Thread: Celebrities endorsing TCM

Celebrities endorsing TCM

I'm hoping this thread grows along the lines of our Celebrities studying martial arts? thread. Our first celeb: Gwyneth Paltrow - see her latest GOOP Newsletter.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I've seen TCM on DR. Oz's show a lot.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Whoa, Gene... where've you been surfing lately? Sometimes I wonder how you come up with this stuff... Regardless, nice find and thanks for the new desktop photo.

cheers

brother ox
    Last edited by herb ox; 04-24-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Gwynneth does do skank ho pretty well...

Indra Nooyi

Who's that? The CEO of PepsiCo.
    PepsiCo CEO: 'If all consumers exercised...obesity wouldn't exist'
    Interview by JP Mangalindan, reporterApril 27, 2010: 1:02 PM ET

(Fortune) -- Having a vegetarian run a company known for shilling sugary soda and salty snacks might not seem like the most obvious match. But under Indra Nooyi's leadership, PepsiCo's growth has skyrocketed -- from the acquisition of Tropicana in 1998 and the Quaker Oats merger in 2000, to the much more recent purchase of Pepsi Americas and Pepsi Bottling, for $7.7 billion last year.

Currently, the largest food and beverage company in America receives $10 billion of its annual revenue, or 18% of its overall revenue, from what Nooyi likes to call "good-for-you" (read: healthier than average) products like Dole, Quaker Oats and Tazo teas. The goal? Up that figure to $30 billion by 2020.

To that end, she hired a chief scientific officer and several members of the World Health Organization to figure out how to take sugar and fat out of PepsiCo (PEP, Fortune 500) products and also to develop new food processes. For example, the scientists invented a micro-crystallized salt that could reduce sodium in Lays chips by as much as 25%.

Fortune spoke with Nooyi about PepsiCo's gameplan and how she balances consumer satisfaction with the bottom line.

You've said that Pepsi should be part of the solution, not the cause, of obesity. How are you and PepsiCo planning to go about that?

If all consumers exercised, did what they had to do, the problem of obesity wouldn't exist. But because society has changed so much, I think we can also be part of the solution by transforming our portfolio.

If I look at our portfolio, I think you can classify them into three groups: "fun-for-you foods" like Pepsi, Doritos, Lays, and Mountain Dew, "better-for-you" products like Diet Pepsi, PepsiMax, Baked Lays, Sobi Life Water, Propel, all of these products, and "good-for-you" products like Quaker, Tropicana, Naked Juice, Gatorade.

There's a place for balance in everyone's portfolio. Our overall goal is to increase the number of great tasting, "better-for-you" products and "good-for-you" products, while making sure our "fun-for-you" products still have a place in consumers' lives.

We are putting a lot of R&D dollars behind developing more "good-for-you" products that taste great and we're also investing in new sweeteners and salt-reduction technologies to make our "fun-for-you" products better for you. So we've made the investments and we've made it work within the portfolio.

When the company removed trans fats from chips, that cost PepsiCo, but the company never asked customers to pay the difference. From a business standpoint, how do you stand to benefit from making your food products healthier?

Yes it did cost us money when we removed trans fats in 2003, but it was the right thing to do by consumers. At the same time, we sat back and said to ourselves that we cannot ask the consumers to pay more for a product that's better for you than a product that's not so good for you. That was not the right message at all.

The wonderful thing about having a portfolio is that you can make a bet on trans fats and let some other part of the portfolio carry the weight while we're making this change.

How did other areas of the portfolio 'carry the weight'?

We increased our focus on productivity. The more productive we are in the middle of the P&L [profit and loss], the more we can reinvest in our business and still deliver a transformation of the portfolio and our financial metrics.

The second thing we've done is to look for ways to extend the scale of our company. In the past, it was how do we leverage the power of our company to get scale? When we did the deal with Anheuser Busch (BUD), in a way, it extended the scale of the company so we could get even more productivity to reinvest back to serve the consumer even better.

So our whole focus has been how can we reduce the cost of non-consumer-facing costs to reinvest it back into consumer-facing benefits.
    0:00 /4:57PepsiCo's Nooyi on 'new capitalism'

One of your goals is to increase the $10 billion in revenues received from "good-for-you" products to $30 billion over the next decade. That's pretty ambitious.

We've drawn a whole roadmap for the next 10 years, and I think it's definitely doable.

