Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FOB monks

Another So Cal master

There's a vid if you follow the link.
    The Ancient Art of Shaolin Kung Fu Found in LA
    By The Hollywood Sentinel
    Shaolin Kungfu is an ancient art form originating over 1500 years ago in the Shaolin Temple located in the Songshan Mountains of Dengfeng, Henan, China. There are different theories as to how the Shaolin Kungfu technique came about; some say that Bodhidarma, a Buddhist monk from India, began teaching the monks movements to improve their health and fitness and that these movements gradually evolved into what is now known as Shaolin Kungfu.

The Feats of Shaolin Kungfu
    Others say that monks from all of China brought varying fighting techniques to the temple, which were used to defend the temple against hostile invaders. Shaolin Kungfu is a powerful and extraordinary art, and some of its most skilled practitioners can perform astounding feats, like Iron Body, in which a Master can be struck with sticks and metal bars, lay down on spikes, hang by the neck, and be pierced with spears with no injurious consequence- this was practiced as the ultimate form of self-defense; do a pushup or handstand with only two fingers; throw a needle through a pane of glass to pop a balloon on the other side, and many other amazing feats.

Shaolin Kungfu and Buddhism
    Shaolin Kungfu refers to the traditional cultural system that has formed in the particular Buddhist cultural environment in Shaolin Temple of Songshan Mountain over long history. It is based on a belief in the metaphysical power of Buddhism and fully reflects the wisdom of Chan Buddhism. The martial arts practiced by monks in the Shaolin Temple are its major form of expression. Shaolin Kungfu encompasses a complete technical and theoretical system, with martial arts and its' specific techniques as its major form of expression, and Buddhism belief and Chan wisdom as the bridge between body, mind, and spirit.

Shaolin Kungfu and the Quan Styles
    Shaolin Kungfu is a huge and well-developed technical system as opposed to the many "schools" or "Quan styles" of other martial arts. Chinese martial arts are complicated in structure and abundant in school. According to historical records, Shaolin Kungfu is the one school among a myriad of Chinese martial arts schools, which boasts a long history, a complete system and the highest level of skills. Those Quan guidebooks handed down over many generations in Shaolin Temple show that there are as many as several hundred series of Shaolin Kungfu skills of which several dozen are widely known and practiced. There are 72 unique sets of skills and all kinds of special bodies of Kungfu techniques such as Qi Gong, grappling, wrestling, disjointing, attacking a vital point of the body, and more. This wide body of skills and knowledge constitute a huge and orderly technical system organized according to special categories and levels of difficulty.

Yin and Yang
    Shaolin Kungfu is presented with the movement of the human body such as attack, defense and wrestling as its core and the series as its basic units. Series are made up of a group of movements. The design and arrangements of these movements are based on the medical knowledge of ancient China and conforms to the rule of movement of the human body. Movements and series put special emphasis on the combination of movement and stillness, the balance between Yin and Yang, the complement of toughness and softness, and the inclusion of the spirit and the form.

Six Harmonies
    The most well-known principle is 'Six Harmonies', composed of the three external harmonies (shoulders and hip, elbows and knees, hands and feet) and the three external harmonies (mind and intention, intention and Qi, Qi and force). The ancient Chinese belief in 'the unity of human and nature' suggests that only those movements that fit the natural structure of the human body can be called proper. Shaolin Kungfu has long been tested by history, during which it has kept its Chan Buddhist essence while weeding out from itself what was undesirable while continually undergoing change and self-reformation. As a result, Shaolin Kungfu gives full play to the potential of the human body and has achieved an optimal form of movement for the human body which allows room for its practitioners to develop and thrive.

New Shaolin School for Westerners to Train in the United States
    Until recently, many American's had to be very wealthy to travel to China in order to hope to be accepted by the temple and train with the true peaceful warriors of the ancient temple. Today, One only needs to travel as far as to sunny California, in downtown Los Angeles in Chinatown, to get some of the real experience of training in authentic Shaolin Kungfu. With the founding of Jin Wu Kung Fu, headed by Master XJ, who trained in the Shaolin Temple, starting that elite opportunity is now just a phone call away.

Granted, one may not have the desire to devote the years of discipline needed to master all of the skills described above, but one can still benefit greatly from the true inner and outer power of training even part time in the true form of the art that so many Westerners have come to appreciate and love.

The office of The Hollywood Sentinel, Jin Wu Kung Fu, and affiliates do not endorse any advertising that may appear on or in connection with this story.

For bookings of Jin Wu Kung Fu or Master X.J., contact Starpower Management at 310-226-7176.

Bruce Edwin is editor of The Hollywood Sentinel and President of Starpower Management, the celebrity model and talent firm. Contact Bruce at TheHollywoodSentinel.com. f
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In the OC

Kung fu master leaves ancient Chinese temple for Costa Mesa
    Shi Yanqing is the only Shaolin master in Orange County.

Master Shi Yanqing lived and trained in China's ancient Shaolin Temple for 17 years moving to Orange County last year and opening a Costa Mesa kung fu studio in September. He is a master at the the bare-hand and sword-wielding forms of the ancient Shaolin drunken combat style.
    COURTESY OF SHI YANQING

By JORDAN GRAHAM / STAFF WRITER
    Published: Dec. 4, 2014 Updated: 4:23 p.m.
    Orange County Shaolin Temple Cultural Center

Where: 375 Bristol St. No. 45, Costa Mesa

Schedule: Classes offered seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., including adult sparring, adult self defense, kids kung fu, tai chi, Shaolin qigong and meditation and free lessons in Chinese language and Shaolin culture.

About the culture

In A.D. 464, the Indian Buddhist monk Batuo traveled to China to teach the religion. Thirty-one years later, Emperor Xiaowen of the Northern Wei Dynasty built a small Shaolin Temple for the monk, locating it on the sacred Mount Song, where Batuo liked to meditate.

Legend tells that in A.D. 526, another Indian monk, Bodhidharma, arrived at the temple and discovered the monks had become weak and unhealthy from their lengthy meditations. In response, Bodhidharma developed Shaolin kung fu to strengthen the monks' bodies. Paired with Chan Buddhism, it forms the basis of Shaolin culture.

Since then, Shaolin kung fu has expanded to include 708 series of movements (ranging form grappling to disjointing), 72 unique skill sets and 193 weapons series (for spears, staffs, swords and broadswords).

The Shaolin philosophy of improving general wellbeing also extends to herbal medicine and fine art.

Source: Shaolin Temple website

Like many kids growing up the early ’90s, Master Shi Yanqing watched Jet Li movies and dreamed of being a hero.

Unlike most of those kids, Yanqing lived only 170 miles from the 1,519-year-old Shaolin Temple, where Buddhist monks have practiced a meditative version of kung fu for centuries.

By age 12, Yanqing moved away from his family and joined the temple in the pursuit of becoming a Shaolin kung fu master.

Nineteen years later, Yanqing, 31, said he is one of only 600 Shaolin masters in the world – and the only one in Orange County.

After winning a kung fu world championship tournament and mastering both the bare-hand and sword-wielding forms of the ancient Shaolin drunken combat style, Yanqing opened the Orange County Shaolin Temple Cultural Center – a Costa Mesa kung fu studio – in September. In doing so, he completed the first step of a mission he was assigned by Shaolin Temple Abbot Shi Yongxin: to improve Americans’ well-being by spreading the Shaolin discipline stateside.

Yanqing recently spoke through a translator about his love for kung fu, his growth into Buddhism and what it is like to venture into Southern California after 17 years of living and training in an ancient temple.

Q. How did you come to kung fu and the Shaolin Temple?

A. My parents had a retail store, selling chemicals and supplies to farmers in the village of Handan, in Hebei province. In China, kung fu is very popular in a few cities and provinces, including my hometown, and I started to have interest in it when I was 8 years old.

