Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Proof that WC works vs. a real boxer

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    A large area isn't an unlimited boundary. I set the parameters in my previous posts to a gymnasium.
    Fair enough.

The other part is staying close to your opponent. When you spar outside or in a gymnasium it is more difficult if you are facing faster opponent. They will just continue to separate and run around you. I will post some videos later.
    Looking forward to seeing those clips of you cutting people off in a gymnasium.

BTW, you never answered my question:

Thanks uncle B.S. Obviously, they apply to both Dale, that is my whole point, but the way that Kung fu fighters are trained they don't always realize it. One is for empty hand and one is for weapons.
    Speaking of b.s. Do they apply to both or is one for empty and one for weapons? Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    For Victor and the group..

Just an interesting clip (I thought) where the smaller guy is the aggressor..full contact bare knuckle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36rlR...eature=related
    over 30 min !
    **** !!
    The little guys had many chances to finish it early, he never followed up, makes you wonder...
    He moved well, though he moved back a little too much for my taste, and he loaded up well with his left.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Fair enough.

Looking forward to seeing those clips of you cutting people off in a gymnasium.

BTW, you never answered my question:

Speaking of b.s. Do they apply to both or is one for empty and one for weapons? Which is it?
    A lot of times kung fu people are trained to do a certain set of footwork with empty hand and a certain set with weapons. They don't realize sometimes that hey way that they move using weapons usually has application with empty hand fighting. So... I would say that I you use, "weapons footwork," in regular hand to hand. Meaning that I am much more willing to hit angles and use lunging techniques in hand to hand. It's not that anyone is saying, "This is weapons footwork, and that is hand to hand footwork." It's just that the curriculum doesn't always make it as evident in some systems that that type of dichotomy doesn't exist.

I liked this clip of fighterman a little better than the first (well second) clip vic posted.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSvZ...eature=related

At least this boxer had some head movement...
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    For Victor and the group..

Just an interesting clip (I thought) where the smaller guy is the aggressor..full contact bare knuckle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36rlR...eature=related
    ***I SWEAR to you, Jim/YungChun...

this fight reminds me of an encounter I once had waaaaaay back in the day on a Brooklyn street corner - and with an Irish guy from the neighborhood named Ray Wilson!!!

We couldn't have been more than about 14 years old at the time. I'm a natural lefty and was fighting southpaw, Ray was fighting orthodox, and I was the smaller guy (pretty much the same size differential as the two guys in the vid).

And it never really went to clinch or ground - just like in the vid....and with no real winner. After about 6-7 minutes some older man walked by and broke us up.

We both landed a few rear hand shots to the other guy's face and body as I remember it.

So strange to watch that vid...
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-05-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    sorry but i don't see the point big or small area the tactic and end result is the same: walk him down cut the angle get him between you and something hard and unmoving and then keep him there.

I can't see how shuffling or faster different footwork can make a difference, i thought the whole idea of walking someone down was to take away his ability to move around you, hence side to dise forward movement, wouldn't darting in or moving forward in a straight lne allow him to move around you?

As for staying close well i thought the whole reason you were walking him down was because he kept moving away and you couldn't stay close to him, if you are that close do you need to walk him down?
    It's like being a defender in basketball. The defender corrals the movement of the offensive player, but that only happens if a defender has a credible chance of stealing the ball. With cutting off a large area, if the credible threat of a strike is not present, the butterfly continues to move around. You have to do everything you can to stop him from created too much separation.

You may see some unothadox fighter do some of this but...
    Boxing doesn't have:

Crossover steps: hidden steps, "steal a step", "front" crossover steps

Spinning: pivoting, step & spin, china circle, spinning from a crossover

Sidling step

Inverted step

Hopping

Lunging steps: front and reverse (not quite like boxing).

Rolling - a form of locomotion but not necessarily a "step" exactly
    Not to mention boxing lacks all the myriad of stances that are transitory positions in kung fu that I would not call "steps" but function as such.

Bow stance,
    Mountain climber stance
    Horse Stance
    Far too convoluted to be of any real use IMO. I love gung fu, but I love to shed the crap that doesn't work too. Stand shoulder width apart, simple shuffle steps are the most effective. Call it a day.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Far too convoluted to be of any real use IMO. I love gung fu, but I love to shed the crap that doesn't work too. Stand shoulder width apart, simple shuffle steps are the most effective. Call it a day.
    I understand where you are coming from. I felt the same way about a some of this of this because of how it was presented to me. The reality is that it is all is just solid fundamental fighting. Shuffles are basic and important. However, you should not limit yourself to those movements.

Look at my comments on the Weng Chun Thread. She has decent boxing bolos that are viewed as kung fu crap because she is wearing a kung fu uniform. If she had on boxing shorts, it would be, "Look at the tremendous bolos." Get my point? I used to think that a lot of that was crap until I saw strong professional fighters apply these moves.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 05-06-2010 at 03:13 AM.

One thing that I think happens a lot in Kung fu is people learn a lot of slightly off versions of how a technique should be performed because of the theoretical non-fighters (to use a Dale term) who dominate the TCMA landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    ***I SWEAR to you, Jim/YungChun...

We both landed a few rear hand shots to the other guy's face and body as I remember it.

So strange to watch that vid...
    Glad you liked it... I am also a lefty but I have always fought orthodox..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

the theoretical non-fighters (to use a Dale term)
    I think "theoretical non-fighters" is actually a Terence term. He definitely has a claim to it from frequency of (over)use even if not the originator.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Look at my comments on the Weng Chun Thread. She has decent boxing bolos that are viewed as kung fu crap because she is wearing a kung fu uniform. If she had on boxing shorts, it would be, "[B]Look at the tremendous bolos[/B]." Get my point? I used to think that a lot of that was crap until I saw strong professional fighters apply these moves.
    When you say look at those tremendous bolos...I'm probably visualizing something completely different than you.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."