There's been a lot of organic growth based on the businesses we have already. Also, we'll offer fruit and vegetable offered in different forms, whole grains or any other sort of super grains.

In terms of dairy, we've got a joint venture with Almarai, which is a Saudi-based dairy company and one of the most efficient dairy companies in the world. It's a matter of expanding from a dairy initiative to parts of the world that needs branded dairy manufacturers. And then there's the joint venture with Sabra or Pips.

We're also moving Gatorade from being a sports drink company to a sports nutrition company. So, there's going to be a tremendous amount of innovation to take care of the athlete as a whole in terms of whatever they eat or drink.

But that's just in the U.S. There are many countries in the world where this can expand to. And we'll do acquisitions. So wherever there is an interesting company to buy, we'll buy and build on it.

You've compared PepsiCo's development in the emerging markets to the development of telecommunications. Could you elaborate?

I used to be in a telecommunications role at Motorola (MOT, Fortune 500), and I remember how things went from electricity to cable to fiber to wireless and the expectation was that you would go through that logical development, and then the emerging markets came and said, "Hey, we don't even have space to put down." We can't dig trenches.

Incidentally, why go through this evolution of cable to fiber? Countries like India said they'll go straight to wireless. They leapfrogged the logical progression, whereas many of the developed countries are still stuck in the progression because of the access they have on the ground.

So as we look at our own international development, there's no reason to believe that we need to go in and do traditional carbonated soft drinks and traditional salty snacks, then migrate to "good-for-you products" and "better-for-you" products.

Now, we launch "better-for-you" products simultaneously along with "good-for-you" products. As long as you're willing to build out a distribution footprint, you won't have to go through the logical progression and growth that we went through.

If we go back to the U.S., up until about 1990, the market was largely carbonated soft drinks and slowly started expanding into non-carbonated beverages. Over time, beverages got more and more good for you. It was slow progress, but it doesn't have to be that way elsewhere.

Where do you see consumer food products as a whole going over the next 10 years? Do you imagine even more momentum building towards ultimately healthier foods?

I think in the future - and when I say the "future," I mean the next 3, 5, 7 years - we're going to see a lot more food and beverages that start getting into lifestyle management. How do you have the perfect breakfast on the go that is the coming together of grains and dairy? You're going to see a lot more convergence of categories. You'll see a lot more from around the world transferred around the world.

How so?

Take traditional Chinese medicine. The longevity in parts of China is very, very high because there's a lot of traditional Chinese medicine that is based on herbs that really help lifestyle management, that really help body mass index down, that really help the longevity of the person. The question is how do we lift some of the knowledge that they teach around the world and then move it to other parts of the world?

Now, I'm not talking about "pixie dust." I'm talking about real science-based stuff. Think of it as developed by nature and improved by science. The great benefit of a large global company like ours is that you can actually look and see what's around the world and pick the best of it that's efficacious and science-based, that's approved by regulatory authorities and then bring it to specific countries.

The next frontier will be transferring global knowledge in a very targeted way, making food and beverage even more exciting as a lifestyle management product and then marrying that with tip-top nutrition education and making a healthy living through exercise and portion control an aspirational thing.

PepsiCo is extremely invested in this mission because of you. Where does your concern come from?

I believe that companies like ours who are large -- with market cap of over $100 billion -- we are like little republics. We are larger than many little countries in the world, and we are a public company. We operate on the laws of limited liability, and we owe every society in which we offer a duty of care. We owe them care for the environment in which they operate in.

I'm not suggesting we do that at the expense of performance, and that's why we articulate it as "performance with purpose." How do we deliver performance while not forgetting the fact that we owe society the duty of care? So it's this very delicate balance of managing for the short term and the long term that I think should define the best corporations for the future. That's how I want to manage PepsiCo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Supermodel, Elle Macpherson, recently said in an interview with UK tabloid, News of the World, “I have acupuncture regularly and I see a Chinese doctor who treats most common ailments with herbs.”

When asked how she maintained her health and well being, Elle answered, “I do choose to look after my body from a Chinese medicine perspective, which promotes and maintains wellness rather than treats illness.”

Elle is not the only celebrity that seems to have become “star-struck” with this traditional form of health care that is touted as being able to treat everything from anxiety to a torn rotator cuff. Gwyneth Paltrow, a longtime advocate of the benefits of acupuncture and Oriental medicine, once said that having acupuncture had guided her to a “new level” in life, helping her to find love with her husband and giving her the strength to cope with the death of her father. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Gwyneth Paltrow said, “I have been a big fan of Chinese medicine for a long time because it works.”

So what other celebrities are up for being a voluntary pin-cushion? Dr. Maoshing Ni, an acupuncturist in Santa Monica lists Jim Carrey and Helen Hunt as two of his many famous clients. In a testimonial, Jim Carrey said “Undergoing [acupuncture] treatments with Dr. Mao at [his acupuncture clinic] and following his nutritional advice has led to a marked change in my physical vitality and my general state of well-being.”

Celebrities have embraced acupuncture so whole-heartedly that they even schedule regular acupuncture treatments for their pets. Sarah Michelle Gellar of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame, has been spotted in Los Angeles taking her pampered pooch, Tyson, in for his acupuncture treatment.

Acupuncture is becoming more and more respected by conventional medicine, so much so that there were acupuncturists on-site for the athletes at both the Summer and Winter Olympics.

------ Well we get to add Elle Macpherson, Jim Carry, Helen Hunt, Buffy (Geller) and even her Dog.

MCA aka Adam Yauch

I'm pulling for MCA. Beastie Boys rock.
    ‘Beastie Boy’ attempting to beat cancer with vegan diet, Chinese medicine
    Eric Fortney on 1/07/2011 01:48:00 PM |

Update 1/8 9:00 a.m.
    From MCA, posted on BeastieBoys.com:

While I’m grateful for all the positive energy people are sending my way, reports of my being totally cancer free are exaggerated.

I’m continuing treatment, staying optimistic and hoping to be cancer free in the near future.

Adam Yauch, better known to Beastie Boys fans as MCA, reportedly won his battle with cancer by utilizing nothing more than a vegan diet and Chinese herbs given to him by Tibetan doctors.

Fellow Beastie Boy Mike D expressed his gratification to Allhiphop.com by explaining that Yauch’s recovery was a “good thing.”

Yauch was diagnosed with a tumor in a parotid gland in 2009. The revelation prompted the band to postpone production of its newest album “Hot Sauce Committee Part 1” and cancel tour dates.

Apparently the 46-year-old performer is doing well enough to consider a return to touring sometime later this year—if past is any indicator it’s a show that shouldn’t be missed by Beastie Boys fans.

TDIV wishes MCA the best during his recovery.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jennifer Aniston

Jennifer Aniston still hasn't picked out a wedding dress

And maybe that's a good thing -- because she also still hasn't recovered from a recent bout of cupping, judging from the blotchy pink patches left on her back at Tuesday's "Call Me Crazy" premiere. On the red carpet, the actress and newly minted producer told reporters a

flat out, "no, no, no" when asked if she'd chosen a dress to wear when she weds Justin Theroux. She was also unable to hide marks left on her back from the ancient Chinese medicinal practice of creating suction via cups placed on the skin to increase circulation and promote internal healing. The film, executive produced by Aniston and starring Octavia Spencer and Bryce Dallas Howard, tackles mental illness and its effects on the friends and family of those who suffer from it. The Lifetime movie airs Saturday at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
    It's a slow news day today...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

In all honesty, I was hard pressed to remember what Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck won an Oscar for...

Feature: Oscar-winning director takes a fancy to Chinese acupuncture
    Source: Xinhua | 2017-05-09 05:31:35 | Editor: huaxia

Photo taken on May 5, 2017 shows film director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck received acupuncture therapy in a Chinese medical center in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, the United States. (Xinhua/Gao Shan)
    By Shen Chenchen, Gao Shan

LOS ANGELES, May 8 (Xinhua) -- When the acupuncture needles were inserted into his body, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, the Oscar-winning director, struggled to keep smiling in front of his wife and three kids, who were holding breath and watching attentively.
    "It can hurt a little, but the pain does not stay, it takes maybe a few seconds then it goes away," Donnersmarck told Xinhua on Friday at an acupuncture clinic.
    Donnersmarck has been coming to the Beijing Chinese Medical Center in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, every week for three months.
    This 44-year-old German director is best known for his thriller "The Lives of Others," which won the Best Foreign Language Film Award at the 79th Oscars in 2007.
    Years of working hard in the movie industry caused Donnersmarck neck pains, and it got serious in February when the doctor told him he needed surgery. Then a nurse suggested him to try Traditional Chinese medicine and to see Dr. Wu Baolin at the Beijing Chinese Medical Center.
    As a recognized authority on Traditional Chinese medicine with a degree in Western medicine, Dr. Wu has been practicing in Santa Monica for 27 years.

