Thread: Books

olkat314 Guest

Books

Dear All:

Does anybody recommend where I can buy some Praying Mantis Books? Furthermore, what do people think of Chao's Chinese Praying Mantis Boxing books, Yuen Man Kai's Northern Mantis Intercepting Boxing, and Paul Eng's stuff? Actually, what is Spear Hand anyway?

Thanks

Tak

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Spear Hand is probably "chop choy", but it could be something else.

Go search your local chinatown for any of the seven star mantis books by Wong Hon Fun. I think he did 38 different books, forms, weapons, etc... They will be little paperback books, around 100 pages, black and white drawings or photos. If you're lucky you can find them for $2 each.

mantisk Guest
    If you can find the Bung Bo and Ling-Bung Bo books (numbers 14 & 15 in the series) please let me know: greymantis@netzero.net

thanks

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Hey Mantisk,

Are you still looking for seven stars mantis books? I tried emailing you, but got no response.

HKMantis Guest
    You might also look for the Lee Kam Wing books. All books are good as reference material and to see how someone else plays the set. Some are even enlightening as to principles and theroies. It all depends upon what your wanting out of them. Not everyone play their Mantis the same nor are the all in english. If anyone knows of where I could aquire any of the Wong Hun Fun weapons books. Please write me at hkmantis@mail.com

HK

mantisk Guest
    Hi there Paul,
    sorry, but I dont recall rec. any email from you. please try again.

greymantis@netzero.net

[This message has been edited by mantisk (edited 06-27-2000).]

Ericsepishii Guest
    Hi there,

I am entering this post a little late, but was wondering if you ever got the info from Paul and also wanted to check with you - where are you located?

Do you have access to a Chinatown area that would have a store with Chinese Language Kung Fu books?

Also, what Mantis style are you studying?
    This would help determine what books you may want to be on the look out for
    (re: to purchase)

In terms of the English / Chinese language
    books related to "7 Star Mantis"
    from Yuen Man Kai, Lee Kam Wing, Paul Eng, HB Un; that are worthwhile to collect.
    The ones from Chao - I'm not too sure about.

There are some English / Chinese language books on Tai Chi Mantis by Tse Wing Ming / Yan Sang that are also worth collecting.

Also, there are various websites that you can
    visit that offer downloadable information related to Northern "7 Star" Mantis.

In anycase, if you have additional questions
    or concerns, you can ask me as well.

Note: I am a long time student
    (over 20 yrs) of Sifu Brendan Lai and have also studied a little bit of Tai Chi Mantis
    from the Chu Chuk Kai lineage of the late, Sifu David Cheng of Honolulu, Hawaii.

You can also contact me off-line at
    Eric_Ishii@playstation.sony.com

Thank You.

mantisk Guest
    Mr. Ishii,
    Thanks very much for your reply regarding books. I've never received any emails from Paul.
    As far as my style and teacher goes, I believe I should start by addressing you as Sisook for I've been with my sifu Tony Chuy for sometime now.
    And the only books I'm interested in are the ones from Wong Hon Fun. I'm missing numbers 14 & 15 (Bung bo and Ling Bung Bo). If you can help me finding these books or any others besides book numbers 1-16 (17 and above such as weapon forms) I'd appreciate it greatly.

Yours truly,

Mazi

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Mantisk, I don't know why my emails dont get through to you. I tried to give you all the info a few weeks ago.

The ling bung bo book was available last month, but it just went missing. The owner of the bookstore doesn't remember selling any kung fu books at all in the last month or two. I guess you're out of luck, unless you want books 2, 7, 8, 9, 12, and 16.

mantisk Guest
    Thanks Paul. but I've got those books already.
    sorry for the inconvenience.

Ericsepishii Guest
    Well, This is a small world...

A long time student of Sifu Tony Chuy,
    this is great. Your Sifu's a great teacher
    and a wonderful friend.

Ling Bung Bo is available here in
    the SF BayArea @ certain Chinese Bookstores,
    including Louie Brothers Bookstore in
    SF Chinatown (ph: 415. 391-8866).

Louie's does mail order & I believe that
    they currrently have some copies of the
    Bung Bo & Ling Bung Bo available.

Also, please contact me off line
    concerning other "Out of Print" WHF Books.

Best Wishes.

Thanks.