Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Proof that WC works vs. a real boxer

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    What? Sorry but that just sounds plain wrong.
    Think weapon's footwork. If you don't agree, then I suggest that yo try adapting what you do with weapons to your empty hand fighting. It will allow you to cover greater distances with less effort than you would just shuffling. If you have good "weapon's" footwork, you are used to essentially, "walking" and striking with power. It allows you to cover much, much more ground to corral an opponent. It is something that just isn't practiced in boxing, not to say that a boxer could not do such a thing. Being a good perimeter defender in basketball has similar footwork as well.

My system of WC is very footwork oriented. Maybe you have a different experience?
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 05-05-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Think weapons footwork. If you don't agree, then I suggest that yo try adapting what you do with weapons to your empty hand fighting. It will allow you to cover greater distances with less effort than you would just shuffling.

My system of WC is very footwork oriented. Maybe you have a different experience?
    Could you explain a little further? My weapons training was bayonet and knife in the Marine Corps and the footwork was very much based on boxing footwork.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    very simply put,"A circle beats a traight line and a straight line beats a circle."
    cutting off the ring doesn't require much else.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Just remember the old boxing adage:
    It's really hard to cut off the ring when someone is punching you in the face.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nonsense! Once they start slipping and sliding in my blood, their footwork is useless against me!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nonsense! Once they start slipping and sliding in my blood, their footwork is useless against me!
    Ah, the old "use my blood to wear them down" routine !
    Excellent !

The other part is staying close to your opponent. When you spar outside or in a gymnasium it is more difficult if you are facing faster opponent. They will just continue to separate and run around you. I will post some videos later.

Unless someone is a true "butterfly" they typically get worn down trying to be one. Also, an advantage of kung fu training is that we have more footwork at our disposal to catch people. Boxing just has footwork for the ring. Our footwork can allow us to cut off a gymnasium if need be.
    sorry but this is wrong, cutting the distance in the ring, cage or street amounts to the same thing.

To do it effectivally you need something behind the opponent so he can't move backwards, otherwise you can't walk him down doesn't matter if you shuffle, jump or dart forward he can still get away. the whole idea is to walk him down to corner him between you and a sloid immovable object, be it the cage, ropes or a wall

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Just remember the old boxing adage:
    It's really hard to cut off the ring when someone is punching you in the face.
    thats where the other old boxing adage comes in...keep your f*cking hands up and your chin down!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    sorry but this is wrong, cutting the distance in the ring, cage or street amounts to the same thing.

To do it effectivally you need something behind the opponent so he can't move backwards, otherwise you can't walk him down doesn't matter if you shuffle, jump or dart forward he can still get away. the whole idea is to walk him down to corner him between you and a sloid immovable object, be it the cage, ropes or a wall
    I never said that it didn't amount to the same thing in principle. Its just that boxers don't typically employ as many footwork options as kung fu practitioners. When you are cutting off an opponent staying close is much more important in a large area. In a ring, they can only go so far.

thats where the other old boxing adage comes in...keep your f*cking hands up and your chin down!
    And then the other one:
    Everyone has a plan, until they get hit.

Also, move your f*cking head, were you born stupid!

I never said that it didn't amount to the same thing in principle. Its just that boxers don't typically employ as many footwork options as kung fu practitioners. When you are cutting off an opponent staying close is much more important in a large area. In a ring, they can only go so far.
    sorry but i don't see the point big or small area the tactic and end result is the same: walk him down cut the angle get him between you and something hard and unmoving and then keep him there.

I can't see how shuffling or faster different footwork can make a difference, i thought the whole idea of walking someone down was to take away his ability to move around you, hence side to dise forward movement, wouldn't darting in or moving forward in a straight lne allow him to move around you?

As for staying close well i thought the whole reason you were walking him down was because he kept moving away and you couldn't stay close to him, if you are that close do you need to walk him down?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And then the other one:
    Everyone has a plan, until they get hit.
    lol so true

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Also, move your f*cking head, were you born stupid!
    did you have the same coach as me