Photo taken on May 5, 2017 shows film director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck received acupuncture therapy in a Chinese medical center in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, the United States. (Xinhua/Gao Shan)

Donnersmarck admitted that it was scary when he saw the acupuncture needles for the first time. "Acupuncture is a very precise, careful and caring process... the doctor can not miss by a few millimeters," he told Xinhua, "With Dr. Wu, you feel so much the deep wisdom, the experience, the knowledge. I feel it so much and I trust him."
    His trust paid him back. Without any surgery, Donnersmarck's problem was solved in one month. "I found that Western medicine can be very aggressive, and it has extreme side effects," Donnersmarck said. "But for Traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, they do not have side effects, it is about activating the energy and oxygen flow in the body, it is about helping the body heal itself."
    Another thing that Donnersmarck found impressive was how Dr. Wu takes Western medicine into consideration and uses that in Traditional Chinese medicine.
    "He is not against Western medicine, there are specific cases where he says this is better looked by Western doctors," Donnersmarck said when he took his family members to see Dr. Wu, who would look carefully at the diagnosis made by Western doctors. "He knows every aspect of Western medicine."
    Traditional Chinese medicine originated in ancient China and has evolved over thousands of years. Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners use herbal medicines and various mind and body practices, such as acupuncture and Tai chi, to treat or prevent health problems.
    According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Americans now use Traditional Chinese Medicine primarily as a complementary heath approach and millions of U.S. adults have used acupuncture in recent years.
    In March, the State of Wyoming passed its first acupuncture law, which has made Wyoming the 47th state to regulate the practice of acupuncture.
    Dr. Wu pointed out that there are about 54,000 licensed Traditional Chinese Medicine doctors in the United States, and half of them live in California.
    "It is not easy for Traditional Chinese Medicine to be recognized in the United States," Wu told Xinhua. "More people start to understand that Chinese medicine and Western medicine should be brought together. This is not an either-or case."
    As a filmmaker, Donnersmarck pointed out that, as more and more China-U.S. jointly produced films coming to the big screen in recent years, Western medicine and Chinese medicine should work together as well. People can learn more about Chinese culture through co-production movies as well as through Traditional Chinese medicine.
    "I think each country has great things to contribute (to this world), and I think one of the great things that China has to contribute is Traditional Chinese medicine," he added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Salma Hayek

Salma Hayek posts nude photo of herself getting acupuncture
    By Eileen Reslen October 15, 2019 | 10:46am

salmahayek
    Verified

Liked by
    jedinitekrew.emperor
    and
    salmahayek
    Verified
    I’m very grateful to all of you for your love and support. Yaaaay!!! You have gotten me to the 12 million!!! A needle for health and well-being representing each million of you. Gracias a todos ustedes por su cariño y apoyo. Braaavoooo!!! Ya llegamos a los 12 millones! Una aguja de salud y bienestar representando cada uno de los millones.
    Salma Hayek gave her fans a special thank you gift for following her on Instagram: a nude photo.

The 53-year-old actress posted a photo Monday in which she appears topless and her lower back is visible.

She captioned the pic, “I’m very grateful to all of you for your love and support. Yaaaay!!! You have gotten me to the 12 million!!!”

Hayek, who was getting acupuncture when the picture was taken, explained, “A needle for health and well-being representing each million of you.”

She also translated the message in Spanish for her international followers.

The photo has received more than 700,000 likes as of Tuesday morning.

This is not the first time Hayek has shared a revealing picture of herself on social media.

In September, the “Frida” star posted a picture of herself in a sexy, blue bikini to celebrate her most recent birthday with the caption, “Yes, tomorrow I’m 53. So!?”
    Yes, I'm one of Salma's 12 million gram followers. I met her once, at the Puss in Boots premiere. She is even more gorgeous in person. Photos just don't do her justice. Here's mine from our Puss in Boots facebook album.

THREADS
    Celebrities endorsing TCM
    Acupuncture
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips