Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best Martial arts quote I have ever heard!!

The best Martial arts quote I have ever heard!!

This is from the movie "Hero" w/ Jet Li. The quote is from the ruler of the kingdom of "Qin". In this scene..Jet Li is about to assasinate the king and while Jet Li is waiting..the king pauses and reflects on a piece of caligraphy which is written by a character by the name of "Broken sword". The king says "This scroll contains no secrets of swordsmanship at all".

The quote is:

"In the first stage, man and sword become one and eachother--here, even a blade of grass can be used as a weapon. In the next stage, the sword resides not in the hand but in the heart-even without a weapon, the warrior can slay his enemy from 100 paces. But the ultimate ideal is, when the sword disappears altogether. The warrior embraces all around him--the desire to kill no longer exists--only peace remains"

Very profound indeed...

It is one of the great paradox's of the MA that the best fighters and teachers tend to NOT want to fight.
    Of course that comes about form HAVING fought and having fought A LOT !!
    Sometimes we need to remember that "advanced" principles and ideal are just that, advanced.
    One just doesn't "come" into them, they ave to be earned.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnKXb...eature=related

quotes from movie coming out in april 2010.

學武要正宗、行事要正直、為人要正心

追影不追手、重心不重眼
    同門較技、留力不留手

1. learning Kung fu from original/proper teacher.

2. doing things/behaving/acting out of justice/fairness.

3. have a just/fair mind/intention

4. chasing/following the shadows/shapes/postures and not the hands

5. pay attention to the opponent's heart/intents and not where his eyes looking (intermediate move) (they can be deceptive) (think 2 or 3 steps/moves ahead)

6. sparring with students from the same school, saving/sparing force and not hands.
    (fight all the way just not using full force)

---

"I made a resolve then that I was going to amount to something if I could. And no hours, nor amount of labor, nor amount of money would deter me from giving the best that there was in me. And I have done that ever since, and I win by it. I know."

Colonel Sanders

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    This is from the movie "Hero" w/ Jet Li. The quote is from the ruler of the kingdom of "Qin". In this scene..Jet Li is about to assasinate the king and while Jet Li is waiting..the king pauses and reflects on a piece of caligraphy which is written by a character by the name of "Broken sword". The king says "This scroll contains no secrets of swordsmanship at all".

The quote is:

"In the first stage, man and sword become one and eachother--here, even a blade of grass can be used as a weapon. In the next stage, the sword resides not in the hand but in the heart-even without a weapon, the warrior can slay his enemy from 100 paces. But the ultimate ideal is, when the sword disappears altogether. The warrior embraces all around him--the desire to kill no longer exists--only peace remains"

Very profound indeed...
    1. in the beginning, we learn to fight with swords. learn all the methods with swordplay. moves. counter moves, tactics and strategy

2. in the middle, we advance the ideas and fighting methods to any thing we may hold
    a sticik etc

3. in the end, we have the intents of a swordpaly even without the sword, sticck or any weapon. or we may use the ideas of sword fight to apply to everything else in life.

it is chan or finding universal truth in everything in life.

since your intent is to end something or end someone's life or to persue some goals.

we may attain that in many other way other than the sword, other than the fight, other than ending some one's life.

1. at first, there is a sword/fight/kill in your heart/mind. we learn all the in's and out's of a swordplay.

2. in the middle, the sword may be replaced by something other than sword. there are ideas of a sword without the physic shape of a sword per se.

3. in the end, the ideas of a sword and you become one. or you fully understand the meaning of a swordsmanship/sword. there is no seperate sword in you any more. because you are the sword. the sword is you.

this may apply to music, carpentery---

this is zen or chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDgTAIPXC4

at first, there is a piece of music from a guitar

there is a song from singing.

---

there is the emotion/feeling of first love and losing and missing it expressed.

there can be a thousand songs and musics about it.

but the emotion/feeling is the same.

---

1 the heart and intent of a swordplay

2. the heart and intent of a weapon other than sword.

3. the heart and intent expressed by you.

--

there can be a thousand fighting methods.

there can be a thousand fights.

in the end, there is You. (all is expressed by you)

----

etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    "I made a resolve then that I was going to amount to something if I could. And no hours, nor amount of labor, nor amount of money would deter me from giving the best that there was in me. And I have done that ever since, and I win by it. I know."

Colonel Sanders
    lol you and your declicious chicken legs!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I always thought Mike Tyson had the best quote: "I'll f@ck you till you love it, f@ggot!"
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

im partial to tyson quotes also.

here's a couple of my fav.

"My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."

"He was screaming like my wife."

"When you see me smash somebody's skull, you enjoy it."
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    "In the first stage, man and sword become one and eachother--here, even a blade of grass can be used as a weapon. In the next stage, the sword resides not in the hand but in the heart-even without a weapon, the warrior can slay his enemy from 100 paces. But the ultimate ideal is, when the sword disappears altogether. The warrior embraces all around him--the desire to kill no longer exists--only peace remains".
    This is similiar. When I was:

- 20, I used light weight sharp sword to challenge whoever I could meet.
    - 40, I used heavy weight dull sword to defeat everybody I met.
    - 60, I no longer used sword, grass, flower, ... can all be my sword and I have no sword in my mind.
    - 80, I no longer fight, I have no enemy in my heart.

The best MA quote that I know is:

"When the fire just starts, the color is red. When it gets hotter, the color changes into blue. When it reaches to the highest temperature, it has no color."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-01-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Colonel Sanders
    True dat bawang.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

"When the right insight is gained and knows no obstruction, it applies to anything, including swordplay. The ordinary people are concerned with names. As soon as they hear one name a discrimination takes place in their minds. The owner of the right eye sees each object in its own light. When he sees the sword, he knows at once the way it operates. He confronts the multiplicity of things and is not confounded." - Shoju Ronin after defeating numerous swordsmen all at once with only a fan

This one from a 5 year old boy I overheard as he was encouraging another 5 year old while streching in our kids class.

"Don't let the pain defeat you."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "Good Kung-Fu is like sex. It has to hurt."
    -David Carradine
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.