Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Chu's Master Class DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I like the emphasis he gives to the structure and how to use it as the generator for everything.

There was a glitch in the third disc where music was playing during his teaching--a sound editing error. Did you have the same in yours?

You love the structure stuff. You should visit him and learn those first hand so it becomes a second nature for you.

I took slow sip on the DVD tasting every details.
    I have not at the third disc yet. Will tell you when I am there.

What do you think about block in WCK after you watch the DVD?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-03-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    You love the structure stuff. You should visit him and learn those first hand so it becomes a second nature for you.

I took slow sip on the DVD tasting every details.
    I have not at the third disc yet. Will tell you when I am there.

What do you think about block in WCK after you watch the DVD?
    Well you don't need to work with him first hand to develop the structure...because all wing chun should have that structure. That's something that should have always been there to begin with.

Blocking? I don't think anything different than I did before watching the dvd.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I have gone through vol 1 and 2, will try to see 3 today.
    So far so good, nothing new per say , nor did I expect there to be, but well done and informative.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have gone through vol 1 and 2, will try to see 3 today.
    So far so good, nothing new per say , nor did I expect there to be, but well done and informative.
    ***THERE IS nothing new in the "full body structure" that Robert Chu and Alan Orr always talk about. It's been a part of wing chun for the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    ***THERE IS nothing new in the "full body structure" that Robert Chu and Alan Orr always talk about. It's been a part of wing chun for the longest.
    What's new is that they understand how to make it work consistently.

What's new is the way they train it.

What's new is that from the two above things, additional things evolve into it, making it an essentially new entity.

Did I miss something?

Please show me, Dale, on what part of any youtube vid containing the mma matches that Alan's guys engage in where there is something new going on - in terms of body structure or anything else.

Please show me, Dale, on what part of any youtube vid containing the mma matches that Alan's guys engage in where there is something new going on - in terms of body structure or anything else.
    Pretty much everything where the WC people are saying "That's not WC."

Ha! Ha! Ha!

"You're a regular riot, Alice"...

(Jackie Gleason would have hired you, Dale).

I knew he was going to say that..

Whats new about that VT is that it's Boxing and Wrestling.. Something Dale highly approves of..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    I knew he was going to say that..

Whats new about that VT is that it's Boxing and Wrestling.. Something Dale highly approves of..
    What's new is that they have interweaved it with boxing, wrestling, clinch fighting, takedowns and groundfighting.

What's new is that they have thrown out the stuff that doesn't work.

BTW, you never answered my question: Is wrestling a bridging art?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    What's new is that they have interweaved it with boxing, wrestling, clinch fighting, takedowns and groundfighting.

What's new is that they have thrown out the stuff that doesn't work.
    There is nothing new about the VT.. Adding MT to Boxing doesn't make the Boxing new..

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    BTW, you never answered my question: Is wrestling a bridging art?
    Oh did you want to play more with this?

In the sense of what SCMA do, that's (Southern Chinese Martial Arts), no IMO, but in the sense of connection, then yes..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

And what's going to be new...

is the stuff we've yet to see in wing chun mma fighting that WILL WORK in an mma setting.

So once again, kudos to Alan and his guys for that they'vre been able to do so far, but I strongly believe that there's more to come from the wing chun world within mma fighting. What Alan's guys are doing is A version of wing chun - and Dale rightly says that it's mixed with boxing, wrestling, and MT style clinch fighting (and you can throw in BJJ too)...

but I believe that as time goes on we'll see wing chun guys also using pak, lop, bong, garn, bil, etc. And punching patterns that closely resemble the vertical fist, elbows-held-down-and-in-close-to-the-sides-of-the-body that characterizes wing chun.

As well as the more elevated elbows with a 3/4 horizontal fist type of punching attack occasionally used by Vitor Belfort in the past. Clearly a wing chun-influenced piece of fighting. There are moments in mma (or anywhere else) wherein this could be effective also.

And some simultaneous (or near simultaneous beat-and-one-half) attack and defense as well.

You're going to see these things, as time goes on.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-06-2010 at 10:48 AM.

is the stuff we've yet to see in wing chun mma fighting that WILL WORK in an mma setting.

So once again, kudos to Alan and his guys for that they'vre been able to do so far, but I strongly believe that there's more to come from the wing chun world within mma fighting. What Alan's guys are doing is A version of wing chun - and Dale rightly says that it's mixed with boxing, wrestling, and MT style clinch fighting (and you can throw in BJJ too)...

but I believe that as time goes on we'll see wing chun guys also using pak, lop, bong, garn, etc. And punching patterns that closely resemble the vertical fist, elbows-held-down-and-in-close-to-the-sides-of-the-body that characterizes wing chun.

As well as the more elevated elbows with a 3/4 vertical fist type of punching attack occasionally used by Vitor Belfort in the past. Clearly a wing chun-influenced piece of fighting. There are moments in mma (or anywehere) that could be effective also.

And some simultaneous (or near simultaneous beat-and-one-half) attack and defense as well.

I agree mostly with this..

IMO VT is about efficiency and economy and everyone sooner or later gets more efficient and wants to move in that direction.. If VT is worth anything we'll see more and more of what is and will look like VT.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

but I believe that as time goes on we'll see wing chun guys also using pak, lop, bong, garn, etc. And punching patterns that closely resemble the vertical fist, elbows-held-down-and-in-close-to-the-sides-of-the-body that characterizes wing chun.

As well as the more elevated elbows with a 3/4 vertical fist type of punching attack occasionally used by Vitor Belfort in the past. Clearly a wing chun-influenced piece of fighting. There are moments in mma (or anywhere else) wherein this could be effective also.

Maybe, but you sure won't see all those double hand strikes and backfists you see on the Mook Jong.

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    I agree mostly with this..

IMO VT is about efficiency and economy and everyone sooner or later gets more efficient and wants to move in that direction.. If VT is worth anything we'll see more and more of what is and will look like VT.
    Boxing and Muay Thai type striking are many times more efficient and economical.

And that's why you see the WC guys who are fighting full contact actually moving away from traditional WC techniques and more towards boxing and Muay Thai.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 05-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.