Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in full contact fights NYC April 10

Wing Chun in full contact fights NYC April 10

ALL STYLES WELCOME:

PRAYING MANTIS / BAGUA / WING CHUN / SHOTOKAN / GOJU / TAE KWON DO / KENPO / TAI CHI / SHAOLIN

We will be hosting our second championship qualifier for the CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE.

We have divisions for Feather weight (125-130 lbs), Light weight (135-145), middle weight (150 – 160), Super middle weight (165-175 lbs), and heavy weight (180 plus)

This event is open to traditional martial artist only! Presentation of style solo routine is required.

For more info call (212) 426-4666 or visit us at 1950 3rd. (corner of 107th street) 3rd. floor.

Event will air live on Pay Per View (Will you be our next Champion)?

$40.OO by April 1st. $50.00 day of event
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

when you say traditional styles only does this include thai boxing and BJJ as they have been around for quite some time?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    when you say traditional styles only does this include thai boxing and BJJ as they have been around for quite some time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    This event is open to traditional martial artist only! Presentation of style solo routine is required.
    How are those BJJ/MT forms coming along?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Actually, I believe that some versions/styles of Muay Thai do have forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Actually, I believe that some versions/styles of Muay Thai do have forms.
    I thought so, but was told emphatically, "no" by some MT folks I know. It may have been part of the old world version of the style.

In any case you could make one up, no?

That new one they made up for VT is lame.. They should have just done the dummy form without the dummy..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    How are those BJJ/MT forms coming along?

oh i see so styles without forms need not apply, since some forms of southern mantis only teach roads and not forms they should not apply then, same for the bagua guys that don't do forms just single palm changes.....but anyone doing a modern wushu form can join in cool

Yes old school thai has forms, ell the traditional dance done before each fight would clasify as a form in most schools, afterall it contains the schools signature moves
    and i am sure i could string enough moves together from BJJ to make up a form, afterall unless the judging pannel is made up of experts from all styles how the f*ck are they going to know if my form is real or not?

I think it is a great idea sound really cool. Hope someone is doing some filming and post it somewhere other then youtube, so I can see it.

ALL STYLES WELCOME:
    except

The fact that the ironly of this is lost on so many is a big part of the problem
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

PS: if I teach a pile of Muay Thai guys Heian 1 can they entire the competition? you said "shotokan" and Heian 1 is shotokan and pretty much every person on the planet can do it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    except

The fact that the ironly of this is lost on so many is a big part of the problem
    lol so true

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    PS: if I teach a pile of Muay Thai guys Heian 1 can they entire the competition? you said "shotokan" and Heian 1 is shotokan and pretty much every person on the planet can do it
    LMAO i would love to see this

Perhaps he's just trying to make it where its not another MMA match? Muay Thai and BJJ are great, but he's looking for the guys who don't do things that can be classified as "sports" as well.

I guess that means Sanshou's out too.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Is this the same comps that Adrian (Luke) once competed in, Phil? Or a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    oh i see so styles without forms need not apply, since some forms of southern mantis only teach roads and not forms they should not apply then, same for the bagua guys that don't do forms just single palm changes.....but anyone doing a modern wushu form can join in cool

Yes old school thai has forms, ell the traditional dance done before each fight would clasify as a form in most schools, afterall it contains the schools signature moves
    and i am sure i could string enough moves together from BJJ to make up a form, afterall unless the judging pannel is made up of experts from all styles how the f*ck are they going to know if my form is real or not?
    I didn't make the rules. The people who are running the show did. Personally, it shouldn't matter what style a person does. With regards to the forms the original MT did have forms and I don't mean the dance before modern MT matches. I know this because I watched forms practice when I was a Marine in Thailand.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Perhaps he's just trying to make it where its not another MMA match? Muay Thai and BJJ are great, but he's looking for the guys who don't do things that can be classified as "sports" as well.

I guess that means Sanshou's out too.
    From what I heard for the people running the event they want to have people who have forms in their respective styles get out there and try what they've been learning to test if it works or not.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr