Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WC in MMA

WC in MMA

This is what Wing Chun looks like when it is trained and fought full contact in an MMA environment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR3beL5CWo

A good example of how WC should be used against another trained multi-discipline fighter.

Instead of focusing on what WCK will look like in MMA, I think it is better to focus the question more narrowly -- how will YOUR WCK look in MMA? Can YOU do in fighting what YOU train to do as YOU train to do it? That's the test for any martial art or martial artist.

The ONLY way to know the answer to that question is to try it and see -- fight/spar in a MMA environment. If a person hasn't done that, all they have is speculation and fantasy.

So, which one was doing Wing Chun? I couldn't tell. T is right, the only way to see if what you do works is to fight, but not in a MMA atmosphere. Everything turns into Muay Thai in a MMA situation. I get a kick out of watching the MMA fights on TV where they introduce the fighters as some sort of Martial Arts belt holder, but you never see it in the fights. You would expect to see some of each fighters trained skills, but for some reason all we see is the same thing with both fighters. Just like this video clip. It just looks like 2 amature MMA fighters doing boxing and slap kicking.
    If you are going to prove anything you are going to have to get away from this MMA thing and come up with a way to have full contact fights without all the rules and equipment. You are going to have to stop training MMA and training whatever skill set you have. If you train MMA fighting like everyone else does you will end up fighting the MMA way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    So, which one was doing Wing Chun? I couldn't tell. T is right, the only way to see if what you do works is to fight, but not in a MMA atmosphere. Everything turns into Muay Thai in a MMA situation. I get a kick out of watching the MMA fights on TV where they introduce the fighters as some sort of Martial Arts belt holder, but you never see it in the fights. You would expect to see some of each fighters trained skills, but for some reason all we see is the same thing with both fighters. Just like this video clip. It just looks like 2 amature MMA fighters doing boxing and slap kicking.
    If you are going to prove anything you are going to have to get away from this MMA thing and come up with a way to have full contact fights without all the rules and equipment. You are going to have to stop training MMA and training whatever skill set you have. If you train MMA fighting like everyone else does you will end up fighting the MMA way.
    That was awesome !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    This is what Wing Chun looks like when it is trained and fought full contact in an MMA environment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gR3beL5CWo

A good example of how WC should be used against another trained multi-discipline fighter.
    That video has been posted a few times. The winner is certainly a decent fighter but it is difficult to say that he was showing how to bring WC to the cage considering that there was no vertical fist, the crosses were all overhands, and he had a preference for taking his opponent down in spite of the fact that he had teh upright battle in hand.

I think that if one is going to show himself to be a WC man, he needs to go out and start throwing tight crisp vertical fists. Obviously, one should make adjustments as a fight wears one, but I can't say that this fellow represented WC in this instance even if it is his base art.

im gonna dig a big pit in my backyard and we can fight to the death in it

any takers?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

So, which one was doing Wing Chun? I couldn't tell. T is right, the only way to see if what you do works is to fight, but not in a MMA atmosphere. Everything turns into Muay Thai in a MMA situation.
    What I am saying is that I don't think it prudent to paint with a broad brush (what should WCK look like) but rather make the question a personal/individual one (do you fight like you train to fight).

You DO need to put anything you do in a MMA environment since that environment permits the contestants to fight in all ranges (stand up, clinch and ground). What good is your stand up if you can be taken down at will (which completely neutralizes your stand up)?

When you do put what you do in a MMA environment, you will find that it will force you to greatly adapt your game.

I get a kick out of watching the MMA fights on TV where they introduce the fighters as some sort of Martial Arts belt holder, but you never see it in the fights. You would expect to see some of each fighters trained skills, but for some reason all we see is the same thing with both fighters. Just like this video clip. It just looks like 2 amature MMA fighters doing boxing and slap kicking.
    MMA isn't a "style" or an "art" -- it is a ruleset, an environment. Fighters who compete in MMA, or just practice it for fun, do what works, whatever works. If you show them something that works better, they'll steal it. There is a reason that you see the same things in all MMA fights -- those are the things that have proved to work consistently, and so people adopt them.

If I put you in a MMA environment for 6 months and had you spar regularly, you'd start doing those things that work and stop doing those things that don't (since you'd keep getting killed doing those things).

When you don't go through that process, it is easy to fantasize about what you would or could do.

In my system, we don't use a "vertical" punch - we use a "diagonal" punch - a vertical fist held with the thumb upwards at a 45 degree angle. This is the same angulation of the punch I learned from William Cheung and Hawkins Cheung.

Aaron is using my system, at the end of the fight, he has trapped the opponent and is executing several punches in succession before he submits him with a guillotine (last move of Biu Jee).

Last move of biu gee is a guillotine?? I thought the last move was the 3 bows to budda or whatever people call it. Sometimes depending on the lineage some people have punches or kicks at the end. But generally it's the bows with the prayer palm overhead.

A guillotine?!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

When WC works successfully (at least against someone who is skilled, conditioned, and knows something about striking, groundfighting, and takedowns), it will look pretty much like you saw in the clip. Changing the rules and getting rid of the equipment will not change anything at all. The old no-rules vale tudo fights pretty much showed that fighting looks pretty much the same when it is trained multi-discipline fighter vs. trained multi-discipline fighter.

Theoretical, fantasy, non-fighters who have never gone full contact against another person with multi-discipline skills will probably never understand this, however.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    That video has been posted a few times. The winner is certainly a decent fighter but it is difficult to say that he was showing how to bring WC to the cage considering that there was no vertical fist, the crosses were all overhands, and he had a preference for taking his opponent down in spite of the fact that he had teh upright battle in hand.

I think that if one is going to show himself to be a WC man, he needs to go out and start throwing tight crisp vertical fists. Obviously, one should make adjustments as a fight wears one, but I can't say that this fellow represented WC in this instance even if it is his base art.
    The thing that makes Aaron's guys different than many tradionalists is that they get it. They know goal is not to show one as a WC guy or any type of specific style, but to use what works best in the circumstances to win.

There's a reason they are using somewhat differing techniques and style... because that's what works best. If the other stuff worked as good or better, they'd be using it.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 04-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Their stuff isn't all that different. If you take a look at their extreme wing chun series...its wing chun...just applied in a more mma type of format.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Their stuff isn't all that different. If you take a look at their extreme wing chun series...its wing chun...just applied in a more mma type of format.
    OK, it's the same. Whether you want to call it different or the same, that's pretty much what it looks like... just like most other fighting.

Last move of biu gee is a guillotine??
    I can sort of see that application in TWC, though IMO it is a stretch and if you tried ot do it as is the guy has loads of room to escape.

IMO the gum/tan/garn section in SLT is a better approximation of slapping on a guillotine.

Not IMO that practicing either form will necessarily prepare you to apply a good choke.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I can understand inventive ideas of application of the forms, but I never thought of it as that...though I can see it.

Though you're right, the only way to gain skill in applying a guillotine is (just like any other grappling move) you do it to someone who doesn't want you doing it to them.