Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Give it up to the elderly!!!!!

better eat your peas or grandma will chicken wing you and make you eat em!!!
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Here's another!

Hey, I got a great way you can get your school in the local papers. Give your eldest student her black belt.

Seriously, congrats to Dingle. That's just plain awesome.

Great-grandmother no pushover at Tampa martial arts school
    by GEORGE WILKENS | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: July 12, 2010

SOUTH TAMPA - At Martial Arts Advantage, where students as young as 3 years old learn tae kwon do, Alice Dingle is a standout in more ways than one. The South Tampa resident who last week earned a black belt is a 72-year-old great-grandmother.

Long devoted to physical exercise, from aerobics and Pilates to free weights and golf, she was introduced to tae kwon do two years ago by one of her four sons.

"I did not know what it was all about, I did not have clue," she said of the Korean martial art similar to karate, but also employing a wide range of kicking moves.

Mark Dingle, 47, a tae kwon do black belt student at South Tampa's Martial Arts Advantage, knew it well. And he knew the workout was well suited for his active mother.

"Mom has more energy than all of us combined," Mark Dingle said recently after a tae kwon do class that included his three children, younger brother, Jimmy, and, of course, his mother.

Owner-instructor Anthony Kuntz, a sixth-degree black belt, said the martial arts school provides a family-based program. "It's more than self defense and fitness training; it's about family bonding," he said before leading the 45-minute workout for three generations of the Dingle family, and two dozen other students.

"Alice is 72 year young, our oldest student right now," Kuntz said. "She took our complimentary self-defense class and found she loved it," subsequently enrolling in women's cardio kickboxing and other classes focusing on calisthenics and improving strength and reflexes, said Kuntz, a Carrollwood resident.

"Receiving her black belt is a big deal. Receiving her black belt at age 72 is extraordinary," said Kuntz, who opened Martial Arts Advantage in 1998 at 234 E. Bearss Ave., and three years ago added the South Tampa location, 3801 S. Manhattan Ave.

Jimmy Dingle, the latest family member to get on board with tae kwon do, is on target to earn his black belt in four more months. "They talked me into it," the 38-year-old said of his mother, older brother and three nieces and nephews, Hannah, 13, Nik, 9, and Abby 7, all of whom earned black belts at the school.

"We have a really good time here," Alice Dingle said. "It's a great experience. To be with family, I think that's the key. And it's good exercise."

She is at Martial Arts Advantage five days a week. "Now this is my workout all the time," she said, though she occasionally steals time for Pilates or playing golf at the Palma Ceia Country Club, behind the home she shares with her husband, Jerry.

"None of that could compare with this," she said of martial arts. "I haven't gotten tired of it yet. "As long as I have good health I plan to stay here."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, give it up, you just posted that story just so you can type 'Dingle'.......

Tai Chi Centarian

150 tai chi postures? Well, we won't dwell on that. Happy 100th Mr. Fisher!

Local man celebrates 100 years with 100 tai chi postures
    Nathan Fisher, a resident of Dover, turned 100 on Tuesday and to celebrate he attended his weekly tae chi class at Rigby's Karate in Dover, where he and the other members of the class did 100 of 150 tai chi postures, in honor of Fisher's centennial.

By Sarah Barban
    sarah.barban@doverpost.com
    Twitter: @SarahDoverPost
    Mar. 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Zoom

Nathan Fisher smiles as Reese Rigby of Rigby's Karate reads a letter congratulating Fisher on this 100th birthday. Fisher celebrated his birthday by performing 100 tai chi postures in his weekly tai chi class on Tuesday.

Dover, Del. --

When Nathan Fisher was born, Woodrow Wilson was president, women could not vote and for the first time, prizes were being put in Cracker Jack boxes.

In 100 years, Fisher has lived to see a lot, but you would never know it.

"There are changes constantly, small changes," he said.

Fisher turned 100 on Tuesday and to celebrate he attended his weekly tae chi class at Rigby's Karate in Dover, where he and the other members of the class did 100 of 150 tai chi postures, in honor of Fisher's centennial.

Fisher has been doing tai chi for the past 20 years. He picked it up when he was out in Berkley, Calif. staying with his daughter. He practiced short-form tai chi, which is only 37 poses, on and off for months.

In 2000 Fisher, who is originally from Baltimore, moved to Smyrna with his wife, who he was married to for almost 60 years prior to her death in 2002, and his grandson. Several years after the move he enrolled in tai chi classes at Rigby's, where he learned long form tai chi, which is 150 postures, all of which are memorized.

According to Rigby's Karate owners Reese and Judy Rigby, Fisher is an inspiration to others in the class.

"I think he's made us think that getting to that age won't be so bad," said Reese.

"He teaches everyone to keep going, to keep active," added Judy.

According to the Rigbys, Fisher does things that would be impressive for a man 20 years his junior, everything from kicks to standing on one leg. Fisher said one of the reasons that he enjoys tai chi is because it helps with his arthritis.

"It just feels so good when you do it," Fisher said.

Fisher said that tai chi has also helped his mind, and the Rigbys chalk that up to the focus that is required to do tae chi.

Fisher spent his career as a civil engineer and, but despite the discipline required to practice tai chi, he makes no bones about enjoying his retirement.

"I guess it's all leisure now," he said with a smile "I do a lot of reading."

But the Reese said Fisher still does his share of hard work. He told a story about how, at 94, Fisher came into class late and apologized for his tardiness by explaining that he had to shovel the snow from his driveway in order to make it to class.

Fisher has a very down-to-earth attitude when it comes to celebrating the century mark.

"I don't think about it too much," he said. "It's just another day."

But that humbleness didn't stop Fisher from celebrating in style, arriving at Tuesday's class in a limo. Inside, he was presented with a shirt that said "I'm 100, see what tai chi can do." After they performed their 100 postures, Reese presented Fisher with letters of congratulations from Sen. Tom Carper, Gov. Jack Markell and from the karate studio itself. Dover City Councilman James Hutchison was on hand to wish Fisher a happy birthday.

After all the presentations Fisher blew out the candles on a birthday cake that read "1913: A very good year."

Fisher then planned to travel to his native Baltimore to celebrate the milestone with his family, some of whom are coming from as far away as Arizona.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Give it up for the elderly"??

Is that Gene's new pick up line??
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

hskwarrior initially launched and titled this thread

You've taken way too many blows to the noggin, lkfmdc, for your mind to go that direction with this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You've taken way too many blows to the noggin, lkfmdc, for your mind to go that direction with this.
    maybe I'm just bored, this place is dead on Good Friday

It needs a good resurrection.....

(see what I did there?)

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I see, I see...

Not bad.

But I still think you've had too many blows to the noggin.

I categorize martial artists into two groups: Too many blows to the noggin & not enough blows to the noggin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Here is a CLF spar form from Guangzhou..two old guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZESF2bY9CKs
    I'll not call that "spar" but 2 men form. Sorry, if I don't point this out, someone will.

Even if it's sparring, someone will say, "It's not full contact".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-29-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I've got 138 postures for sale!
    the other dozen come free!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

37 postures of Tai chi

that is about right.

the rest are repeats.

we may also include more kicks.

lots of stamping feet and kicks were dropped by Yang lu chan in late 1920s.

if you learn from chen old frames, and yes there are many and many long forms

if you place 2 forms together, then easily more than 100 or 150 postures.

Wondering what karate dojo teaching ?

come to think of it

both tkd and kara te have tai chi forms

but they are different from chen village

just have the same name

---

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    come to think of it

both tkd and kara te have tai chi forms

but they are different from chen village

just have the same name

---
    I have seen a ShaolinDo Taiji form. It's 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, and 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, ... If ShaolinDo guys design a car, their wheel will be square so the tires can rotate as 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, and 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, ...
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Old kung fu folks

I really enjoy reading on this froum. It's a riot ( funny ) at times and serious at other times . Old folks don't post much on here and that is sad.

Regarding old folks and Martail Arts, older folks enjoy doing what they can do to improve their health , it and makes em feel good, it also makes em feel younger and healthier.

Times are changing too , the old tradional Tai Chi forms are still around as are newer versions of Kung Fu for heath . As we age we can't do the kicks, jumps, scoops, body drops etc. but we can still perform Kung Fu froms with some modification and it feels good.

And some of don't need Viagara
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I have seen a ShaolinDo Taiji form. It's 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, and 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, ... If ShaolinDo guys design a car, their wheel will be square so the tires can rotate as 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, and 1, and 2, and 3, and 4, ...
    Completely misses the linking of movements that creates the flow of TCMA.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!