Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plum blossom mantis forms

plum blossom mantis forms

so i have been practicing plum blossom mantis for about 3 years now regularly. i studied in south korea for 2 years with a teacher and about a year now by myself back here in the states. im not great but i enjoy it alot and devote a few hours daily to it. anyway i have been looking onthe internet for videos of forms that i know so i can reference what i was taught and what i have deduced from the forms myself. but i cant find any of the forms i was taught online except for one which is bong bo ive found tons of videos of seven star practiioners performing that with a few minor differences from what i was taught in plum blossom but basically the same. anyway i just wanted to list the name of my forms and see if anyone knew them and could give me references online or in books. thanks ahead of time for the help.
    Forms:
    1.San Po
    2.Meihua Sam Sa
    3.O tang
    4.Sho En (this one is called tiger cub hunting it might be tiger style its a little different than the mantis forms.)
    5.kume gon quan
    6.Meihua Lo (he also called this Meihua Quan sometimes)

sorry i know thats not alot of info but anyone who has any plum blossom videos would be helpful. also i know a few weapons forms but my teacher just refered to them by the type of weapon so i dont know the names to look them up.

All depends on lineage, and using proper Chinese terms would be helpful as most do not reference the forms in Korean.
    Just train what you have, sounds like plenty!
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Kume Gon Quan is "Golden Fist," correct?

Who was your teacher in Seoul?

A lot of the mantis in Seoul is mixed with long fist (and even Bagua), depending on who your line comes through.

Most places share Little Tiger Swallow (So Ho Yun Kwon) and Black Tiger Fist (Hok Ho Kwon).
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-22-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Kume Gon Quan is "Golden Fist," correct?
    form in Pai Lum thats called "Golden Fist"
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

This is Golden Tiger.
    Is this one?
    Can you translate the meaning of the names of the forms?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq65L8HMhZI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plummantisgeek View Post
    6.Meihua Lo (he also called this Meihua Quan sometimes).
    The 梅花落 Meihua Lo, 梅花拳 Meihua Quan, and 梅花手 Meihua Shou are called 三花手 (San hua Shou) - 3 flowers hands. There are 3 different PM forms.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-23-2010 at 08:54 PM.

"Sho En" would likely be the form I learned (also through a Korean curriculum) as "Shoien", which I was told translated as "The Young Tiger Dances". Later I learned that it's name in Chinese is Shaw Hu Yen or Young Tiger Swallow form.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    "Sho En" would likely be the form I learned (also through a Korean curriculum) as "Shoien", which I was told translated as "The Young Tiger Dances". Later I learned that it's name in Chinese is Shaw Hu Yen or Young Tiger Swallow form.
    Chinese is Xiao Hu Yan Quan. Korean is So Ho Yun Kwon.

Other forms names you might come across (Korean spelling and pronounciation always differs wildly, though, and they never get the translation from Chinese right)

Mi Hwa Kwon (Mei Hua Quan) - Plum Blossom Fist
    A Ga Kwon (Yue Jia Quan) - Yue Family Fist
    Dae Ban Che Kwon (Da Fan Che Quan) - Big Turning Wheel
    O Ho Kwon (Wu Hu Quan) - 5 Tigers Fist
    Kerro Kwon (Kai Lu Quan) - Open Road Fist
    So Chu Kwon (Xiao Suo Quan) - Small Reducing Fist
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 06-24-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Hey Guys,

I have seen Xiao Hu Yan a few times, its a fairly common form. In China forms are very often called 'Xiao' or 'Da' (small or big), its not really part of the name, Xiao comes before and implies the lesser, more common and more frequently used techniques and Da implies larger more powerful but less often used special techniques.

Anyway, when a form is called 'Xiao' it implies there is a 'Da' or a Big form as a pair with it.

Is there a Big Tiger swallow in any of your systems? Da Hu Yan? I would love to see it.

Also where is Tiger swallow from? I'm assuming (looking at it) its a borrowed form and not mantis originally....?

Blog Entries
    Xiao Hu Yan came from Yantai, Shangdong. It's 1/2 prey mantis (PM) and 1/2 long fist (LF) form. There is a long fist logo "upward palm block" in that form that does not exist in any other PM forms. I have also heard Da Hu Yan (large swallow tiger) and Jung Hu Yan (middle swallow tiger), but I have never seen those forms. Some teacher change the word from "小(Xiao) - little" to "啸(Xiao) - shouting" which pounced the same in Chinese so he doesn't have to answer his student's question like this.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-24-2010 at 03:14 PM.

From Yantai hey? Cool. Thanks for the info. Would be cool to see the other sets.

yeah, I always thought it looks not entirely mantis. I wonder if there is (or was) an extant Tiger swallow style..... Its a strange name combination, I haven't seen it used in other styles.

Here is zhong hu yan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KS2o0wIKlw

My shifu, says these were taught as Mi Zhong Yi.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for showing zhong hu yan. The da hu yan is also on the same page of youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSme...eature=related

IMO, the 乱接 (Luan Jie) is a very important intermediate level PM training form. In this form, you train how to use your body to pull your limbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbB51...eature=related

and 摘要(Zhai Yao) is a very important advance level PM training form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QimLk...eature=related
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-24-2010 at 07:11 PM.

John
    What is the upward palm block you speak of, not found in Mantis?
    Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    What is the upward palm block you speak of, not found in Mantis?
    When your opponent punches at your face, you use your palm to upward lift on his elbow joint while your arm is straight. This will bounce your opponent's arm upward and miss your head. This move exists in almost all the long fist forms. It's a long fist trade mark IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f48lA...eature=related

At 0.17 he did a right palm upward block, left palm upward block, followed by a right straight punch. This is a very common long fist "entering strategy" for body shot. When he blocks, his body leans backward. Both of his arms are straight. That's long fist "full extension" principle, and not prey mantis "small circle maximum speed" principle. Also at 0.18-0.19 in the 鉤搂採手(Gou Lou Cai Shou), the circles will be too big by using the prey mantis standard (long fist always like to use the maximum circle movement to train full body extension).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-25-2010 at 01:01 PM.