Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the Bad Boy of KFM?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Size = reach and THAT in of itself is a huge issue.

When I competed in kyoksuhin I fought in no weight limit categories ( typical of kyokushin) and limited ones ( Under and over 200Lbs).
    I was only 140-150 at the time and at only 5'-6", it was quite the task fighing guys full contact that were 4-6 " taller at times and in some cases 100lbs heavier !!
    Woot! Woot! Grrrrrrr!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONSIHING View Post
    Old saying: It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Determination often overcomes resistance. We have all seen it and most of us have stuck out in tough parts of training in our past to understand this.
    There is another saying. "it aint the size of the ship, but the skill of the sea man - but ain't no fool goes out to sea in a canoe...."

Who mentioned Pakour?? LOL!
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Years ago I read a story about a samurai swordmaster who was tasked to execute one of his mediocre students for some offense the student had committed.

Desiring to see for himself what part skilled played in true swordsmanship, he informed the man of the order of death and told him, "If you can defeat me in a duel with live blades, you will go free!"

He found THAT mediocre student turned into a tiger and the swordmaster was nearly defeated! So, at least in some people, it is truly the size of the fight in the dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    but ain't no fool goes out to sea in a canoe...."
    What about a kayak? The Eskimo 's did that!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    That's based on basic science and a gross oversimplification.

LOL! Do ya RECKON? bugga, there goes my Nobel Prize for science...
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

it was all summed up long ago with one simple little truth... mind is the path.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    it was all summed up long ago with one simple little truth... mind is the path.
    Except....."there is no mind", so "there is no path!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Except....."there is no mind", so "there is no path!"
    so there we have it folks... the bigger you are means diddly-squat to someone with the mental determination and commitment to tear you to shreds.

Speed + Mass= Power

while this is true when it comes to the human body and fighting, the larger person may not always be able to properly use structure and body mechanics to use his mass to its fullest potential

what matters is being able to produce sufficient enough force to ko someone and being able to get your attack off first

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    while this is true when it comes to the human body and fighting, the larger person may not always be able to properly use structure and body mechanics to use his mass to its fullest potential
    omg... this almost justifies the belief that big guys are all brawn and no brain.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    so there we have it folks... the bigger you are means diddly-squat to someone with the mental determination and commitment to tear you to shreds.
    If there is no mind there is no me, and no you, no attack, no defense, no pain, no suffering and no one gets hurt....or something like that!

Except that it really, really hurts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    It comes down to pure simple physics.

Speed + Mass= Power

If you get an object with a larger mass moving at speed, it is going to have more power output than something smaller with less mass moving at speed.

So all the little sticks who think they can create more power by moving faster, are not going to be able to create as much power as someone larger.

Hence you will NEVER see any lightweight knock down or knock out a heavyweight.
    In my experience the only people who have ever out right attacked me were bigger and stronger than me and I have fared quite well. Size is a great starter kit but I wouldn't build all of my hopes and dreams on that alone. Gung fu has been very very good to me
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

very good diatribe by fames karate legend chotoku kyan

NECESSITY OF POWER

"tradition has it that too much(karate) power is harmful to onesefl. This is very wrong, if one man has skill equal to another, and also has more power- in other words, if the difference between the two is power alone-it stands that the stronger man will win.However, it often happens that even the strongest man will be beaten by a weaker but more skilful opponent because the weaker man uses his technique effectively whiel the stronger man does not take advantage of his superior strength, in accordance with the theories of karate

However, if a strong man depends upon his strength too much, he will only be able to defeat the weakest opponent.This type of of physically strong fighter will never completely overcome skillful opponents, or those with similar strength as himself.He will fail completely against well rounded fighters because he doesnt have buryoku, martial power.Boryoku power does not come from size or stremgth but from martial training.

Sumo wrestling has Sumo power, and Judo has Judo power.All martial arts have their own specific power. this power is added to natural body power through training.Therefore if a strong man loses it is not because he is strong, but because he did not train adequatelyand/or correctly. If a strong mantrained extensively in the correct manner, his opponents could not use his strength against him and he would be free to use his full power to deliver the most effective techniques.

From ancient times many small peoples have become karate experts.These are the ones whoa re willing to expend ten times more effort than other people to make up for their weakness.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Size = reach and THAT in of itself is a huge issue.

When I competed in kyoksuhin I fought in no weight limit categories ( typical of kyokushin) and limited ones ( Under and over 200Lbs).
    I was only 140-150 at the time and at only 5'-6", it was quite the task fighing guys full contact that were 4-6 " taller at times and in some cases 100lbs heavier !!
    why is it so hard for people to understand this simple point? weight and height advantage are f&cking hard things to over come, especially if you are of equal or even close skill. you can get away with alot if you are bigger and stronger than the other guy, and for every video of a smaller guy knocking down a larger one there are dozens showing the opposite

Interestingly enough, in the prison system, the smaller wiry guys are often harder to take down and control than the big strong guys. While the big strong guys, of course, have strength they commonly have absolutely no stamina, so they tire easily and quickly. Once they are exhausted, they are easy to control.

On the other hand, the smaller, leaner wiry guys have more stamina so even 6 guys have a hard time controlling them.

We had one I guy, I knew him personally, he did a minimum of 1,000 burpees a day. He was very lean and of course had awesome stamina. It took a number of officers almost 30 mins to control him one day when he went off in the medical clinic.

BTW, he only had one leg, LOL!! He took off his artificial leg and started swinging it around at people, breaking things!

Did i mention he was also a psych patient? Who else would do a minimum of 1,000 burpees a day, LOL!!