Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is mantis enough?

molum_jr Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Young Mantis:
    I have a few questions:

Molum_Jr: Why do you believe PM having over 100 forms is a given? Only the CCM lineage claims to have over 100 forms.

HKMantis: How do you know Fan Yuk Dong only taught 18 forms to Law Gwong Yuk? What is your source? Curious.
    [/quote]

Sorry... When I mentioned 100 forms, that would not only include the mantis sets but also include mini-sets/auxillary exercises consisting of a few to less that ~ 20 movements, ching mo sets, and northern shaolin.

Young Mantis Guest
    HKMantis: It sounds interesting. I would like to hear more of whatever you find out. I am aware that Lo Guang Yuk added a lot to the Mantis system but to have learnt only 18 from Fan Yuk Dong seems little. Have fun in Yantai.

Molum_jr: I thought you were referring only to empty-hand solo forms. Yes, if we include into the count all the ling forms, other two-man sets, weapons solo and sparring, we are also well over 100 forms. I usually don't refer to the drills though as forms and so don't include them in a count of forms.

BeiTangLang Guest
    I am interested in knowing what Lou Guang Yuk added to the system. (Also, I think the 18 forms excluded the weapons forms)....Anyone?
    -- Also, Young Mantis, how does your forms list break down number-wise?? ie, open-hand sets, weapon sets, etc...???
    -- Anyone: where did the short sets come from?? Were they Chin-Woo sets?? or did the Master at the time create them for excersizes??(or whatever)...???
    Thanks in Advance,
    BTL

HKMantis Guest
    I must say you have made me work for this one. I've had to go through many stacks of paper that have yet to be organized but I found I it. The list of empty hand forms in Yanti is as follows [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]These are the Mandarin terms given in the E-mail)
    Cha Chui
    Beng Bu
    Shi Ba Shou
    Cuo Kang
    Fan Che (This covers both Da and Siu)
    Lan Jie
    Shuang Cha Hua
    Rou Ling
    He couldn't remember the ninth one
    Bai Yuan Chu Dong
    Bai Yuan Tou Tao
    Bai Yuan Xien Tao
    The Thirteenth through the Eighteenth are Yi - Liu Lu Zhai Yao

Then he lists two 2-man sets. They are:
    Tiao Hua San
    Zhai Kui

I know 18 sets doesn't sound like alot but if you look at the varity of techniques contained within each form you get a good grasp of Northern Mantis. This however is just an opinion and we know what those are like.

HK

Young Mantis Guest
    Go to www.northernmantis.com for a list of the forms taught by my Sifu.