Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Vikoga wing chun?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, you gotta name the stuff !
    You can use a chinese name to sound more legit for some people or use whatever term you find amusing or that in your view, best describes it.
    It's no more silly than a "Phoenix-eye fist" or "eagle claw".
    well thats just it call a punch and a punch GOD D AMN IT!! lol

stuff like this just comes off to dungeons and dragons for me i like the no nonsense approach you know for those of us who dont want to be jedis

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    ...A prize for who amoungst us can up with a brand new name for a new wing chun style. A super name that all of us wished we had thought of first.

Or perhaps three winners if we get a lot of responses: Gold, Silver, Bronze.

But listen, don't just give a name, also give a sentence or two as to what is it about this new style of wing chun that merits this name!
    i have seen somewhere that it used to be known as 'Coming Home Boxing' or somesuch similar

The terms you use to describe something should be simple, direct and to the point. Anything else just ain't wing chun.

If you sound like you're full of nonsense and mumbo jumbo, common logic dictates that you probably are. Just look at Hendrik

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    The terms you use to describe something should be simple, direct and to the point. Anything else just ain't wing chun.

If you sound like you're full of nonsense and mumbo jumbo, common logic dictates that you probably are. Just look at Hendrik

The reason there is partial differential equations is because the basic math cant describe what is going on.

However, that is very different then coin some term just to make it different for marketing purpose.

And,

Basic math common logic doesnt work well in partial differential equation because expanding of the logic is needed.

As for Wck, if one stuck with the so called simple and common sense, one will not be able to do short jin, that is forsure. If one stuck with the common believe of rooting then one cant get to the advance dynamic power generation level. That too is forsure.

Hendrik,

If you want to keep adding special short micro jing to your WCK, you go right ahead. Perhaps you too can come up with a cool name for it like "Super dynamic sub space ultimate almightyness pop song micro short jing." Good luck with that, let us know how it turns out.

Back to the topic, so RC has stated that Vikoga is a mix of different WC along with Tai Ji and Bagua. I think that's kind of interesting being that the Bagua body is pretty much a 180 turn from WC. Having previously trained both Yip Man line WC and different styles of Bagua, I feel that they are pretty incompatible.

I wonder, what was missing with Vikoga wing chun that they had to add Tai Ji and Bagua to fill in the holes? Do those pieces even work together?

isnt there a buddha hand wc style that has bagua in it as well?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Goju, if you're referring to fut sao wing chun, they have a form called Siu Baat Gwa, but is not related to Baguazhang the Dong Haichuan art.

Hendrik,

If you want to keep adding special short micro jing to your WCK, you go right ahead. Perhaps you too can come up with a cool name for it like "Super dynamic sub space ultimate almightyness pop song micro short jing." Good luck with that, let us know how it turns out.

Back to the topic, so RC has stated that Vikoga is a mix of different WC along with Tai Ji and Bagua. I think that's kind of interesting being that the Bagua body is pretty much a 180 turn from WC. Having previously trained both Yip Man line WC and different styles of Bagua, I feel that they are pretty incompatible.

I wonder, what was missing with Vikoga wing chun that they had to add Tai Ji and Bagua to fill in the holes? Do those pieces even work together?

I dont know your wingchun.

For me, from the Yik Kam lineage,

Chuin Cheong is Chuin Cheong be it Bagua or Siu Lin Tau.
    Hua ken is Hua Jin be it Taiji or Wing Chun.

It is a matter of how deep one goes to know what is behind the label.
    It is a matter of not shoot down others dream when one no longer dare to dream the sweat dream. or even lost and confused.

All the styles, if they are a complete one, are just different gates lead to the center of the stadium. Some doest go far enough to enter the stadium thus they dont know. some got trap in front of the gate thinking they have reached the ultimate. Some got trap between gates trying to mix two or three gates thinking that is the ultimate.

As for the short micro jin, in a direct and straight forward way, if one dont know, one dont know WCK by 1850 standard.

Certainly, it is a fantasy if one trying to mix three gates without knowing it is not the gate but the enter deep into the stadium lead one to the ultimate.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-13-2010 at 06:40 PM.

