Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Core Taiji Meihua Forms

Jake,
    Thanks for the input. I understand that Wah Lum is different in it's approach, which is why I was asking if any of the other styles have similar "short forms".

I'm wondering if it's isolated, or if it there are similar things elsewhere or not, and, what people think of "short forms" (i call them exercises).

Thanks,
    Josh

There are a few old things in WL and some that are newer.
    Eight Chain Punch looks like 'wind behind the brain' method.
    Cum La Sao looks like a variation of 'hook and smash'.

Shifu taught us, like "Shooting Star", "1 step, 3 punch" and multiple others.

This is from Zhang Bingdou. I think of these as the old roads of mantis and have written some articles on some of them.

I was asking if any of the other styles have similar "short forms".

Yes, 8 step, some 7*, taiji, Mimen and Meihua mantis all have overlap in these short exercises.

Here is one that you may know;

The Hooking Step of Mantis Boxing

One can be found here on 'one step three punches' This should look like yours, or at least very close to it.

Mandarin Duck Kick, or sometimes just called 'door closing kick' is trained as a short exercise in Mimen and Meihua. When I went to Visit Robert Hui some years ago, he surprised me by also having this exercise in his Tai Ji Mantis school. There is a close variation in 7* of this also. This article talks about the history of its founder Lin Chong as well as an application from Zhai Yao.

The Mandarin Duck Kick

Another one that you might know is the 'window frame punch'
    These pictures of 18 Elders doing it are clear to follow. This is one of the first exercises taught in Mei Hua Tang Lang.

There used to be some old footage of Wei Xiaotang performing at least 6 of these roads. Mike Martello (rest his soul) and I had worked together many years ago to make that information available for all.

At this time I don't know if that footage is still available on the internet or not.

Anyway, hope that gives you some clue about those old roads of Mantis.

BTW, Why the interest in this aspect?

Smile

Hi Kevin,

Indeed, that was such a great time.

BTW, I have posted our version of one step three punches on Youtube.

Enjoy
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Tainan,
    Thank you for you input! Your posts are always full of wonderful information and I enjoy them immensely.

I do know the Mandarin Duck Kick, the Hooking Step, and the Window Frame punch, just in different iterations.

As to my interest, the reasons are many, but for the most part, its pure curiosity. I'm a firm believer in knowledge is power, and I always like to get as much information on things as I can.
    Normally, I would talk to my Shifu, but I don't get to see him much any more, and he always said that information should come from multiple sources, not just one. He had the fortune of being passed around to many different Masters during his time with his Sifu, and he credits that for his breadth of knowledge and skill.

Also, this information allows me to see the connections between the styles.

After several years of being a poor student (both money wise and attendance wise) since the birth of my son (not an excuse, just a change in priorities), i'm finally able to get back into regular training, in the hopes of being able to open my own school in a couple of years. I'd like to be able to offer my students insight into praying mantis history and philosophies that relate to not just our lineage, but others as well, hopefully giving them a better understanding of their martial arts studies.

To All: I appreciate everyones patience with me and your readiness to help my studies by providing me with any knowledge you have and continue to choose to share.

May the thread continue! (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    BTW, I have posted our version of one step three punches on Youtube.
    That's identical to the first tan tui road taught in most long fist lines in Seoul.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Smile

Hi Master Killer,

I uploaded an old practice session of the first section of the 64 Shou Fa that contains 12 individual moves/lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJzI31z-4w

Hope you enjoy it.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    That is Wah Lum's 16 hands, which is a beginner short form, which were refered to as exercises.
    As an exercise in understanding applicaion there are a few moves in the beginning of 16 Hands that match up with moves near the end of First Form.
    If you know First Form see if you can find them.

I don't know if intentional or not but I've discovered sequences in some of the Wah Lum forms that can be matched to make a 2-man drill. I guess that's to be expected but it is fun finding them.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.