Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Good Rigid S. Sword

Looking for a Good Rigid S. Sword

hey guys,

I'm looking for a straight sword that can be used for traditional practice. So far, I've been quite frustrated with the quality of most swords - particularly relating to the quality of the handle, hand guard, tang, etc.
    I've noticed that the competition wushu swords are much higher quality in this regard (they seem to have more than just a rusty screw-nut holding the whole thing together), but I'm not satisfied with how floppy the blade is.
    I've yet to handle the wushu competition taiji straight sword, and am wondering if anyone can give a product review. The handle region seems to be the quality I'm looking for - but i'd like to know if the blade is floppy or rigid.

thanks (first time posting here in years),
    krist
    Last edited by kristcaldwell; 04-21-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Check out the han wei products.

han wei has a good rep for their forge.

http://www.martialartsmart.com/weapo...ell-forge.html
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ive been practicing with the adam hsu han wei model (this is not combat steel, but stainless steel so it is completely rigid, no flex like a real sword, however this does help for training as you dont need the flexabilty but the design lets you know when you cut properly), and i enjoy it. my friend just got the han wei demascus straight sword....so sexy i want to take it from him but hes a better swordsman lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

true...but i'm afraid they're a bit short. being around 5'11, i believe i use a size 7 competition sword.

are you looking specifically for a wushu competition sword or just a nice straight sword that you could also use in competition?

Han Wei Damascus measurments
    Blade: 28 1/4"
    Handle: 6 1/2"
    Overall: 37 1/4"
    Weight: 1 Lb 11 Oz
    Point of balance: 5.16"
    Width at guard: 1.07"
    Width at tip: .69"
    Thickness at guard: .37"
    Thickness at tip: .17"
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

check your facebook email...

i'm looking for a good straight sword for traditional kung-fu. but i would prefer one with the correct length as well.

GLW: thanks man, i appreciate it, and will check out your suggestion...i can't respond to facebook messages from the office (but the kung-fu forum isn't blocked!).

Hey Krist, nice to see you here!

Traditional jian covers a wide range as traditional kung fu is very diverse. Do you want something really heavy or hand-and-a-half?

My standard rec for a trad jian is our Sharpened Single Taichi Sword. It's a nice medium weight piece.

A lot of people like Hanwei's Adam Hsu Jian. I find it a little light and short for me and if memory serves, we are about the same height.

Right now, I'm fond of our Emperor's Sword. It's a hand-and-a-half, and the fittings lean towards the cheesey side, but I like the blade. If you're using it one-handed, blades are easy enough to trim, but the handle would take some more serious modification.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i hate to refer out, if you cant find what you need at martialartsmart.com

consider dragon well, they offer ranges of sizes.

here is a standard link to a company that sells diff sizes of the dragon well competition sword.

http://www.seattlewushucenter.org/ap...ts/show/327177

Hey now, Lucas

We carry a selection of Dragon Well weapons. We import them directly from Longquan. The Emperor's Sword and the Taichi Sword above are both from Dragon Well.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thanks gene...nice to be here as well (and yes, we are about the same height).

i suppose i do need to clarify what i'm looking for: basically something with the shape and feel of the competition wushu sword, but with a rigid blade (i have the compeition jian - and that d@mn floppy blade drives me up the walls).

also of particular importance to me is a smooth hand-guard that i can use the "tiger's mouth" grip* when handling (this is why the competition jian appealed to me). that being said, the adam hsu blade seems to have the reverse of what i'm looking for in regards to hand guard shape.

*this is a grip in which the thumb and first-finger wrap around the hand guard while the remaining four fingers wrap around the handle.

sry ><

i think his major issue though is that he is looking specifically for a size 7 competition straight sword. i couldnt tell if martialartmart has that or not. my navigation skills are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post

also of particular importance to me is a smooth hand-guard that i can use the "tiger's mouth" grip* when handling (this is why the competition jian appealed to me). that being said, the adam hsu blade seems to have the reverse of what i'm looking for in regards to hand guard shape.
    my understanding with the hsu guard is that its design,(the entire sword) is for training purposes. the guard is designed in a fashion to help beginners avoid certain mistakes. essentially the guard helps remind new practitioners when they are performing certain things incorrectly. or so ive been told...

i do know that martialartsmart carries a size seven sword...however, my problem with that sword is that it has a floppy blade. therefore, i am looking for something similar in design and size but without the floppiness.

lucas: sorry if i come off as unappreciative regarding the suggestion of the adam hsu sword..i do appreciate the advice.

no need to appologize, i understand completely. cant stand the floppy spring steel myself either.

the hsu sword wouldnt fit your needs at all.