Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Victor putting on a good demonstration of WC?

Is this a good demonstration of WC in this sparring clip?

In your opinion, is this a good representation of how WC is applied in a full-contact situation?
    If you saw someone sparring like this, what would be your opinion of his knowledge of WC? Which, if either of them is performing good WC techniques?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftHkJClhQ0
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 04-21-2010 at 08:48 PM.

There wasn't a lot there to go by if you ask me. It just looked like a couple of guys feeling each other out.

Last edited by Knifefighter; 04-21-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Pretty poor IMHO.

There's no sign of simultaneous redirection and attack. Standing in front of someone waving your arms around is hardly a good application of any technique in any system.

There's no attempt to interrupt the attacker and counter, and seemingly no attempt to take the initiative. This appears to result in his head remaining in range of the longer man's jab the whole time. Every single strike the dreadlocked guy threw left himself open and incredibly vulnerable, and yet there was no desire to go forward through the man and punish him for his mistake.

There's no forward intent, and ultimately no ving tsun here.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

The block of his punch in the last vid - which lead to the takedown...was a bil/lop...with punches to follow - and then the takedown.

Thanks for posting that, Dale...I forgot about that.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-21-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    The block of his punch in the last vid - which lead to the takedown...was a bil/lop...with punches to follow - and then the takedown.
    What about the "raised arm" techniques in the first clip at 11-12 seconds & 18-19 seconds? What WC techniques are those? I don't remember learning those. But of course, I didn't learn the "real" WC. Since I'm so clueless, maybe you can fill me in on what those are because I was never taught those.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    What about the "raised arm" techniques in the first clip at 11-12 seconds & 18-19 seconds? What WC techniques are those?
    Bil sao by itself (both times)...no lop to follow (no opportunity for lop because I wasn't going forward).

In your opinion, is this a good representation of how WC is applied in a full-contact situation?
    If you saw someone sparring like this, what would be your opinion of his knowledge of WC? Which, if either of them is performing good WC techniques?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftHkJClhQ0

so youre basically what 50ish and you troll forums?

not much going on in your life eh buddy?

im out see ya fellas

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

pattycake the entire lot of it.

Nothing more.

TAKEDOWN?? rubbish, falling over is not a takedown! You just got very very lucky that when you got tripped over as the man was falling, that you reacted faster.
    Last edited by shawchemical; 04-21-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

What about the "raised arm" techniques in the first clip at 11-12 seconds & 18-19 seconds? What WC techniques are those? I don't remember learning those. But of course, I didn't learn the "real" WC. Since I'm so clueless, maybe you can fill me in on what those are because I was never taught those.
    After watching the first clip in slow motion I saw a biu/pak at 11-12. We do use a biu/bil sao like that in TWC. You can see it used here with a kick:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQH4M550M0
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-21-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Not exactly the best single leg I've ever attempted, but that is what brought about the takedown. He lost his balance because I took his leg, lifted it, and pressured forward - and also made possible because the punches were backing him up and putting him on his heels.

Admittedly, since I wasn't driving into him with the proper penetration you'd want to see (or a transition to a double leg)...I lost my balance also; but as you said, being faster, I recovered before he had a chance to counter.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-21-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Not exactly the best single leg I've ever attempted, but that is what brought about the takedown. He lost his balance because I took his leg, lifted it, and pressured forward - and also made possible because the punches were backing him up and putting him on his heels.

Admittedly, since I wasn't driving into him with the proper penetration you'd want to see (or a transition to a double leg)...I lost my balance also; but as you said, being faster, I recovered before he had a chance to counter.
    My point is that you should never have gone down in that circumstance, and the only reason you did was due to poor positioning of your feet and waist. Yeah you had him in a very vulnerable position, but you did nothing to capitalise on it. Just like the entire video set.
    -sun tzu

You can also see a biu sao at 5-6 in this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolIZ...eature=related
    I have so many more but it's late.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You can also see a biu sao at 5-6 in this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolIZ...eature=related
    I have so many more but it's late.
    What is that video meant to show but ineffective pattycake?? You can't KO someone by slapping them on the elbow!
    -sun tzu

Vic, was pretty content to stay patient. There just wasn't a lot there for me to really judge.

Two points:
    1. no one has to apologize for winning a sparring match.
    2. The problem with anyone who knows WC and other stuff is that they might just want to do other stuff for paticular matches or training. Unless Vic were to say, "Hey, look at me doing all of this awesome WC," it is hard to criticize his WC. In any event, it was a slow-paced match with not much in it.