No, if you look at their website Vikoga is a series of concepts that can be expressed with Wing Chun, Taiji, Bagua, etc. Not a mix.

they have a small following which included a couple of no holds barred fighters who valued their teachings enough to drive over 300kms each way to take lessons.

some of their senior members regularly throw their training partners across the room when practicing fa jins and stuff

the descriptive terms that they use, you can probably do it too if you understand the concepts and follow their methods but its probably easier to mock instead. its can be hard to learn new stuff if you are set in your ways so a lot of beginners fail to grasp the teachings

wing chun, bagua, tai chi, xingyi, they are all pretty much very similar in their internal mechanics and thought processes- just differing in flavours and can be simple stuff once someone tells you the formula

the guy has discipleship under some prominent internal arts teachers including one in kulo wing chun so I think he knows what he is talking about

those who mock are most likely the clueless ones. if you are curious then just visit them and ask why they do what they do, thats the road worth travelling and can do wonders for your own knowledge

they have a small following which included a couple of no holds barred fighters who valued their teachings enough to drive over 300kms each way to take lessons.
    Ok, so who are they and where are the results of their VIKOGA training?

some of their senior members regularly throw their training partners across the room when practicing fa jins and stuff
    Same thing back when i did Moy Yat WC. Fa Jing is nothing special, every chinese martial art pretty much has it.

the descriptive terms that they use, you can probably do it too if you understand the concepts and follow their methods but its probably easier to mock instead. its can be hard to learn new stuff if you are set in your ways so a lot of beginners fail to grasp the teachings
    Ah, i see, because their terms are ridiculous I clearly don't understand.

wing chun, bagua, tai chi, xingyi, they are all pretty much very similar in their internal mechanics and thought processes- just differing in flavours and can be simple stuff once someone tells you the formula
    Bagua, Tai Ji and Xingyi are all closely related, no doubt. Wing Chun is not though. As I said above, the body expression is totally different and the source is totally different.

the guy has discipleship under some prominent internal arts teachers including one in kulo wing chun so I think he knows what he is talking about
    Discipleship doesn't mean jack unless you put in the time, I see guys claiming to be disciples of this and that all the time. Who are these "prominent internal arts teachers?" I don't see them listed in his chart.

those who mock are most likely the clueless ones. if you are curious then just visit them and ask why they do what they do, thats the road worth travelling and can do wonders for your own knowledge
    No qualms about going the distance to meet someone who is worth it, but it's up to them to prove that they are worth it. Starting out with a bunch of nonsensical terms and a lineage chart that basically lists everyone under the sun in the Yip Man family isn't really a great place to start.

2003 is calling and wants its thread back ... http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=27145

Same thing back when i did Moy Yat WC. Fa Jing is nothing special, every chinese martial art pretty much has it.

what is Fajing? what is the result and how to do it?

Bagua, Tai Ji and Xingyi are all closely related, no doubt. Wing Chun is not though. As I said above, the body expression is totally different and the source is totally different.

That depend on who's WCK.

Bagua, Taiji, and Xingyi are totally not related in a begineer's eyes either.

I know the Vikoga guys very well. In my opinion they have very good methods and techniques.

The principle does like to talk "jargon"; it is more a bad habit than anything else. He would go as far as calling a speed hump a "velocity deterrence device"

He definitely has a kung fu obsession; and he had been doing it for many years and he had many top notch teachers; he is indoor disciple of Beijing Wei Shuren (of Yang Tai Chi), Tian Keyan (Yin Yang Bagua Zhang) and Kulo Wing Chun Leung Wun Zi, of which many of you know Master Wei and Master Leung are both my teachers as well. He also has instructor certificate issued and signed by late Grandmaster Wong Seung Leung. He is also a good friend of Hong Kong Practical Wing Chun Wan Kam Leung, and Master Wan and him address each other as Sihing and Sidai.

In my opinion, all fighting arts share common threads, with different emphasis. After all, we all have four limbs and a head, we are all the same physiologically.

By all means, knock him on his choice of words and names (I do it at his face all the time); but one should not judge further without knowing more about the training and methods.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    By all means, knock him on his choice of words and names (I do it at his face all the time)
    I think that is all we've been doing.

But good to get another independent view regarding the training methods.