Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Go Arizona!

Considering 'Ethnic Studies' is an area where known frauds like Ward Churchill are considered experts and are allowed to 'teach', I'm all for doing away with them.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Considering 'Ethnic Studies' is an area where known frauds like Ward Churchill are considered experts and are allowed to 'teach', I'm all for doing away with them.
    Uh oh...you'd take away a freedom of choice?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Uh oh...you'd take away a freedom of choice?
    Notice you didn't see me calling for a law banning them in PRIVATE institutions. But if a public institution decides to de-fund classes that are ripe with fraud, I'm all for saving the taxpayers money. If you want to take Ethnic Studies, fine. You fund it, not the taxpayers.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Notice you didn't see me calling for a law banning them in PRIVATE institutions. But if a public institution decides to de-fund classes that are ripe with fraud, I'm all for saving the taxpayers money. If you want to take Ethnic Studies, fine. You fund it, not the taxpayers.
    So you think state institutions, which are financially just about the only way most kids can afford college, should limit their choices based off of YOUR idea of what an education should be?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

So you think state institutions, which are financially just about the only way most kids can afford college, should limit their choices based off of YOUR idea of what an education should be?
    Not at all. They made the choice, and I agree with their choice.

And we all know you're playing Devil's advocate here. No way are you defending a program that reveres Ward Churchill.

One more thing; San's link appears to be talking about public high schools, not colleges.

From the article:

"As ThinkProgress notes, the Tucson Unified School District's popular Mexican-American studies department is the target here. The state superintendent charges that the program exhibits "ethnic chauvinism."

Meanwhile, in a move that was more covert until the Wall Street Journal uncovered it, the Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes."

Tucson Unified School District sounds like a city's public school system, not a State University.

And the second paragraph mentions "teachers", not "professors".

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    Next why is the US allowing anything with a pulse over the border? all we are taking at the southern border is the refuse of these third world countries, they are not sending us the best educated, brightest achievers they are sending us the illiterate, uneducated, unhealthy, and unemployable. Hate saying it but in this instance we could learn something from Mexico and Canadas immigration laws.

Seems like if outright selfishness is the point (i.e. America for Americans) we should encourage the peasants to immigrate here and keep the high-paying top-notch gigs for the native born.

I've never understood that bit. I mean.. if you believe in strong borders ok.. if you believe in open borders.. ok.

But why create problems for middle-class young people by importing skilled educated competition for them?

The border is a mess.. but the border is a mess because of the War On Drugs and over a half century of American narco-enforcement imperialism.

The only reason there is a war on in Northern Mexico is because Americans aren't sensible.

You can either have
    1. Lots of dope imported
    2. Lots of dope produced domestically.
    3. There is no other option. You can't stop Americans from getting high.

This is part of why the world both loves and loathes us. America is a nation of children who don't want to acknowledge they cannot EAT the cake and HAVE the cake as well.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Not at all. They made the choice, and I agree with their choice.

And we all know you're playing Devil's advocate here. No way are you defending a program that reveres Ward Churchill.
    Reveres Ward Churchill? One college screwed up and hired a plagiaristic wifebeater. How does that warrant dissolving an entire field of study?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Reveres Ward Churchill? One college screwed up and hired a plagiaristic wifebeater. How does that warrant dissolving an entire field of study?
    He was considered an expert in that field. And not just at that one college either.

While Ethnic Studies may indeed be a legit field of study, when you have frauds running Dept Chairs in that field, it's being ran as a joke.

But if we got them out of our country, EVERY crime they commit wouldn't happen. One crime is too many.

Look, I'm not anti-immigration. Plenty of immigrants have came to this country, paid their taxes, and become productive citizens. I'm anti illegal immigration.
    You seem to have become somewhat radicalized though.

This poster seems much more reasonable...

Actually Becca is correct according to many economists. If American citizens did those jobs, they would demand more money to do them. And since the employers labor costs will have increased, the price of his product/services will increase.

Part of the reason the illegals will take the job for less money is the fact its tax-free. A citizen would be forced to pay taxes and thus would require higher wages. The employer would have to pay the higher wages and would pass the cost on to the consumer.
    The key word here is 'used'. So many Americans have an entitlement mentality. They feel they are owed a good, not hard job. While many successful people worked hard in their younger years to achive success, that spirit is sadly fading IMO.

The illegals are not taking jobs that Americans want. Really, how many Americans do you know who aspire to be janitors, laborers, dishwashers, etc?
    I do not condone illegal immigration. I personally feel the laws should be enforced.

I am pointing out the 'it is what it is' part. For so many years illegal immigration has really been pretty much accepted and thus the illegal immigrants play a large factor in the economy.

If you suddenly rigidly enfore something that has been condoned/accepted for decades it will cause alot of economic problems.
    You and I live in a different world then. It has been accepted by many people. Wrong or right, that is true. Even the politicians from BOTH major parties are terrified of the issue. No one wants to fix it, because they fear not only the impact on the economy, but they fear the 'R word' label too.

So is it being enforced or not? You are taking both sides. I say it is technically enforced, but that's like pulling over 1 or 2 cars a day on a road that has a 65mph speed limit full of hundreds of cars driving 120mph. Since the odds are so small of being caught, the law is not being enforced in near the capacity to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    You seem to have become somewhat radicalized though.

This poster seems much more reasonable...
    Things changed when illegals began kidnapping and killing American citizens in Arizona.

I still stand by those earlier posts. If we were to somehow throw every one of them out, prices of some good and services will go up. But protecting Americans from "all enemies foreign and domestic" is a Constitutional duty of Government.

And notice my message is not changing. You put up this old quote of mine: "I do not condone illegal immigration. I personally feel the laws should be enforced." Notice this is exactly my argument now.

Illegal immigrants in AZ were harmless. They were just trying to get jobs. The dangerous people were the drug runners and coyotes. I should know... I lived south of the checkpoints in AZ for a good four years of my career.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

And notice my message is not changing. You put up this old quote of mine: "I do not condone illegal immigration. I personally feel the laws should be enforced." Notice this is exactly my argument now.
    And notice, I didn't say your message changed.

Things changed when illegals began kidnapping and killing American citizens in Arizona.
    Evidence please.