Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Chu's Master Class DVD

Robert Chu's Master Class DVD

I thought that we could have a good discussion on this DVD and its contents given that alot of us here have access to it.

So first things first....

I wanted to discuss the idea that he brought up about nipples. Some people have innie's and other's have outie's. Some are closer together and some are wider. I personally thought he could have gone into more detail on this by describing the length of certain nipples and how those can be used in chin na applications albeit through a wing chun lens.

BTW...did you see Raffi's smile when Robert started talking about that?! My fiancee was laughing her ass off!!!

(P.S. this is just something I thought was funny in the video...but in all seriousness there's great information in it--some old some new, all great!)
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 05-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

SJ, that is just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    SJ, that is just crazy.
    Don't hate bro, some guys get all the breaks !
    LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Are there any previews of his DVD on the net? I would like to get a sense for what they contain.

Maybe some people who know Robert should ask him to post a sample or two?

No previews that I know of...

but if you'd like a personal review, I'd say it's worth getting. Most of the information is a variant of things that you probably know well already (if you're at the level of teaching others or have gotten through the entire curriculum).

A lot of it is simply reminding you of fundamentals and correcting many of the long ingrained misconceptions in application. It may not all be "new" -- but its definitely something I'm glad I have in my newly formed "library". His DVD is one of two sets that I have!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    No previews....

A lot of it is simply fundamentals...then application of those fundamentals. It may not all be "new" -- but its definitely something I'm glad I have in my newly formed "library". His DVD is one of two sets that I have!
    That's the stuff that I like the most. I have found that hearing a fresh explanation can make all the difference. My stuff is probably 180 from Robert's stuff. It's all WC, but they go about their business a bit differently.

Well when I took a look at alan's series, he took wing chun and worked it out in a way that would indisputably prove it's worth. I liked that because it went well with my ideologies of wing chun in combat and gave new light into how I could apply my wing chun.

Given that Robert was the source I decided that it would be good to also get a hold of his series, so far I like what I see. Sure there's things that I disagree with in terms of workable application but that's what makes wing chun great--it's format allows for those differences

Since I am under contract, I cannot put any samples up on anywhere but my own website and it must be less than 1 minute 50 seconds.

Since I don't have the right equipment for that, I will defer to my students to do so...

But $69 isn't a lot to cough up for 3 DVD's and priceless info.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Well when I took a look at alan's series, he took wing chun and worked it out in a way that would indisputably prove it's worth. I liked that because it went well with my ideologies of wing chun in combat and gave new light into how I could apply my wing chun.

Given that Robert was the source I decided that it would be good to also get a hold of his series, so far I like what I see. Sure there's things that I disagree with in terms of workable application but that's what makes wing chun great--it's format allows for those differences

So what is the teaching of Robert you like the best in the DVD?

Ok To ask What is your WCK lineage ?

Are there any previews of his DVD on the net? I would like to get a sense for what they contain.

Maybe some people who know Robert should ask him to post a sample or two?

Order the DVD, its value is superb. and may be you could also see why is WCK has no block but handling of dynamic flow. For me, Robert has done an excellent job getting the core of WCK across.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Since I am under contract, I cannot put any samples up on anywhere but my own website and it must be less than 1 minute 50 seconds.

Since I don't have the right equipment for that, I will defer to my students to do so...

But $69 isn't a lot to cough up for 3 DVD's and priceless info.

Robert,

I rather get a full set of DVD then watching the 1 minute which is not that fun at all to not see the full story; learn from you, when you presenting the art from your heart.

Thanks again for your sharing from your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Order the DVD, its value is superb. and may be you could also see why is WCK has no block but handling of dynamic flow. For me, Robert has done an excellent job getting the core of WCK across.
    I don't disagree with that. That is the heart of what WC is. I was just saying that blocking needs to be a part of it to account for people's in ability to always do the correct thing. If I were watching a video on WC, I would not want to see a video on hard blocks. It would not be distinctively WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    So what is the teaching of Robert you like the best in the DVD?

Ok To ask What is your WCK lineage ?
    I like the emphasis he gives to the structure and how to use it as the generator for everything.

There was a glitch in the third disc where music was playing during his teaching--a sound editing error. Did you have the same in yours?

I don't disagree with that.

That is the heart of what WC is.

I was just saying that blocking needs to be a part of it to account for people's in ability to always do the correct thing.

If I were watching a video on WC, I would not want to see a video on hard blocks. It would not be distinctively WC.

Robert and me are brother, I know him very well, the WCK he teaches is what he practice and what he will do even if he was attacked while he is sleeping. There is no show business in that DVD but what Robert hold close to his own heart. That make the DVD precious.

WCK is WCK.
    what you say about blocking is your opinion which I accept.
    I accepted that similar to accepting any one can give his opinion here in this WCK forum about why he think Blocking is needed for WCK.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-03-2010 at 09:08 PM.