Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: WC in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    People too often judge things by shapes and techniques. If they don't see a Tan sau in the mix, then somehow that translates for them as not being WC.

When in fact the real beauty of WC is in understanding and expressing WC's core principles.... Principles based on facing and range (TIME), occupation of space and key positioning (SPACE), and structural energy, rooting, and leverage (ENERGY)

Oddly enough, it is this same shape and technique thinking by certain "WC Experts" on this board that makes communication and sharing so difficult at times.

Anyways... nice post.
    This is all nonsense.

In the martial arts, we train to move in certain ways to accomplish certain tasks. If you don't practice doing this (here is the task, now practice doing it), you won't be able to move that way to accomplish your goals. Having a principle in mind won't translate to good movement -- you need to practice the movement itself. If you practice some movement but then when fighting use another movement, how is this good training?

You could say that tennis is really just "understanding and expressing tennis' core principles.... Principles based on facing and range (TIME), occupation of space and key positioning (SPACE), and structural energy, rooting, and leverage (ENERGY)" too. But that's all bullsh1t. Looking at tennis from thatn perspective won't help you develop as a player. It's not just that you do these things but HOW (physically) you do them, whether you are accomplishing your objectives, if you are able to use your tools (techniques), etc.

A forehand drive is a part/tool of tennis, just as a tan sao is a part/tool of WCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    When WC works successfully (at least against someone who is skilled, conditioned, and knows something about striking, groundfighting, and takedowns), it will look pretty much like you saw in the clip. Changing the rules and getting rid of the equipment will not change anything at all. The old no-rules vale tudo fights pretty much showed that fighting looks pretty much the same when it is trained multi-discipline fighter vs. trained multi-discipline fighter.

Theoretical, fantasy, non-fighters who have never gone full contact against another person with multi-discipline skills will probably never understand this, however.
    true very true i remember the old no rules days and the fights looked exactly like they do today, only much wilder and less skilled

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    there are lots of videos out there. if the only evidence you consider valid is winning an MMA fight, that is another thing.
    really? not being an a$s but where are they, because outside of alot of demos and guys showing how it should be done no one has posted any actual fight footage (MMA, shanshu, street fighting or even full contact sparring) showing real wing chun in action that people agree is real wing chun and a good example of the style in use perhaps you can?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    This is my point. It is a ruleset and an environment. In order to compete there everyone has to adopt and adapt. They end up with the same ruleset so they pretty much end up having to use the same fighting techniques and methods as everyone else. I can not and probably never could compete in the ring, as it is with most everyone else. We have exceptional individuals that shine there, and a whole bunch of other people that really want to. A gung fu system is designed to be used in a way as to make you equal to others as best as possible. In the ruleset environment of MMA you also have to be extremely fit in order to compete with any real expectations. Just look at the top fighters in MMA today. Would you have any prayer of a chance in beating any one of them? No. Most of us wouldn't. Some of them got caught shooting steriods to make them stronger. This is the key with MMA. Learning and skill are following far behind physical training and strength training. In order to get a fellow into an arm bar, kemora? You have to be stronger than he is in order to force the arm into position and hold it. And if you are not strong enough it won't happen, or he just might force his arm out of it. Just look at all the top guys. They are all well above average in what they do. Everyone else is just wishing. You can not reasonably expect any none sport fighting system to be able to do anything in such an environment.
    My lord do you really believe all this, you need to think through your sentences before posting them this is wrong on so many levels it’s not even funny

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    My lord do you really believe all this, you need to think through your sentences before posting them this is wrong on so many levels it’s not even funny
    You have just expressed my sentiments for 97% of all posts on this forum!

really? not being an a$s but where are they, because outside of alot of demos and guys showing how it should be done no one has posted any actual fight footage (MMA, shanshu, street fighting or even full contact sparring) showing real wing chun in action that people agree is real wing chun and a good example of the style in use perhaps you can?
    I think he said the clips of Phil's guys are good examples of WC being used.

You pretty much have to disregard everything that guy posts because he is clearly posting from a fantasy, made-up world view.

