Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is right and/or wrong with this posture?

Question What is right and/or wrong with this posture?

He looks like he's polishing his watch with his right hand to see if he can go home yet, and he needs a better fitting pair of jeans.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Blog Entries
    http://www.martialdevelopment.com/wo...-wing-chun.jpg

If you use your left hand to pull his left wrist to your left (his right) and move toward his left side door, his left arm can "jam" his own right arm. You don't have to worry about his right arm when you are in that position.

When you are using your left hand to pull his left wrist, if you also use your right hand to control his left elbow, you can apply shoulder lock on his left arm.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.

i think hes doing tai chi actually...although its still F'd up

We should be happy Robert Downey Jr. is a talented star and promoting WCK in general.

Nicholas Cage, Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran) and other celebrities all do WCK, and its great to have them out there and embrace their awareness of our art.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    i think hes doing tai chi actually...although its still F'd up
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elementary Dr. Watson- no!

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elementary Dr. Watson- no!

joy chaudhuri
    maybe hes doing wu style tai chi? doing this pose?

http://www.thealanwinneracademy.com/html/tai%20chi.html

otherwise i dont know what WC he is doing

He's most likely doing a fixed position of TWC's bong lop drill...

I see a few things that could be improved with it... but he is relatively a beginner.

Weren't we all at some point?

He is doing Chum Kil form. Is it not obvious?
    A few years back I seen a fellow teaching Wing Chun to Dallas Cowboy linemen. Was supposed to have helped them defend the line.

The fact is we don't know from a static photograph what he's doing, where its from, whether it's a transition or a finished movement, or what. So without knowing what his goal was in the movement, we can't say what's wrong with it.

Everyone has different opinions even on how deep the stance should be, how many fists are between the knees, whether the upper body should be lined with the hips or okay to be turned, etc etc.

I think he's a little off as a person, but hey its publicity. I'm ready to watch IRON MAN 2!!!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Seems clear to me he's doing a Bong Wu, changing to Bong Lop... I would guess someone told him to turn the hand first as he lops causing the odd hand position..

I don't know if it's so great that any celebrity "does VT". . It would be nice if a celeb or anyone made VT "shine"..meaning actually fighting/winning and actually doing recognizable VT. Not likely to happen in this case.
    Last edited by YungChun; 04-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I'm going with "polishing his watch"...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I'm going with "polishing his watch"...
    A: Dear master, in the middle of your demo, you rotated your waist, sinked your hip, closed your eyes, and there was a strange sound that came out of your body, a blue color mist then covered your body. Was that the "Silk Reeling Qigong", the highest level of CMA?

B: Sorry! I just far*ed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-19-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartialDev View Post
    What we can see is just one single snap shot in time, we all assume the meaning of the presentation of the moment.

I don't really see the movement as part of CK, the stand and body positioning is not there, the right hand should have been an tang sau?

As to being an bong drill, the elbow position is too close to the body, danger of being trap/pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by MartialDev View Post
    What is right and/or wrong with this posture?
    Nothing

The thing I do feel is wrong is how everybody wants to criticize someone who has used his fame to help promote Wing Chun in the first place, especially when it's quite obvious from the info I have read that Roberts Sifu and the training has had a dramatic effect on his whole life.

Big up the Downey Jr!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術