

but didn't Chan Heung Kung, send out his 18 disciples to spread CLF all over southern china and south east asia? where did all those schools go?

thats what I was thinking too chasencharp.
    I live in south central china, and NO ONE here knows anything about CLF. Hardly any knows hongquan (they all know huang fei hong and knows his style as nanquan) and after the movie they all know ye wen (yip man) and YC.

Do you know where in Hunan? Changsha is 2 hours by train
    得 心 應 手

Blog Entries
    I wish i could have experienced what it was like in days of our elders. Chan Heung had his area on lockdown, Jeung Hung Sing had his area on lockdown and so did Tam Sam in his area. Man, what it must have been like in those days!!!!
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 04-09-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

To bad for china the cultural revolution happened...........

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Not many people outside of the southern provinces seemed to familiar with Tsai Li Fo when I was in china, aside from the shaolin abbot.
    I've noticed that, too.

I've spoken to different mainlanders who were at least familiar with the names of commonly heard-of KF styles, who had no idea what Tsai Li Fo/Choy Lee Fut is. They knew about Tanglang (Mantis), Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji, Ying Jow, and maybe Wing Chun due to Bruce Lee. I speak Mandarin (lived in Taiwan 8 years and used to be MUCH better at it), and even when I wrote the characters for CLF and showed it to them, they'd just look puzzled.

I would bet that probably more people outside of mainland China know about CLF than in it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-10-2010 at 12:58 AM.

yeah,
    I've worn some school t shirts with CLF written in chinese on it, and people asked me if that was my chinese name. Another time I wore a tank top from our school in USA while working out (its hot in wuhan) and the back says Guan xiong Guo shu xie hui (Koon Hung Kuo shu Association) - USA with Tsai Li Fo in the front, and People were confused as F\/<k. Some guy who claimed to be a kung fu teacher in the park oposite my house where i go run, had no idea what kuoshu meant and thought it had something to do with some Benevolent association.

People in china dont know much about kung fu. All they know is Taiquandao (TKD), Shaolinquan and san da. They know Nanquan Beitui, but usually non of them knows what it means. They all practice nunchaku (how ever way you spell it) and they all kick like Bruce Lee.

Anyways, Ill find out about Hunan CLF.
    得 心 應 手

@ Eddie, That's funny because I was talking to a lady in china who knew i practiced Kungfu and she asked what kind and I said Tsai li fo and she looked confused and said "that's the name of the sifu" so i said "kind of"

I found if I said Nanquan or guandong kungfu they understood more

I would bet that probably more people outside of mainland China know about CLF than in it.
    I think that's true. probally due to many of the sifu's leaving china during the communist takeover and it's popularity in hong kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    yeah,
    I've worn some school t shirts with CLF written in chinese on it, and people asked me if that was my chinese name. Another time I wore a tank top from our school in USA while working out (its hot in wuhan) and the back says Guan xiong Guo shu xie hui (Koon Hung Kuo shu Association) - USA with Tsai Li Fo in the front, and People were confused as F\/<k. Some guy who claimed to be a kung fu teacher in the park oposite my house where i go run, had no idea what kuoshu meant and thought it had something to do with some Benevolent association.

People in china dont know much about kung fu. All they know is Taiquandao (TKD), Shaolinquan and san da. They know Nanquan Beitui, but usually non of them knows what it means. They all practice nunchaku (how ever way you spell it) and they all kick like Bruce Lee.

Anyways, Ill find out about Hunan CLF.
    alot of ppl in china are not familiar with the term "KUO/GUO Shu", which means 'national art', because that was the term that was used for martial arts, before the communists took over china. which is why in hong kong and taiwan, majority of schools will bear "Kuo/guo shu" in their association name, instead of 'wu shu', only a small number of new schools in hong kong will have that name, and use that term.

wu shu is the general term the people's republic of china calls martial arts. i know i know, wu shu literally means martil art, but if you get what i'm saying, the term is was only widely used because of the communists party changing the name. we like to still call it kung fu, but they love to say wu shu.
    Last edited by chasincharpchui; 04-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.

yeah. weird. same language, all different ways of using it

i thought id find kung fu in china, but came all the way and realised there were more schools in johannesburg south africa, than in my city in china

chasingcharpchoy, i was recently offered a job in HK. I would love to take it, but ihave to think about my son right now. He is in chinese school and now pretty fluent in mandarin. Will wait maybe another 2 years before i uproot him again.

whats it like living in HK?
    得 心 應 手

Eddie:

Think New York City with even more people. You could have your son go to an international school as they will speak english and mandarin at most. My nephew goes to one so he can work on both his english and mandarin, while speaking cantonese at home.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 04-11-2010 at 09:00 PM.

hehe, yeah, but I havent lived in NY either. Ive been to HK a good few times, but dont know what its like to actually live there.

But for now I need to do the good daddy thing I guess.
    得 心 應 手

Quote Originally Posted by chasincharpchui View Post
    alot of ppl in china are not familiar with the term "KUO/GUO Shu", which means 'national art', because that was the term that was used for martial arts, before the communists took over china. which is why in hong kong and taiwan, majority of schools will bear "Kuo/guo shu" in their association name, instead of 'wu shu', only a small number of new schools in hong kong will have that name, and use that term.

wu shu is the general term the people's republic of china calls martial arts. i know i know, wu shu literally means martil art, but if you get what i'm saying, the term is was only widely used because of the communists party changing the name. we like to still call it kung fu, but they love to say wu shu.
    I had heard that the term kuo/guo shu (national art, of course) was simply a shortened way of saying "zhong guo wu shu" (Chinese martial arts). It's very commonly used in Taiwan, where many (most??) of the Nationalists fled to. Although I had seen some businesses set up there that are called "guo shu guans" but which seem to be quack TCM clinics.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-12-2010 at 12:01 PM.