Thread: Principles of shaolin wushu

Principles of shaolin wushu

Hey Team;

I believe it is essential to understand the guiding principles of wushu. If you understand the principles, the formula, then you don't need any moves or any form. Let us as a group try to come up with a list of the essential principles of Wushu, as a team effort. I'm not looking for lots of random small ideas. The fewer principles the better, the more profound. See if we can amalgamate several ideas into one more profound principle.

I'll Get the ball rolling;

1. NATURAL MIND: Wushu is innate. Just like the animals, we all know wushu without having to study any. We know what weapons we have and we know how to hurt an opponent. We simply have to unlock this ability in our minds.

2. NATURAL MOVEMENT: The stances in kung fu are abstract ideas to teach us. In combat we should move naturally, just like walking. How many steps do you take a day? 1000? 10,000? How many times do you practice xu bu? 1, 10? Natural movement. When you understand the essence of a stance, you can capture the essence without using the actual stance. I.e Gong Bu can be Xu bu if you feel in your mind the front leg is empty.

3. THE CROSS PRINCIPLE OF THE GUARD: (Shi Zi, in chinese the character for '10' is a cross, called Shi). This principle states that To defend from a strike, The defending arm must have a component of force that is Perpendicular to the line of attack. I.e You if the opponent punches forward, you need to block across, or up. Actually only a 'component' of the force needs to be perpendicular. I.e if the opponent punches straight you can move your hand along the same line of force, but rotate it. This rotation will create a component of force strong enough to deflect the strike.

4. THE CROSS PRINCIPLE OF WEAKPOINTS: If you imagine looking at a person from above, then draw a cross over them. The weak points of the human body are along the lines of this cross. SO a centerline vertically down the center of the body needs to be defended. There is also a vertical line down each flank of the body, from the temples and neck, down the armpits, side of the ribs, side of abdonem. These are also weak points. THere is also a centerline down the back of the body. These are the lines to defend and to attack on the opponant. They form this cross drawn on the top of the head.

5. PRINCIPLE OF THE 3 EXTERNAL HARMONIES: The body is at its most powerful when correct structure of the body is used. THere is a simple rule for acheiving this structure in every stance; The hand must not extend past the foot. THe elbow must not extend past the knee and the shoulder must not extend past the hip. THese joints should move together and balance each other. For every movement on the left there must be a balancing movement on the right. Picture when you strike someone, if your foot is already inside their stance your strike will be much more powerful than if your foot is back but your hand extends way out. YOu can strike outwards but only momentarily, you must return to this equilibrium position. With preference you should strike as close to this position as possible for power. Look at the coffee mug on your desk. Tip it up and roll it. Notice how it rolls smoothly until the handle hits the desk and it stops. THis is because the handle is extended past the equilibrium of the mug. Many people do the same with their hands during combat. Its not a problem for a momentary strike, but if you leave the hands their too long....

6. PRINCIPLE OF SHENFA: This principle states that you should concentrate on moving the body, not the hands. Do a move, like an uppercut. No do the same move, but don't move the arm at all, keep it locked in shape and only move the body. You will find you will still be able to do the full range of movement. Correct shenfa is kind of like this, only not so extreme. YOu can still move the arm, but you must move the body also.

I have more.... ANyway, take a look at these, what would you add? what do you take issue with? all open for discussion. A principle of circular movement? Straight line attacks?

Hi RenDaHai,

I have question about the 3 external harmonies with the following stance,
    shang bu tui zhang, done by Master Shi Guo Song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dFKKw9V5zc ( at 0:31 secs )

Is this to much forward according to the hand - foot princible ?

I have seen many different ways in videos of this stance.

I have tried to not let my hand pass my foot, but then my back is vertical , and i dont lean forward.

Hey Eugene,

I can't watch the Video as it is youtube is not available here.

I assume the hand is a long way past the foot? Its not a major problem. You can strike out but you should return to the foot position. But then again most people don't. If you watch Dejian or Wunanfang or even that other school (i posted Pao quan video of), They all keep within the zone. When people do performances they typically do not show the traditional kung fu.

Its fine to strike out, but build in a reflex so it returns somewhat, like a pulse. The returning is all part of the same shot of explosive power. It can be a little bit foreward, thats not a major issue.

Your back SHOULD be Vertical. I didn't write all the principles down. Another principle is that the central channel (a line through the center of your body from the perineum, hui yin, to the crown of the head, bai hu) is not bent. you can rotate round it but it should stay straight, vertical. Many people lean forewards to emphasize the form, and for some applications its ok, but generally you should keep straight. (if you imagine power coming from rotting the waist... if you are bent foreward then the waist cant rotate in the same way, it rotates at an angle which is no use to you). There are a few moves where leaning foreward is necessary but they are the exception not the rule.

Most people are taught to lean forewards slightly because it looks cool... Actually even if your back is straight it will have the appearance of bending foreward because you should suck your stomach in a little.

Shaolin is traditionally not as large frame as most people do it.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 04-25-2010 at 02:01 AM.

It is an individual learning methodology per the student so each must qualify to his needs and requirements! I learnt wushuchangquan (Northern Fist) over 35 years ago but as they started to develope "cumpulsories," I was less enthusiastic about doing this long term. The basics are/were applicable to most CMA as expressed close to Taijiquan principles so there is no need to re-invent the wheel. I tend(ed) and still do to stay away from the speed anf acrobatic critera so prevalent in present wushu competition but some may feel just the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    If you understand the principles, the formula, then you don't need any moves or any form.
    On high levels yes. I don't believe a beginning or intermediate student could accomplish this. Forms are required for the student to gain the physical requirements to be able to express their bodies freely and apply the principles and fomulas. I can teach martial theory and scientific formulations all day but without balance, coordination, agility, strength, endurance, timing, body mechanics, flexibility etc. my students can't apply any of the lessons. Their minds will have the information but their bodies won't be able to bring the ideas to life.

Is it possible to gain these physical characteristics without the classic forms? Yes. But the forms provide us with an easier and faster way to build our bodies and test our physical potential.

@Shaolin

I absolutely agree. Thats why we have forms after all. And I love shaolin forms. In all Chinese Wushu I think shaolins traditional form construction is the greatest. There are many levels to understanding the form, and the poetic sequencing of Shaolins forms beats that of any other style.

Never the less I think there is a problem in Shaolin Wushu today that many people spend too much time on form, and learn many many forms but don't understand any one of them well. So for those of us who already at that level it is really important to understand the principles. Forms are there to teach us lessons, but it is a principle itself that in application you should b e formless.

SO i want to explore the guiding principles some more... I have a lot more than i have written, but i want to refine them.

What I'm looking for are some people to add what they think are important precepts.

hey RenDaHai,

i have searched for a video on the chinese tube but could not find any of Guo Song. But thats ok.

I can understand to attract the audiance then people go a lil beyond the front foot yes. Somehow it looks * cool * because it may seem more external ?

http://shaolinchancity.blogspot.com/...xing-chin.html

here is another video i hope you can watch from there , It is a video at the bottom where Master Shi De Yang gets instructions from Master Shi Suyun.
    A lovely video on Xiao Hong Quan

Its the same stance, as what i was talking about only very different in shape.
    What you talked about ringed a bell and i searched again for this video and watched it. I think his back is close to vertical, and his hand is much closer to his feet then most other videos.

Its pritty hard btw to push or punch far forward with a diagonal back and then have your head vertical, it gets the neck in trouble

Oscar Wilde once said that nothing worth learning can be taught. I'm not sure that's 100% true, but I do think there's a great deal of wisdom in not trying to pin down to words certain fundamental elements of wushu, based on the understanding that someof the things that a person most needs to learn can not be taught - such as experience, temprement, understanding, etc.
    It's not worth a penny!

Hey Eugene;

Still can't watch it, it also links to you tube.

You don't need to worry about how it looks it a huge amount. For some techniques your hand is going to be beyond your foot no matter what you do. However you have to be AWARE of the principle. Eventually gain a feeling for it, knowing that once you break the rule you are vulnerable, and you need to return quickly. The 'wai san he' three external harmonies has a lot more implication than just position, it also applies to movement and how to balance your own body.

Keeping the torso upright is useful because it allows you to bend in any direction when needed and you can twist the waist for power. When you bend foreward this becomes more difficult. There is another Principle you should be aware of; Although the central channel (line between Bai Hui and Hui Yin) is vertical , the back hunches slightly around this line, so the shoulders close inwards slightly, the belly sucks in. This makes the front of the torso concave, which makes the target area smaller, and also compressed, pushing the muscles and organs together it is protected. THe back is shaped like that of a tiger, the shoulders large and strong. This also makes it like a wound spring, you can 'open' the chest at any minute to give you more explosive power.

@WaterQUan;

In china we often say 'gong fu shi ziji lian chu lai de' this means that gong fu comes from personal practice, you can't really be taught it. The profound realisations are ones you must come to yourself, if someone else tells you you won't heed it until you realise it yourself anyway. However the principles I am relaying here are not in that realm of Gong Fu, they are very basic and simple rules one should be aware of when practicing traditional Shaolin GOng FU.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Never the less I think there is a problem in Shaolin Wushu today that many people spend too much time on form, and learn many many forms but don't understand any one of them well. So for those of us who already at that level it is really important to understand the principles. Forms are there to teach us lessons, but it is a principle itself that in application you should b e formless.
    I agree. I like where the thread is going.

Ok Guys,

I'm gonna add one more principle, since i have been discussing it with eugene its already here.

ZHONGXIN PRINCIPLE: This states that the Central Channel, from the blood points HUI YIN (located at the perineum) to BAI HUI (located directly on the centre top of the head) the central channel must be straight and vertical. THe point Bai hui must be above the point Hui yin. I wasn't clear before but when we use this principle it is ok for the spine to be bent slightly, like a bow, but it is still straight as the torso is straight. THis makes sense for ability to manouver quickly and balance. When you twist the waist you want to twist about the central channel, so its no good if your body is slanted. Its Ok to reach during some techniques, but one should return to equilibrium swiftly. ANother principle that ties in here is to hold the body like a tiger. Close the shoulders and hunch the back so that the torso forms a concave shape, this way the central organs are protected as is the back and sides (to some extent). Also it means if needed you can open the chest suddenly to add explosive power to an attack.

To add on since its already out there :-)

When you reach out to much according to the "rules" make the rules and break them all, for you are the one.

Then sink from the closest joint.

Example: when your knees go over you ankles, sink with the hip for stability.
    Go forward further then sink with the sholder, then the ribs.

If you really want stand "bad" then move your head way over you ankles, almost falling forwards, then use all joints and sink them up and downwards to create balance. Do this also leaning backwards.

This will help you find the feeling of natural balance, once you feel this you can forget al the "rules" and you will always be in GOAT/ heaven earth stance even sitting down or sleeping.

At least that just my idea :-)

hey RenDaHai, thx for the reply, It makes me wonder if this princible of the 3 harmonies cannot be learned before learning a form, because it can change more then 50 % of the form in shape i think if one did not learn it.

With a straight line do you mean that this next picture person has to move his upperbody slightly down with his shoulders and head ?

http://www.kungfufever.com/shaolin/s..._statue_07.jpg

Statue

This statue exaclty is what i mean by perfect balanced position. All the joints are in sink with eachother.

Then use upward and downward power to make yourself move.

I totally agree that one must first learn to unlock then sensitivity before learning a form.. like Sil Nim tao.

I found from experience it is best done with 1 hand chi sau, just to get the feeling and the go straigh into chi sao.. explaining only what is neccesary, it must come natural.

From there learn your fist form.

In Wushu.. first develope your body sencitivity and find you centerpoint of gravity, then learn up and downward power, like lifting the water in tai chi.

from there every form will be nicer, but there are some more principles you will have to learn from here.

Atleast thats my idea :-)

@Eugene,

Yeah, thats a good point. It can change the form completely. I could perform Da Hong quan with the 'shen fa from 2 different sects and you wouldn't recognise it as the same form.

But this is something that can't be taught immediatly, it needs to be learned over a long time of personal practice. YOu will find your form changes dramatically as you progress and start to understand whats important.

As to the photo; This is a very dynamic stance (tui bu) it is not held, it is a transition. You move straight into the next posture, and it would Not be used as a 'focused' strike. So you don't need to worry about this posture. YOu can lean the body in this one. However if he was to try to hold it for the purpose of Zhanzhuang for example, yes he would have to move his spine a little to the right and sink his hips.