Thread: Anyone here train or have trained under Scott Baker? (From New Zealand)

Hybrid View

Anyone here train or have trained under Scott Baker? (From New Zealand)

Just curious...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Just curious...
    I trained some years ago with Scott when he visited me -- he has quite a bit of fighting experience (including UFC 2).

Cool...so in that one session...what did you guys work on? What was your assessment of him? You can PM if you like.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Cool...so in that one session...what did you guys work on? What was your assessment of him? You can PM if you like.
    No need to PM. Scott is a really nice guy, is very good at what he does (though we do things differently), knows the WT curriculum very well, and is open-minded. He also has a lot of fighting experience.

When we met, we spent most of our time working on the WCK weapons (pole and knives), although I did show him - because he asked - a little bit of our approach to WCK and we did mix it up a little (mainly for illustration purposes) -- but he went easy on me because at the time I was still wearing a knee brace, recovering from a dislocated knee that I got training.

Awesome. I've been working with him as of late And found the same to be true. I never heard any mention of him here so I was curious to see if anyone else had experience with him to share with.

^^
    Is he the internally "biased" sifu you've mentioned before?
    How does this approach differ to what you practiced previously?

Thanks.