Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Robert Chu's Master Class DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I already said he (and his students) is using his WC to fight. Weren't you one of the people who said he wasn't?
    What I said was that clinching, and a guillotine is not VT.....not part of a "hidden movement" (as suggested) in BiuJee, etc, no that's not VT..

The VT aspects, (striking/standup) in that environment seem very fleeting in most cases, esp when folks want to clinch.
    Last edited by YungChun; 05-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    What I said was that clinching, and a guillotine is not VT.....not part of a "hidden movement" (as suggested) in BiuJee, etc, no that's not VT..

The VT aspects, (striking/standup) in that environment seem very fleeting in most cases, esp when folks want to clinch.
    ***WHICH is probably why Niehoff has decided that wing chun "is attached fighting".

Not saying that good clinch work is unnecessary or bad policy (I believe in mma concepts of standup/clinch/ground)...

but to make the claim that just coming in for strikes or for a clinch is the only way to make wing chun work in an mma setting is bull.

There's a lot more to wing chun that can be used than just punching while pressuring forward for a clinch.

And Niehoff doesn't get this because he doesn't know anything else about wing chun that can work in an nhb mma setting.

As I've said several times now: What Alan and his guys are doing is A version of wing chun. Fine. Not a problem. And so far it seems to be working for them.

But it's not the only version that can be effective.

I wish I was a cartoonist..

I just got a visual of T applying his attachment of a VT single necktie on some giant MMA guy..

The behemoth shakes like a wet dog and flings T around like a rag doll (barely hanging on for dear life) as T delivers repeated ineffective blows to the giant.. Finally irritated the behemoth flicks him off and T goes flying across the room...........yelling "See I had him going there for a minute..!" LOL
    Last edited by YungChun; 05-07-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Ya know fellas, as a side note and all, this thread WAS supposed to be about Robert's DVD and each person's views on it.

You know...for those that bought and have watched it?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

It's amazing how just about everything (and now, everyone) connected to Terence Niehoff winds up in some form of "hijack" situation, isn't it?

You have ANY idea how many threads about topic A through the years have been hijacked by Niehoff and turned into topic B,C, or D ???

I'm guessing...not dozens, but hundreds.

Okay, Van...out of respect for you, since you've always come off as a good guy...I for one will take this conversation elsewhere.

Eh...I was just making a joke after realizing how far off things went. We have three different threads all basically debating the same ol crap.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Welcome back to the forum, Van...

This last month or so has been fun, huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Are you kidding? Kids who want fight MMA are a dime a dozen these days.
    have to agree at the clubs i train they come in all the time, its got to the stage the coaches have to turn guys away not enough mat room

Well if it's good at "keeping them off you" as in Rashun and you.. You have to add in the actual impact of the strikes.. See how that works?

VT doesn't run away. The main idea of VT is to project energy into the opponent, intended to do damage and take his base away in order to stall his attempt to go offensive..

I think we are seeing more, not less VT in MMA and other venues.. Give it time and we will see what happens.. No need to guess.
    give it time mma has been around in the states for close to 20years how much longer does VT need? come to think of it sanshou and full contact events in taiwan have been around even longer where were all the wing chun fighters in those events?

Right I've never trained.. I just read books...and watch action movies..

The mechanics are the mechanics, regardless of style, power is measured by striking something... The ability to fight and deliver power is not the same thing as the ability of a mechanic and person to simply make that power..

Not everyone can generate great power with or without a partner regardless of style...
    not really for a style to be useful its method of generating power must be able to stand up under pressure from another fighter...otherwise it is to all intents and purposes useless

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post

And Niehoff doesn't get this because he doesn't know anything else about wing chun that can work in an nhb mma setting.

As I've said several times now: What Alan and his guys are doing is A version of wing chun. Fine. Not a problem. And so far it seems to be working for them.

But it's not the only version that can be effective.
    Tell me, Victor, what MMA gym do you train at or have you ever trained at? That's right -- none. NONE. So tell us all about your theories of WCK and MMA -- because that is all you have, theories.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you lightly spar with your scrub students, guys you've trained (which explains why they are scrubs) -- folks you train in catch (that you "learn" via video) and boxing (something you've never trained in). Yet, you know.

You have not trained MMA, you have not really trained grappling, you have not trained boxing, and your WCK is beginner-level stuff that you can't make work in sparring, yet you know.

Good for you.