View Poll Results: Could Wing Chun be improved

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Could improve by adding some boxing to their game.

6 28.57%
  • Wing Chun is fine all by itself

10 47.62%
  • Adding Boxing would weaken Wing Chun

2 9.52%
  • Most Wing Chun standup looks like some form of sloppy boxing.

0 0%
  • Be better off if they gave up wing chun altogether and learned boxing instead.

3 14.29%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Forum Poll:

Now what does this tell you?

140 views of this thread - and only 6 votes.

Verrrry interesting....

There is only one answer.

D

Polls are often vague..

What does adding boxing mean?

Does it mean that you cross train boxing?

Does it mean you add in some boxing drills at the VT school?

Does it mean sparring in boxing terms?

What does all by itself mean? No cross training in anything?

In general I think the problems with VT lie more in how it's trained not what it's missing..(ie Boxing).. If you add Boxing and train that like most train VT then guess what you get? (D)
    Last edited by YungChun; 04-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I believe that boxing can be a boon to ANY fighting art. Not that I think its the end all...because using some boxing things like rolling the cross wouldn't be advisable say in a muay thai match (good way to get round kicked in the face).

But it can do no harm really unless you cannot differentiate from one styles general rules to another without overlap, e.g. punching without shoulders in wing chun versus using the shoulder in boxing.

I also agree with what was said before that it typically the reverse; that wing chun serves as a nice seasoning for other dishes. (er...wing chun serves as a good integration into other arts like boxing or some other style).
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

quote:
    e.g. punching without shoulders in wing chun versus using the shoulder in boxing.

Please explain this.

Thanks.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    140 views of this thread - and only 6 votes.

Verrrry interesting....
    I didn't even see the poll options at work, but now I am counted!

B) Wing Chun is fine all by itself, and therefore standup striking/fighting skills would not be improved by adding some boxing.

Jeez! Even a simple poll looks like it will be de-railed
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    quote:
    e.g. punching without shoulders in wing chun versus using the shoulder in boxing.

Please explain this.

Thanks.
    What do you not understand?

In short...you roll the shoulders forward (follow through) on your punches in boxing, and in wing chun you keep them relaxed and in line with the body i.e. you don't "follow through" with the shoulders in [most] wing chun.

Here's something from Jin if you want more illustration:

And for good measure...boxing punches with shoulder follow through:
    Even Bruce Lee's doing it!
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Hello,

Unfortunately there is a limit to how long the descriptions can be so I did the best I could given the circumstances and trying to stay true to Victors original points.

As for me, I believe that every art needs to grow and that traditional martial artists did engage in cross training based on their needs and most likely opponents.

However, having said that, the danger, to me, is that people try to add something without having the foundation on which to build and they end up with nothing more than a hodgepdoge.

I have Wing Chun as my main and foundation art, however I also trained Pekiti Tirsia and am currently also training American Kuntao Silat. While Boxing may be of benefit, it may not be what each person needs or what will fit into their personal system.

I personally feel that the hand techniques in Wing Chun are more than adequate for the system and that an understanding of boxing could be of benefit but that boxing does not need to be included to make Wing Chun effective.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not sure if you need to ADD boxing as much as be exposed to it.
    But, there is no doubt that boxing is an effective form of fighting and I am sure there are a few things that ANY MA can take from boxing to make their game better.

yep great post

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

now i voted that wing chun is fine all by itself. thats not to say however that i dont think ANY martial artist can improve their game by cross training, but just to say that you can learn JUST wing chun and still get along fine. but i believe this with any martial art.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Can't choose between A and B. There's nothing wrong with some good boxing mechanics to mix things up. And I agree exposure to work against a good boxer's footwork and combinations is a great way to test your WCK.

But do you NEED to add it? There are plenty of people who seem to do OK w/o boxing in the MMA world.

If you add boxing to WC, is it still WC? That's my problem with answering this.

Doing some boxing or kickboxing ain't going to hurt your overall game and will probably help.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

quote:
    If you add boxing to WC, is it still WC? That's my problem with answering this.

No, it becomes JKD.
    Last edited by mun hung; 04-28-2010 at 05:42 PM.

QUOTE Vankuen;

In short...you roll the shoulders forward (follow through) on your punches in boxing, and in wing chun you keep them relaxed and in line with the body i.e. you don't "follow through" with the shoulders in [most] wing chun.

Well, I understand what you mean now, and I gotta say that I don't punch anything like the Wing Chun guy in the vid. He is hammering downwards in his punching and his shoulder doesn't move. I think I have more in common with the boxer and Bruces' punching with the exception of the outward elbows.

I punch using the elbow to drive the punch towards the target. I also extend my shoulder in the same direction of the punch. I'd like to think that other people punch the same way I do.

Thanks for answering back.

- P

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    QUOTE Vankuen;

Well, I understand what you mean now, and I gotta say that I don't punch anything like the Wing Chun guy in the vid. He is hammering downwards in his punching and his shoulder doesn't move. I think I have more in common with the boxer and Bruces' punching with the exception of the outward elbows.

I punch using the elbow to drive the punch towards the target. I also extend my shoulder in the same direction of the punch. I'd like to think that other people punch the same way I do.

Thanks for answering back.

- P
    No worries man. I don't punch like China Boxer does either because of precisely what you said, and agree with the latter method as being more natural and effective. The shoulder is one of the links and shouldn't be confined...at the same time I understand the need to relax them so that your shoulders don't get overworked from the strain that wing chun puts on them.