View Poll Results: Could Wing Chun be improved

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Could improve by adding some boxing to their game.

6 28.57%
  • Wing Chun is fine all by itself

10 47.62%
  • Adding Boxing would weaken Wing Chun

2 9.52%
  • Most Wing Chun standup looks like some form of sloppy boxing.

0 0%
  • Be better off if they gave up wing chun altogether and learned boxing instead.

3 14.29%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Forum Poll:

Wing Chun Forum Poll:

For those of you who either post or lurk here, I have some questions concerning wing chun and boxing. Would like to know what you think about a few things. Not talking about wrestling/grappling in the clinch or on the ground at the moment. Just talking about standup striking/fighting skills.

Please vote for either A,B,C,D,E.

A) Wing Chun people could enhance their standup striking/fighting skills by adding some boxing to their game.

B) Wing Chun is fine all by itself, and therefore standup striking/fighting skills would not be improved by adding some boxing.

C) Not only is Wing Chun fine all by itself, but adding some boxing into the mix would actually weaken the overall standup striking/fighting skills.

D) Most actual Wing Chun standup striking/fighting already looks like some form of sloppy boxing, regardless of how it's labeled, and could probably improve with better boxing skills added to it.

E) Wing Chun people would probably be better off if they gave up wing chun altogether and learned boxing instead.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-28-2010 at 12:23 AM.

C.

there is only one answer to this question.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    For those of you who either post or lurk here, I have some questions concerning wing chun and boxing. Would like to know what you think about a few things. Not talking about wrestling/grappling in the clinch or on the ground at the moment. Just talking about standup striking/fighting skills.

Please vote for either A,B,C,D,E.

A) Wing Chun people could enhance their standup striking/fighting skills by adding some boxing to their game.

B) Wing Chun is fine all by itself, and therefore standup striking/fighting skills would not be improved by adding some boxing.

C) Not only is Wing Chun fine all by itself, but adding some boxing into the mix would actually weaken the overall standup striking/fighting skills.

D) Most actual Wing Chun standup striking/fighting already looks like some form of sloppy boxing, regardless of how it's labeled, and could probably improve with better boxing skills added to it.

E) Wing Chun people would probably be better off if they gave up wing chun altogether and learned boxing instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post
    C.

there is only one answer to this question.
    1. you get the right instructor and its B or even C, because you can probably really only ever master one art in a lifetime. however, 90% if not more, of the people teaching wing chun are not very good instructors. we all know this. on a side note i bought a wing chun for mma dvd by a guy called Dave Durch? pmsl!

2. because of point 1., the truth is often that point E is the most honest reflection.

3. there should be a point F. this should detail how people who have previously done boxing would do much better than most in wing chun based on their work ethic and love for sparring. this can only happen in a pure wing chun sense once the boxing 'habits'have been eradicated

B)

Only the individual can improve oneself using their Wing Chun understanding. IMHO if you HAVE to step outside of your art to explain/justify/correct anyhting then you have not spent enough time with your Sifu or with yourself.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post

On some level it isn't that boxing is necessarily the secret ingredient, but I think that people should have more than just one style under their belt. No one system or instructor will fully round out an individuals fighting.

I am not recommending a wholesale import of boxing into Wing Chun. A lot of good WC instructors probably already incooperate elements of boxing in their training. I also recognize that adding boxing can cause problems because certain elements of boxing are incompatible within a mma environment that Wing Chun should credibly operate in.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 04-28-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Depends what type of Wing Chun your doing for starters.

My opinion is that Kick boxing training enhances the wing chun practitioner to become more tough and gives him more weapons. Hitting from different angles helps.

However, its actually reversed. Wing Chun techniques helps boxers and kickboxers.

I see boxers use low bong saos all the time as well as bil sao and they dont even train wing chun.

TWC has footwork, but its hardly ever emphasised in training as much as boxers emphasise it, thats why in some fights, people find it hard to even do a pak sao to pin the arm and the fighter has already moved and fighting from another angle.

Practicing crosses and hooks will add more to your arsenal, so i choose (a), but really if the opportunity arises, finger jab to the eye.

i would choose A

doesnt have to nesscarily be boxing

karate, tkd , mt or anything of the sort will suffice as well

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Wing Chun Forum Poll:

Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

If you need to add boxing to Wing Chun, it's because you don't have a good applicable understanding of it.

Victor, what is your answer?

I see videos of you sparring, and then there's a poll up about boxing. This is starting to sound like JKD. LOL

I'm not trying to make fun - just trying to figure out where you're going with this.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Not sure if you need to ADD boxing as much as be exposed to it.
    But, there is no doubt that boxing is an effective form of fighting and I am sure there are a few things that ANY MA can take from boxing to make their game better.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote: 1. you get the right instructor and its B or even C, because you can probably really only ever master one art in a lifetime. however, 90% if not more, of the people teaching wing chun are not very good instructors. we all know this. on a side note i bought a wing chun for mma dvd by a guy called Dave Durch? pmsl!

2. because of point 1., the truth is often that point E is the most honest reflection.

3. there should be a point F. this should detail how people who have previously done boxing would do much better than most in wing chun based on their work ethic and love for sparring. this can only happen in a pure wing chun sense once the boxing 'habits'have been eradicated.

Very true.

Boxers have great work ethics while most Wing Chun people spend time on discussion boards.

Most boxers hit and get hit on a regular - so they have more practical experience. Most Wing Chun people theorize and discuss concepts all day long while sitting around eating Cheese Doodles. Or even worse - they train in their own comfort zones and not learn anything at all.

Go boxing!!!
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Blog Entries
    I would have to say both B and C, although I feel training with boxers/MMA fighters can definately improve one's fighting attributes such as sense of distance and timing which is necessary to be able to apply any techniques in a fight regardless of style. I don't feel the need to incoperate any techniques from boxing or MMA to improve my wing chun, in fact i think it can dilute or weaken the the origional technology of style especially if one doesn't have a complete understanding of wing chun to begin with and then start making changes.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 04-28-2010 at 06:25 AM.

How many of you have gone and spent any significant time at a decent boxing gym sparring with some good boxers? (NOT boxing your students or someone who has "boxed").

If you haven't done that, you don't know what you're talking about.

The other thing is that instead of being concerned with "WCK people", the question should be "what do YOU need to do?"

How many of you have gone and spent any significant time at a decent boxing gym sparring with some good boxers? (NOT boxing your students or someone who has "boxed").

If you haven't done that, you don't know what you're talking about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On this specific issue, I agree with the above snip..

joy chaudhuri

I stand here:

Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-28-2010 at 09:09 AM.