Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpened Fingernails

Sharpened Fingernails

Recently I've been cutting my nails to end in points. Seems like a good idea to me to add a little extra damage to strikes to the eyes and for a little extra leverage when grappling. (And also could be very good to get to pressure points)

If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge about this I'd be interested in hearing them. Any ideas how to get them to be as sharp as possible or to cause the nails to grow thicker?

I don't know if I could get them to the point where I could cut through surface veins anytime I grabbed someone but that would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenmantis View Post
    Recently I've been cutting my nails to end in points. Seems like a good idea to me to add a little extra damage to strikes to the eyes and for a little extra leverage when grappling. (And also could be very good to get to pressure points)

and you can play a mean flamenco too!

why not just save your time there killer and buya pair of these?

http://www.moviestore.nu/moviestorec.../shop/553s.jpg

oh and one more thing...

(facepalm)

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

just think of all the nasty infections you can give someone aswell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    just think of all the nasty infections you can give someone aswell!!!
    have to be careful putting them contacts in though

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    have to be careful putting them contacts in though
    not if you don't wear any... now... if your not careful while wiping your butt...

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenmantis View Post

If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge about this I'd be interested in hearing them. Any ideas how to get them to be as sharp as possible or to cause the nails to grow thicker?

I don't know if I could get them to the point where I could cut through surface veins anytime I grabbed someone but that would be ideal.
    i know of one master i trained with that claimed they did this when younger....and used them to cut eins on the wrist etc.....not sure if i believe it to be honest how strong are the nails (and can you imagine getting one ripped out if it gets caught on something?!)

Its much easier and safer to carry your keys and put them in your fist should you need to really cut someone or tear their flesh in a fight

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    not if you don't wear any... now... if your not careful while wiping your butt...

lololol!!!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it's not neccesary. One of my female students was a massage therapist-nails trimmed very short-for obvious reasons. She was working a rear neck grab(mastoid) takedown with a male student and due to the sweat, her hand ripped across the back of his neck. She pulled out a ribbon of flesh from under her nail.

The truth is, if you want a good Tiger Claw-it's not the nails, it's the fingers that will rip and rend flesh and muscle, grab tendons,etc. train your hands and grip.

This is real Gung-Fu. There are no shortcuts.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    another thing-if you ever grab clothing, and the guy resists, you can rip your nails out or back which is extremely painful-to YOU.
    Obviously you have never trained shuai-jiao, judo, etc. you cannot have long nails and expect to do any grappling or grabbing of clothes.

(you also obviously don;'t have a gf, cause the tantric dim-mak would be out of the question)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

typically, people who have fought know a few things:

1. keep your hair short

2. keep your nails short

3. keep your shirt tucked in

all of these things have a direct impact on your chances of success in a scuffle.

ask me why!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i know of one master i trained with that claimed they did this when younger....and used them to cut eins on the wrist etc.....not sure if i believe it to be honest how strong are the nails (and can you imagine getting one ripped out if it gets caught on something?!)

Its much easier and safer to carry your keys and put them in your fist should you need to really cut someone or tear their flesh in a fight
    keys can damage your hand a lot more than they will go through someone's jacket and harm them. better to have one key and to hold it against the thumb as if to press with it.

a bunch of keys between your fingers is a hollywood mistake. It's like holding a semi auto sideways which will invariably drop a few hot cases down the front of yoru bad ass gang shirt. lol

anyway, it's a good rule of thumb to NOT follow with any hollywood advice or anything you see on TV. It's almost always wrong and will hurt you as much as you are trying to hurt someone else.

kiss.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    There are no shortcuts.
    iron ball juggling seems to kill most of the competition in terms of developing a good tiger claw... and you can't have long nails to juggle them either because they tend to get broken... LOL

As mentioned by others, long nails are no advantage in a fight, or even in training. Once my right thumb nail got torn right off during training, and as you can imagine, it wasn't fun. And my nails weren't long, either. It took a long time to grow back. Nowadays I work as a massage therapist, so I have to keep them especially short.

I could also imagine that long nails will interfere with your ability to make a proper fist for punching, too.

I agree that long nails are a problem for fights. Mine however are fairly short, just pointed instead of rounded on the tips.

I got this idea from a friend of mine who works in law enforcement and grapples and grabs people's clothing regularly, with out problems. I have to wonder if the trouble with grabbing clothing was done by someone with long supermodel nails or happened in fights that you imagined.

I'd like to point out that I'm not looking for a shortcut. I know there is no subsitute for diet, training and real life experaince. I also know that there will come a time when I'm looking for any advantage however small. And finding it or failing to can make a big difference in what happens next.

some people are just genetically pre-dispositioned with certain traits, one of which could be having stronger fingernails than the average person... i knew a guy in hungaria who ran black oil from russia and he was reknown for being able to bite beer bottle caps off with his front teeth.