Thread: Subscription Arrival

Post Subscription Arrival

I have noticed over the last three issues, that the latest issues arrives at my local grocery store or book store at least a week before I receive it.

This may have always been the case, I just didn't notice.

This is the first and only magazine subscription I've ever subscribed to that the stores get the magazine before the subscribers. Is this normal? Is this the way Kung Fu Magazine operates because of the bi-monthly publishing cycle?

I'm just curious, because I hate to see the magazine in the store and not read it (especially when it's in plastic like this issue) because my issue hasn't arrived at home yet.

Thanks for the information ahead of time. I enjoy your magazine, I just want to receive it as soon as possible.

Chiefy

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Suicide View Post
    I have noticed over the last three issues, that the latest issues arrives at my local grocery store or book store at least a week before I receive it.

This may have always been the case, I just didn't notice.

This is the first and only magazine subscription I've ever subscribed to that the stores get the magazine before the subscribers. Is this normal? Is this the way Kung Fu Magazine operates because of the bi-monthly publishing cycle?

I'm just curious, because I hate to see the magazine in the store and not read it (especially when it's in plastic like this issue) because my issue hasn't arrived at home yet.

Thanks for the information ahead of time. I enjoy your magazine, I just want to receive it as soon as possible.

Chiefy

Dittos to Chiefs comments.

It's a trade off for a niche mag

We typically ship to our subscribers three weeks prior to the newsstand date. We ship at a book rate, which is slower than regular mail, but more economical. Sadly, our subscriber base is a little shy at this time to afford a faster rate. This means that some subscribers will receive their issues later than newsstand date. Note that the newsstand date is merely a suggestion. Unless you're J.K. Rowling, a niche magazine cannot control the release date so some vendors might be earlier on the distribution route and can elect to place the issues on their newsstands when they please. They aren't supposed to do that, but they do.

The benefits of subscribing are these:
    50% off newsstand price
    10% discount at MartialArtsMart.com
    Special inserts (like the DVD in our current issue)
    Free 'got qi?' T-shirt for two year subscriptions

I totally understand if you'd rather pick us up on the newsstands. Either way is fine, as long as you support us.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up Thanks

No, I'll continue to subscribe. I figured it was something along the lines of what you posted.

I figured they put the magazines out as soon as they received them.

I just read it on the newsstand when it is not wrapped in plastic like this month.

Thanks for the quick reply.

We appreciate your support, Chief_Suicide

I wish I could get the issues to our subscribers quicker as this is an ongoing situation. We just don't have the scratch for that at this time. We already delay shipping of the magazine to our distributors to allow the bulk mailing to get the jump, but some still get their issues late. My apologies there. It's why I initiated the 10% MartialArtsMart discount and toss the occasional DVD insert (although there are some ulterior motives behind the inserts too).

Not all the stores got the inserts - less than half of our newsstands. So if you want to read us on the newsstands, look about, and perhaps you'll find a non-polybagged edition. We just ask that you keep the mag in decent condition so someone buys it later. Support us with subscriptions or on the newsstand - it's all good.

Note that the DVD inserts cost a $1 more on the newsstand but it's free to subscribers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We typically ship to our subscribers three weeks prior to the newsstand date. We ship at a book rate, which is slower than regular mail, but more economical. Sadly, our subscriber base is a little shy at this time to afford a faster rate. This means that some subscribers will receive their issues later than newsstand date. Note that the newsstand date is merely a suggestion. Unless you're J.K. Rowling, a niche magazine cannot control the release date so some vendors might be earlier on the distribution route and can elect to place the issues on their newsstands when they please. They aren't supposed to do that, but they do.

The benefits of subscribing are these:
    50% off newsstand price
    10% discount at MartialArtsMart.com
    Special inserts (like the DVD in our current issue)
    Free 'got qi?' T-shirt for two year subscriptions

I totally understand if you'd rather pick us up on the newsstands. Either way is fine, as long as you support us.

To bad that subscription offer is only valid in the U.S. I went out this weekend with the wife and we stopped in at Chapters to have a look at the magazine. When i saw the newsstand price i almost soiled myself. When we got home i looked at getting a subscription but hence it's not as much a savings as i was hoping for. I'd love to support the mag because it's one of the best MA mags out there but it comes down to $$$$$.

Great work on the site and mag Gene.

you almost soiled yourself?

How much was it? And where are you?

International subscriptions are expensive because we just aren't set up for it. Some day, if we can manage a little more growth... Many of our international subscribers get a friend in the U.S. to subscribe and then forward it. It seems like a lot of trouble but it saves a lot if your tight on budget.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

mine got here today (Cincinnati). OMG!! It was totally worth the wait. Gene Ching? You guys out did yourselves best issue yet!!

Maybe soiled was too strong a word.......

How much was it? And where are you?

International subscriptions are expensive because we just aren't set up for it. Some day, if we can manage a little more growth... Many of our international subscribers get a friend in the U.S. to subscribe and then forward it. It seems like a lot of trouble but it saves a lot if your tight on budget.
    It was $6.99 CDN. I'm in Canada by the way. I know it may not be that much to some but for me, i was surprised. I can't see myself spending more than $5 for a mag.

Let's get a campaign going to boost sales to lighten the international subscriptions price for us canucks.

Glad you liked it, solo1

Sorry about that Canadian price, Brule. I'm afraid that's the cheapest we can get it to Canada at this time. It's even more expensive across the oceans.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up Worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    mine got here today (Cincinnati). OMG!! It was totally worth the wait. Gene Ching? You guys out did yourselves best issue yet!!

Got mine today too! I also live in Cincinnati. Go figure.

Already popped in the DVD and watched it.

Nice touch!

Sorry about that Canadian price, Brule. I'm afraid that's the cheapest we can get it to Canada at this time. It's even more expensive across the oceans.
    Hey, i even had a $10 U.S. bill in my wallet from my trip to the Carolina's last fall and asked the girl at the counter if i could use the bill and pay the U.S. price of $4.99? She didn't think it was funny, neither did my wife

Cheif where in cincinnati? wheres your school?

That's hilarious, Brule

You know, I confess that for a short spell, we printed a special Canada cover that only had the Canada price. When the U.S. market began its recent downturn, our distributors advised that because they were getting complaints about having to pay the extra dollar in Canada as Canadian money was worth more against the dollar. We stopped however because the price of printing a second cover wasn't worth it. It was an extra expense for Canada and there's already costs involved to get the mag up there.

I hope the Great White North will continue to support us.

There must be some delay to Cincinnati. I wonder what that's about. I'll ask the people who do our mailing if there's anything that can be done about that. I'm doubtful there is, but can't hurt to ask.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips