Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider this to be valid? Serious question.

Would you consider this to be valid? Serious question.

OK, this was posted on another thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYKML3jfwDA

I am curious about what your opinions are on what is being taught here. My WC is from several years ago and I never got further than SLT.

Lets not turn this into linage wars or another shouting match with T and Dale. I would just like to know what the general WC community thinks about something like this.

Thx.

Mike t

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post

I am curious about what your opinions are on what is being taught here. My WC is from several years ago and I never got further than SLT.

Lets not turn this into linage wars or another shouting match with T and Dale. I would just like to know what the general WC community thinks about something like this.

Thx.

Mike t
    F8cking hell is their a time machine around here its like we are back in the 90's

speaking from a grappling and not wing chun point of view that sucked, i thought this kind of cr*p had stopped being produced in the 90's. The shot was crap to start with, no level change, hands in wrong position, head in the wrong place no forward momentum etc, if the shot was half decent his defence would not even be an option, the arm would be pinned to the side of the body and he would be on his a&s, for f*cks sake before trying to show a defence to something how about actually learning the attack first

And LMAO at stopping someones forward momentum by raising your arm in a relaxed strike...thanks for the laugh

Thx.

Mike t
    I've seen a few clips now of Sifu Psaila online and can sort of see his influences and understand why what he does seems to work on film, for him, with his own students. From Jim Fung/Chu Song Tin?

Chu Song Tin was an 'internal' guy from what I understand, and much of what is shown on this clip would be 100% reliant on being able to root and disperse that hei gung IMHO! Something I'm sure his students can tell you he does well.

The simple fact of asking a WC student to 'mimic' other arts without the training is a silly idea too IMO and only begs people to criticize from that start point onwards.

Funny thing is, I've never seen a BJJ guy show valid takedowns against a student 'mimicking' Wing Chun, so why should we, as Sifus, even entertain the idea in the first place in our own halls?

Nice idea though: Wing Chun Diaries for Youtube!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I've seen a few clips now of Sifu Psaila online and can sort of see his influences and understand why what he does seems to work on film, for him, with his own students. From Jim Fung/Chu Song Tin?

Chu Song Tin was an 'internal' guy from what I understand, and much of what is shown on this clip would be 100% reliant on being able to root and disperse that hei gung IMHO! Something I'm sure his students can tell you he does well.

The simple fact of asking a WC student to 'mimic' other arts without the training is a silly idea too IMO and only begs people to criticize from that start point onwards.

Funny thing is, I've never seen a BJJ guy show valid takedowns against a student 'mimicking' Wing Chun, so why should we, as Sifus, even entertain the idea in the first place in our own halls?

Nice idea though: Wing Chun Diaries for Youtube!
    Nobody in that clip knew the first thing about takedowns or countering them.

Where are the WC people especially the instructors?

With the exception of one person none of them have any opinion on this?

I guess it looks OK to them.

Why would you ask WC instructors about takedowns and their defense? WC doesn't cover these things. That's like asking a wrestler about performing proper punching techniques.

Thx.

Mike t
    complete crap on all accounts. Although, I will say that back when I learned in the 80's we focused more on football style tackle defense which is a bit different than the wrestling take downs. I still teach tackle defense as it still comes up and aspects of it still apply to stopping the wrestling takedowns. If the techniques to defend were being taught seemed sound, I would not be too up in arms about a crappy double leg or what because IMO "shot" is a pretty generic term which could apply to several takedowns.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 04-22-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    complete crap on all accounts. Although, I will say that back when I learned in the 80's we focused more on football style tackle defense which is a bit different than the wrestling take downs. I still teach that defense as it still comes up and aspects of it still apply to stopping the wrestling takedowns. If the techniques to defend were being taught seemed sound, I would not be too up in arms about a crappy double leg or what because IMO "shot" is a pretty generic term which could apply to several takedowns.
    You teach the defense shown in that clip?

***THERE'S nothing in that vid that would stop a good shoot takedown.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Why would you ask WC instructors about takedowns and their defense? WC doesn't cover these things. That's like asking a wrestler about performing proper punching techniques.
    Sorry, but this is being taught as part of a Wing Chun curriculum. What you are saying is valid but I would like to hear that from one or more of the WC instructors. Or if they think this type of training is valid from a WC point of view then I would be interested in what they have to say about that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    You teach the defense shown in that clip?
    No, I do not teach that defense. I was unclear so I will clarify.

The takedown defense was horrible.

The shot wasn't such a big deal, it was just more of a football tackle which we worked against a lot in the 80's. Football tackles still come up so I still teach defense against football tackles as much of it can be used against wrestling takedowns.

No, I do not teach that defense. I was unclear so I will clarify.

The takedown defense was horrible.

The shot wasn't such a big deal, it was just more of a football tackle which we worked against a lot in the 80's. Football tackles still come up so I still teach defense against football tackles as much of it can be used against wrestling takedowns.
    why not just teach the defense to a good shot? is if you can defend a good shot, then defending a bad tackle is easy. the otherway around is asking for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    why not just teach the defense to a good shot? is if you can defend a good shot, then defending a bad tackle is easy. the otherway around is asking for trouble
    I do, but I think that it is important to be aware of the subtle differences in the ways that the pressure can come and explore subtle differences of how you can react to tackles versus legitimate wrestling take-downs versus maniac charges. Certainly one can take a one size fits all approach to takedown defense but that isn't mine.

I do, but I think that it is important to be aware of the subtle differences in the ways that the pressure can come and explore subtle differences of how you can react to tackles versus legitimate wrestling take-downs versus maniac charges. Certainly one can take a one size fits all approach to takedown defense but that isn't mine.
    So, what are the differences in the attacks and their defenses?

Eeeeeehhhhh No.

The principle of using relaxed internal energy directly to the spine is where he's getting this from. In theory--sure! In application--not so much.

I really like the part where he says "it only works if you're relaxed" as if to imply that failure of the technique was because you were rigid. Failure of the technique is due to its fundamental flaw of not training against someone who's really trying to take you down. Notice he didn't demonstrate THAT. That technique wouldn't stop a bad takedown attempt...which is good...because then they would drop that technique and find something that did work consistently better.

That's an example of being bound by wing chun rules to try and find a solution to something that's already in existence but is not assimilated because it's not "wing chun". That's just stupid in my opinion.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."