Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Chun Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    Curious why people via MMA as a common enemy? I know there are a lot of MMA gyms and MMA people that are kind of meat-heads and not the type of people you might want to associate with much less spar, but there are some mma gyms out there that are very respectable and even offer some traditional martial arts at their gyms.

Curious why people on this forum don't view that as a common OPPORTUNITY (rather than a common enemy) to test your skills or see what from WC/VT/WT would be appropriate in a combat sports environment?

Just found that line kinda odd:
    What I have found is that most of the MMA meatheads tend to fans, not people who train. When it is people who train it is usually those that haven't trained very long and haven't done enough sparring/rolling to get over their ego. Once you have been doing it awhile you get over the winning/losing thing and start to think of it as training and both winning and losing are good if you learn something.

Also you get banged around enough training that you begin to realize how dangerous a real fight could be.

BTW, just because he wears a tapout shirt doesn't mean he trains.

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    . I would swear that WC was a cult following.
    yes sdkjfsdfhkh

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    You guys should try living here in Germany. The wing chun 'ego' is worse than I've ever seen it anywhere else - and the sad thing is it does nothing here but attract a bad name.

I started my training in the late 1970's - when things were a lot less widespread and most people thought their style was superior, and as someone else here has already said, it's not limited to WC - (kyokushin being an obvious one) - but it does feel like WC at times makes loftier claims than some other styles. I remember when one of William Cheungs people (or Rick Spain's people - not sure) opened his school in my hometown back in Oz - he advertised WC as "the style designed to defeat all other styles".

If that isn't asking for a visit I don't know what is. I know it was probably marketing, but honestly, what a bone-headed thing to put on your ads!

But yeah - Germany - whole 'nuther kettle of fish.
    There was even a clip on youtube? where some WC guys started a fight in a German WC School
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    What I have found is that most of the MMA meatheads tend to fans, not people who train. When it is people who train it is usually those that haven't trained very long and haven't done enough sparring/rolling to get over their ego. Once you have been doing it awhile you get over the winning/losing thing and start to think of it as training and both winning and losing are good if you learn something.
    Also you get banged around enough training that you begin to realize how dangerous a real fight could be.
    I agree, although there are still some gyms to be weary about. They'll toss any street fighter they can find in an octagon with 6 months of training. I largely disagree with that just so the gym can up its win/loss record, but it still is happening. Thankfully its happening less as the skill of even amateur fighters is getting a lot better.

But this is getting away from my point. Why is mma viewed by people on this forum as the "enemy" as opposed to an "opportunity"?

Money? WC isnt the trend it used to be?
    Reputation? WC used to be the art to learn to be a better fighter in a short period of time, but now MMA has that reputation.

BTW, just because he wears a tapout shirt doesn't mean he trains.
    Agreed 1000%

Curious why people via MMA as a common enemy? I know there are a lot of MMA gyms and MMA people that are kind of meat-heads and not the type of people you might want to associate with much less spar, but there are some mma gyms out there that are very respectable and even offer some traditional martial arts at their gyms.
    That was somewhat sarcastic, though arguably just looking at this forum you can see plenty of anti MMA antipathy. It's hard to keep advertising WC as the ultimate fighting method when it can't (in general and there are (a few) exceptions) hold its own in the MMA arena.

I personally train at an MMA gym with an excellent mat culture and fine competitive record. Meatheads are not encouraged to remain so. The student body is growing and the owner is opening a new branch right now. Not bad for the current economic climate.

I wouldn't use a Tapout T shirt to wash my car let alone wear, but hey, different strokes.

Why is mma viewed by people on this forum as the "enemy" as opposed to an "opportunity"?

Money? WC isnt the trend it used to be?
    Reputation? WC used to be the art to learn to be a better fighter in a short period of time, but now MMA has that reputation.
    My WC academy has successfully embraced that "opportunity". I think the reasons for the hate are all of those you mention. Some instructors feel they should be able to stop learning, rest on their laurels, and not need to remain a student for life, hungry to learn and adapt to a changing environment. Doesn't work in any other type of business.
    Last edited by anerlich; 05-04-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I remember when one of William Cheungs people (or Rick Spain's people - not sure) opened his school in my hometown back in Oz - he advertised WC as "the style designed to defeat all other styles".
    It might have been one of ours, and yeah, it is cringeworthy.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I think the reasons for the hate are all of those you mention. Some instructors feel they should be able to stop learning, rest on their laurels, and not need to remain a student for life, hungry to learn and adapt to a changing environment. Doesn't work in any other type of business.
    nail meet hammer....hammer meet nail. common sense blah blasphemy.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.