Obviously LCP has chain blasted the correct and shattered your little glass world of MMA !!!
    Don't hate !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    You pretty much have to disregard everything that guy posts because he is clearly posting from a fantasy, made-up world view.
    I will say it again -- You have just expressed my sentiments for 97% of all posts on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Obviously LCP has chain blasted the correct and shattered your little glass world of MMA !!!
    Don't hate !!
    i have never seen so much rubbish in one post before it is mesing eith my mind thats true

i have never seen so much rubbish in one post before it is mesing eith my mind thats true
    You need to get out in the WC forums more !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

From the Chi Sau thread....

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I get dynamic weight training. I am always to striving to get a person's weight on top of me, so I can manipulate it, guide it, control it, throw it and set up linked strikes from the manipulation.

WCK is based on indexing for tools - that is whatever fits in the gates at that moment, given the time and position relative to the opponent.

There are no fixed stances, only balance. There is no form/shape, only body structure in the moment. There are no hand techniques, only dealing with energy, which creates these moments in time that people call techniques.
    Sound familiar anyone?? Sure sounds like an interpetation of HFY Time, Space, and Energy concept to me!

But then we get the back track...

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    You could say that tennis is really just "understanding and expressing tennis' core principles.... Principles based on facing and range (TIME), occupation of space and key positioning (SPACE), and structural energy, rooting, and leverage (ENERGY)" too. But that's all bullsh1t. Looking at tennis from thatn perspective won't help you develop as a player. It's not just that you do these things but HOW (physically) you do them, whether you are accomplishing your objectives, if you are able to use your tools (techniques), etc.

A forehand drive is a part/tool of tennis, just as a tan sao is a part/tool of WCK.
    Come on guys... this good cop, bad cop routine is getting really old.
    Last edited by duende; 04-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    i think it comes down to why certain things are used. Like the hook punches, were they done for a vt reason. Ie closest distance, going around a block etc. Or was he just throwing hooks. Using vt is about using the most simple technique to make the most damage. Not doing something them justifing it by saying but they do hooks in bj. I watched the orrh video series and most was ok but alot was bjj etc justified using vt ideas. There is on gulliten in bj. Even the guy i learn shoot off said it was just bjj. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with mixing stuff to be a complete fighter but don't call a rear naked choke a vt move, way have been the best way of beating him but it wasn't vt.
    That's why I worded it the way I did. I would add that the strikes chosen should be those that are the most economical in terms of risk. Biggest payout with the least amount of risk.

A hook punch is described as a "tight C". I've also heard it called a "tight L" as it's still a straight punch--just coming from the side.

Within a WC mindset hook punches (if keeping in line with all its guidelines) should only be thrown when at that particular moment in time it is more economical and logical. So for example like you said going around a strong block instead of trying to move it. If someone has a much stronger arm than you are able to manipulate--what's more economical--trying to unsuccessfully slap it around to punch directly through the tunnel or just punch around it? A similar example would be because he's covering up through the middle and your arm is on the outside--the most natural and economical punch is the hook.

So you use the punch as you see fit to reap the benefits with as little risk as possible. It's right there in the forms--so why not use it to its maximum potential? When I spar, I don't sit there and pummel someone with chain punches while they're covering. I vary the punches, hit different targets, from different angles...why? Because it's the smarter thing to do. You keep throwing chain punches the other guys gonna know that and adapt very quickly.

As to the rest of it, yea, I agree that any grappling is a byproduct of their mma / bjj training. Otherwise WC would have been doing that stuff all along. It's not there's been an epiphany of the wing chun forms, its that some of the stuff is (by a looong stretch) being related to wing chun's forms.

Kinda like how people try to fit all the stuff going on in the world to prophecies told by people thousands of years ago. It could fit, but it doesn't mean that it was meant to.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-14-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Duende,

I write my own stuff - not play good cop or bad cop. And my stuff is not an interpretation of HFY. Your view is this.

We live in a 4-D world: height, width, depth and time, so its all slivers of reality, (perhaps this is branding, too).

Your TSE theories seem to be Wave Theory related to what Einstein postulated and a cross between Buddhist theories.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Duende,

I write my own stuff - not play good cop or bad cop. And my stuff is not an interpretation of HFY. Your view is this.

We live in a 4-D world: height, width, depth and time, so its all slivers of reality, (perhaps this is branding, too).

Your TSE theories seem to be Wave Theory related to what Einstein postulated and a cross between Buddhist theories.
    And if you did borrow.... no one should care.