I insisted to my parents that I wanted to learn it. I read kung fu books and saw kung fu movies, watching Jet Li, Yu Chenghui (a famous Chinese actor and martial artist). That’s all I wanted. I wanted to be a hero.

I went to the Shaolin Temple at age 12. To be accepted by the temple, you have to be very moral – a good person and good at kung fu. You don’t have bad habits. You have to treat your parents well. At that time, my master was Shan Duo Duao. I learned with him a couple of years, and he introduced me to the temple.

I ended up staying there for 17 years and would return home only once every five years. My parents wanted to see me sometimes, but I did not miss my family because I was used to it. In China, people say, if you are a good boy, you can go anywhere. You should not just stay home. As a man, you should leave your family earlier. Then, you can be more solid, more independent. The simple life will make you have a better moral center. The quiet lifestyle will nurture your heart.

Q. What was life like in the Shaolin Temple?

A. A lot of routine. It is a religion. I got up at 5 a.m. every day. At 5:30, I prayed. At 6:30, I ate. Then school and Buddhist teachings for four hours. Then lunch and an hour nap, followed by five hours of kung fu lessons.

You would practice kung fu by yourself a lot. Everybody would practice what you choose. If you like broadsword, then you do that. My specialty is drunken fist, drunken sword and drunken stick (a fighting style that mimics the movements of a drunken person). It was difficult. You need your body to be totally loose and flexible but still powerful when you need to be.

At the beginning, it was kung fu that attracted me to the Shaolin Temple. Later, I learned Buddhist concepts. I learned that you have to have love for all the people in this world. The concept made me see something very, very big. After five years in the temple, I felt that I wanted to become a monk.

At a young age, we liked kung fu because we wanted to win something. Later, we learned Buddhist concepts and winning was not important. Winning is something outside. It is not inside of things. I changed a lot and got inner peace. Winning and losing were not important anymore. I was trying to meditate myself to ensure I had an unchangeable heart and a stable mind. So no matter what happens outside, I could always be at peace.

Q. How did you end up in Orange County?

A. I am here to represent Shaolin Temple. Shaolin monks travel to many countries. The master trusted me and authorized me with this honor. We moved to Irvine last year. Before that, I was the world champion at a Korean international kung fu competition, and I saved money from my tournaments and performances to help open this Costa Mesa studio.

But now, I am not a monk. For my whole life, I will be a Buddhist, but to be a monk is a lifestyle change, and you cannot do 200 forbidden things. My master sent me here to promote culture, and being a monk would make that difficult. Monks cannot do business. Sometimes, you go out to talk business, and people offer you a little wine. But monks cannot drink any alcohol. Sometimes you try not to hurt someone by telling a kind lie. But monks cannot lie.

Q. What do you hope to accomplish here?

A. I hope for all of America to have a new lifestyle by practicing kung fu and meditation. To make them healthier. That’s how our concept benefits people. Physical health by practicing kung fu. Inner peace by balancing the mind through meditation. Shaolin monks use meditation to strengthen their internal energy. After you practice meditation, you will not feel tired during kung fu.

So far, we have 30 students and growing. The difference between American and Chinese kung fu students is very big. The kids here, most of them just want to exercise and have fun, and they don’t study as hard. But in China, those kids really love kung fu and make the effort. But we do have a few kids here who really like it and want to be good. We don’t teach ethics, but I put the (Buddhist) concepts into the lessons sometimes: to strive for greatness, awareness, braveness, effort and equality.

I felt like I had a responsibility to promote the Shaolin culture. There is a fear it will die out. Human beings already have too much in this world. We own almost everything. We have had enough. Sometimes, we really need some development of the spirit.

Q. What is it like to go from living in a 1,519-year-old temple to living in Irvine and teaching in Costa Mesa?

A. It’s hard to communicate. My English is not good, but I’m learning.

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable here, and the big cities have too much technology. People also carry guns too easily, which scares me, even though I know kung fu.

