Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Vikoga wing chun?

It's just names people, branding like Robert says.
    Even the Dog Brothers do it with their "dracula","zirconia", "interfaces" and a few other "propriety linguistics".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It's just names people, branding like Robert says.
    Even the Dog Brothers do it with their "dracula","zirconia", "interfaces" and a few other "propriety linguistics".
    of course it is but stuff like that is silly and poitnless no matter whos doing it.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

As far as I was told he went to a few WSL seminars. I got told from a guy that actually taught him (from jim fung's school) he was ****ed as he was the only person who wasn't on the list. He is on a wsl video at jim fung's and wsl keeps on having a go at him for his crappy translations, eventually jim has to try then they get Barry and his wife wendy (Wsl's sister)

I like this piece of music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtBJF...eature=related

because
    the beginning sounds baroque, then it later sounded like Mozart, after that, you hear some Bolcom, and finally, you get something... Chopin-ish or Alkan-ish?

I hope somedays there are those who could compose and evolve WCK similar to create the above music.

One certainly needs deep insight to do those fusion and evolution....etc , just hope that some good piece of art will come.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    of course it is but stuff like that is silly and poitnless no matter whos doing it.
    Well, you gotta name the stuff !
    You can use a chinese name to sound more legit for some people or use whatever term you find amusing or that in your view, best describes it.
    It's no more silly than a "Phoenix-eye fist" or "eagle claw".

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, you gotta name the stuff !
    You can use a chinese name to sound more legit for some people or use whatever term you find amusing or that in your view, best describes it.
    It's no more silly than a "Phoenix-eye fist" or "eagle claw".
    Yeah, but:

The Pentaphasic Homeostasis Model
    The Octal-Hexagrammatic Table of Concordance
    Sounds like something out of Harry Potter!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Yeah, but:

Sounds like something out of Harry Potter!
    yep giving names to specific movements can help students remember positions, eddie bravo does this (crackhead control, twister etc) but using silly sounding phrases to make youself and your style sound special is just silly

It old news guys, examples:
    Autokinematic response
    Matrix paradigms
    Mental and Physical interphase
    VISUALIZATION !
    LOL !

We see it all around us. Its human nature to make yourself feel special.

Don't tear vikoga apart just because he does stuff that all of us do in a way. Why buy a certain name brand?

Coca Cola much better than Pepsi (personally I prefer RC ) or store bought cola? Anyway, these days its better to buy "organic".

Labels abound, look at TWC, WSL, Chu Shang tin, Lee Shing, and others, including myself. We all do it.

Maybe vikoga is doing it to the extreme or blatantly...but not much different than anyone else.

Maybe we should start a contest...

...A prize for who amoungst us can up with a brand new name for a new wing chun style. A super name that all of us wished we had thought of first.

Or perhaps three winners if we get a lot of responses: Gold, Silver, Bronze.

But listen, don't just give a name, also give a sentence or two as to what is it about this new style of wing chun that merits this name!

Labels should help the learning process, not hinder it. OK, I agree that the original Chinese terms might be just as bad but that is the legacy; why replace one "confusing" term with another.

Victor, we don't need to make up anything - true life is stranger than fiction! LOL!

I still think T's Red and Black Checkered Flag WCK was the real deal!

D a m n, Robert...you've ruined my contest. I really thought I'd be getting the GOLD.

I was gonna go with "ULTIMATE WING CHUN"...

5hit !!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I teach some students with various forms of autism, many quite high on the intellectual scale-borderline genius. They speak like that.
    They also attend Star Trek conventions....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

My view on a new start-up are that most doesnt get enough depth, similar to make tea with cold water instead of cooking with hot water That is sad because they didnt realized their ideas and innovation.

If they go one step deeper or further, then lots of things changes. one can really smell the tea.

For example, we all talk about Fajin....etc and Structure....ect. and look around, after a decade or so of talking fajin and structure, everyone knows the term, and they incoorporate the term into their art as they think; but how many really know the "it"? not to mention, how many has travelled deeper than what was talked about decades ago?

I found most people stay at the rooting, the dan dien, the ... level. Those are not it, it cant be and it needs to go deeper to really know what is going on.

if that has been a deeper development, then lots of things will not be the same today. IE not that easy to get take down....etc.

So, that is how all these pop understanding and terms goes. like a pop song everyone sings and then forget years later without even know what it is eventhough one remember the name of the song.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-12-2010 at 12:50 PM.