Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friendly debate on weight distribution in shifting

I hope they'll be a lot easier to follow than your posts.

^ hahahahahaha . He's gonna have a you tube video where it's all chopped up like a 70's editing job!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

a clip is easier to follow... i keep forgetting to take a clip. I will try this week. my friends who read my posts say the same but i try anyway !

The gentleman in the video clip was correct in what he said. Anything else is incorrect. Now, it is impossible to maintain a percentage of weight on either leg. We will not always maintain exact percentages because we simply can't, and there will be times when we will deliberately not. However, shifting and turning might be two different things, and simply turning requires you to do so on the heels to maintain position of the body, while shifting could entail turning on the balls of the foot, which in turn makes the body shift from one side to the other. The entire body must raise up and move to another location.
    Everything in Wing Chun is done a certain particular way. Every time. It is done that way for a reason and a purpose. If you alter that and do it in any other way you then violate the principals of that purpose. I'm not trolling or trying to make people mad. That is just the way it is.

Sticking to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The gentleman in the video clip was correct in what he said. Anything else is incorrect. Now, it is impossible to maintain a percentage of weight on either leg. We will not always maintain exact percentages because we simply can't, and there will be times when we will deliberately not. However, shifting and turning might be two different things, and simply turning requires you to do so on the heels to maintain position of the body, while shifting could entail turning on the balls of the foot, which in turn makes the body shift from one side to the other. The entire body must raise up and move to another location.
    Everything in Wing Chun is done a certain particular way. Every time. It is done that way for a reason and a purpose. If you alter that and do it in any other way you then violate the principals of that purpose. I'm not trolling or trying to make people mad. That is just the way it is.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good points. Some of the confusion apparently comes from folks not making a distinction between
    developing balance and torque adjustments one makes in real situations. Knowing and incorporating a standard provides a basis for variations.
    I have no problem with folks doing their chor ma some other way. Different arts have their own dynamics. BTW- I have see WSL's chor ma in person- he was equally balanced on both legs in his turns.

joy chaudhuri

yes wsl vt is moving to maintain a balanced stance 'I' axis line vertical , meaning weight is recovered to equalize and have the ability to shift in any direction required instantly.

speed of movement requires the drilling be to stabilize your stances, chi-sao is this weight /force transfer control amongst other things. We deliberately try to destabilize each other in drills in contact but fight from no contact. when we make contact with fists or whatever the connection from our stable stances ensures force is transmitted efficiently providing us with good strong punching/parries whatever, in motion as we fight attacking in or angling off lines of force using sudden waist pivots with pak sao counter strikes ...
    slt + ck. trying to over stick/chase hands in drills or roll and deflect stuff is the wrong thinking for us, we are trying to WORK the stances to be strong and have arms that are relaxed yet unyeilding when contact is made, striking out instantly with explosive force at hight speeds in continous barrages ...if you stick t much you tend to go in a different outcome. you want to find hands first rather than destroy the opponent asap.

fighting is movement striking with the freedom to express yourself in the here and now of YOUR moment, using these things from drilling....to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    ^ hahahahahaha . He's gonna have a you tube video where it's all chopped up like a 70's editing job!
    hah ! Ill use the Abbott and Costello routine " whos on first whats on second routine as the explanation" ....and "I dont know's on third" btw
    or
    the vessel with the pestle holds the pellet with the poison, but the chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true...but wait I thought the flagon with the dragon held the pellet with the poison.....

its easier hands on

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    hah ! Ill use the Abbott and Costello routine " whos on first whats on second routine as the explanation" ....and "I dont know's on third" btw
    or
    the vessel with the pestle holds the pellet with the poison, but the chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true...but wait I thought the flagon with the dragon held the pellet with the poison.....

its easier hands on
    ----------------------------------------
    Possibly a Danny Kaye routine?

D Kaye in a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court , a classic routine

abott and costellos routine is classic too.

via duck why not a horse ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I doubt if Wong Shun Leung ever used a 70/30 when fighting or seriously sparring. In TWC we use a 50/50 at all times except when getting ready to kick...at which point it's a 100% weight transfer to the support leg.
    As bipedal creatures, it is impossible for us to move without transferring 100% of the weight to the locomotion producing limb. Movement in bipedal creatures is essentially "losing balance and then regaining it again."

Yep. I was watching some science show and they were talking about that. The human process of walking is such that you are literally falling and catching yourself with each step. Interesting in that it doesn't feel that way.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

try walking forwards as you progresively lean backwards....

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    try walking forwards as you progresively lean backwards....
    Unless the laws of physics were repealed, you still have to put 100% of the weight on the propelling limb... and you are still off balance. If you weren't, it would be impossible to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Unless the laws of physics were repealed, you still have to put 100% of the weight on the propelling limb... and you are still off balance. If you weren't, it would be impossible to move.
    You can move and still be balanced.. When you move and are unbalanced that's called falling.. LOL
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    You can move and still be balanced.. When you move and are unbalanced that's called falling.. LOL
    Yes, you can move while maintaining your balance -- we all do this all the time. And when we move forward, we shift our weight from leg to leg (sometimes very quickly so it appears we haven't transferred our weight) while maintaining our balance. The 50-50,70-30, etc. weight distributions are only guidelines for beginners and pertain more to idealized postural alignment than anything else. In fighting/application things are much more dynamic.

As I look at it, we are never balanced but always in the process of maintaining our balance -- that distinction, while perhaps subtle, is important.