But the American lifestyle is simple. I like that. Sometimes it’s quieter. I like traditional American culture. I love old Western towns. I watched cowboy movies and would love to go to visit those smaller villages. I like small villages and would like to experience them. Especially places with historical things. I like the feeling of experiencing older things.

Q. Do you hope to settle in America or return to the temple one day?

A. Just follow the heart. Wait and see.

Contact the writer: 714-796-7960 or jgraham@ocregister.com
    More pix online....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Yanqing

Same story as before, but there's also a vid if you follow the link.

KUNG FU MASTER LEAVES CHINA TO CALL COSTA MESA HOME

A kung fu master, who joined an ancient Chinese temple at the age of 12, has left China behind to call Orange County home.

By Greg Lee
    Tuesday, February 03, 2015 02:26PM

COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- A kung fu master, who joined an ancient Chinese temple at the age of 12, has left China behind to call Orange County home.

There are only 600 Shaolin kung fu masters in the world, and one of them is now living in Costa Mesa.

Through a translator, 31-year-old Master Shi Yanqing says he began studying at the ancient Shaolin Temple in China at age 12 and spent 17 years practicing kung fu and studying Buddhist teachings in an extremely disciplined environment.

In 2013, his master sent him to Orange County to share the shaolin culture. Last September, he opened the Orange County Shaolin Temple Cultural Center to teach the arts of kung fu and meditation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cali is starting to become a little Deng Feng. So many shaolin schools there now. Curious though, where did the author get the number 600 for the shaolin masters in the world??

I think the author is about as authentic as his subject and in it to sell tickets. Makes ya feel like you're missing the circus - and you're glad.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Cali most definitely has the most concentration of FOB monks especially in the Los Angeles area but then again it is becoming the new China here too. the most aggravating to the native ABCs here to say the least who have paved the road for many Chinese …. you know how generalizing and racial profiling can become ..

But we are also vey fortunate to have some of the best FOB " Shi Yan _____ " guys out here too. some wanna be(s) state they come from the main lodge of the temple because it helps them with their tuition . In the end of the day , we still are lucky to get some traditional form training and it beats going to China to train.
    The authentic ones have a very strong Buddhist connect to them so that's how you know if you're in with the in crowd or not . I"m just saying'

North versus South (Cali Shaolin)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDiva View Post
    Cali most definitely has the most concentration of FOB monks especially in the Los Angeles area but then again it is becoming the new China here too.
    Indeed so, but I'd argue that the highest concentration is here in the S.F. Bay area. In The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh, we documented 38 Shaolin monks in the S.F. Bay Area, and that was in our Shaolin Special 2007. In the past 7+ years, we've had many more immigrate to our area, so many that we never published a follow-up article because it was too much work to chase them all down. Some have left the area since then, but we still have a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDiva View Post
    the most aggravating to the native ABCs here to say the least who have paved the road for many Chinese ….
    I feel ya there, sista.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chang Yuan

Posted February 19, 2015 - 2:00am
    Chinese martial arts teacher seeks to aid students in finding peace

Kung fu master Shifu Chang Yuan leads a young class at the Shaolin Tai Chi Cultural Center on Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015. Yuan is a 33rd generation master Shaolin monk, and recently opened the Tai Chi Cultural Center at 9310 S. Eastern Ave. in Henderson. (David Becker/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

By CAITLYN BELCHER
    View Staff Writer

Five children in blue uniforms run around the room at the Shaolin Tai Chi Cultural Center, practicing their poses and punches before class.

At the instruction of Shifu Chang Yuan, they race to the center of the room and sit cross-legged to begin meditating.

“Because little kids don’t have life experience, Shifu Yuan must set a good example,” said instructor BeeLee Young. “He’s strict, but they know he cares about them so much.” Shifu is the Chinese title for teacher.

Yuan and his staff offer tai chi, kung fu, meditation and Chinese cultural classes at the center, 9310 S. Eastern Ave., Suite 123, which opened last June. His goal is to help the public find peace.

“Our body is sometimes controlled by our mind, so I want to help people use their mind to find peace even when they’re busy,” Yuan said while Young translated. “I wanted a place people could come to and relieve their stress.”

Born in China, Yuan was 12 when he was invited by his cousin to study tai chi at the Shaolin Temple, a monastery similar to a martial arts boarding school. After two days of thinking, he agreed and joined his cousin and eight other neighborhood children at the temple.

“The day before I left, my dad asked me if I thought the decision through because I had never been away from home before, and I would have to stay at the temple for at least a year,” Yuan said. “I didn’t answer him because I couldn’t imagine what my life was going to be like, but because of my decision, I lived at the temple for more than 15 years.”

Within six months, Yuan and his cousin were the only two from the original 10 who stayed at the temple. After nine months, it was just Yuan.

“In the Shaolin Temple, it is very strict,” he said. “You have to study kung fu eight hours a day, but kung fu is just a very small part of your daily life. The (teacher) will also teach you how to sit, how to speak to people properly, how to eat properly. It’s more like how to be a good human being.”

Yuan’s name was given to him by his teacher at the temple. Although there is no direct English translation, it’s similar to the “fate” of meeting someone who changes your life.

“It’s just like someone walking on a path, and one day meets someone that changes that path,” he said. “You start to live a very different life from before, and that’s what I did when I was 12.”

After becoming a 33rd-generation master Shaolin monk, Yuan performed around the world and played a role in the “Soul of Shaolin,” a Chinese production shown on Broadway. He returned to China in 2005 to teach tai chi and kung fu.

“I was invited by my kung fu brother to come teach at the Shaolin Kung Fu Chan school in Las Vegas in 2011,” Yuan said. “Then I opened this center in June 2014. The schools are connected because in the spirit of the Shaolin Temple, there is no ‘you’ or ‘me.’ Everything is together.”

Yuan is also offering free classes to Clark County School District teachers to help them be at peace and teach in the “best condition possible.”

“Our lives are given to us by our parents, but the intelligence and wisdom we learn in life is given by teachers,” Yuan said. “If the teachers learn how to find peace and how to calm down, it will benefit their students.

“I want to create a good foundation for children because, just like a plant, the roots start very young. If I give good guidance to a child, they will become a good person as they grow up.”

Instructor Zoe Lin teaches the Classical Chinese class using the book “Guide to True Happy Life: Di Zi Gui,” which follows the philosophies of Confucius.

“We recite the beginning of the contents in Chinese for the first 30 minutes, which is a good exercise for the tongue movement,” Lin said. “Because that’s harder Chinese content, when I start teaching them basic Chinese conversation, the tongue is already loose, and they reduce their accent. It’s a piece of cake for them.”

In addition to the language, the book also teaches students how to differentiate between right and wrong and how to respect others.

“The love parents have for their children is unconditional, so if you make a mistake, they will give you a second chance,” Lin said. “However, once you leave home, you don’t get second chance. If their mother doesn’t teach them, the world will. So the Chinese philosophy is to set the foundation of respect that children will carry for the rest of their lives.”

While some may learn martial arts for self-defense, the goal of Yuan’s classes is to promote peace and harmony within the body.

“My English is not very good, so I ask people to listen to my body language,” Yuan said without a translator. “If they can look into my eyes, they can see my heart and feel the peace.”

Young and Lin are set to participate in the Chinese New Year event Feb. 21 at the Galleria at Sunset, 1301 W. Sunset Road.

For more information, visit shaolintaichicenter.com or call 702-570-5120.

Contact Henderson View reporter Caitlyn Belcher at cbelcher@viewnews.com or 702-383-0403.
    Another monk in Vegas?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Only the authentic ones... (jus say-yin)
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu