Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dawn

Hybrid View

Red Dawn

It's another 80's reboot like Karate Kid due out in 2010. It's of interest as the Red menace in the 2010 version will be China. It's due out for this Thanksgiving.

Here's the official site, which is unimpressive so far.

Here's an unofficial site, which includes such gems as the Australian Red Dawn. I'm told the villains will be Asian there too. Check it out.
    Tomorrow When The War Began (2010) Official Trailer (with cast info)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

oh bummer

Anti-Chollywood. William Yun Lee is an old friend of Tiger Claw.
    "Red Dawn" remake irks Beijing (Reuters)
    Source: Reuters Thu Jun 03, 2010, 2:03 am EDT

BEIJING (Hollywood Reporter) - An MGM remake of the 1984 film "Red Dawn" -- this time, with the Chinese and the Russians as the enemies -- has drawn sharp criticism from one of the leading Chinese state-run newspapers two days in a row.

"U.S. reshoots Cold War movie to demonize China" and "American movie plants hostile seeds against China," read the Monday and Tuesday editorials in the Beijing-based Global Times, whose daily circulation, in Chinese and English editions, is about 1.5 million.

Coming on the heels of secretary of state Hilary Clinton's China visit, the commentaries said the $42 million film, directed by Dan Bradley and starring Connor Cruise (son of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman), "is deeply rooted in Americans' fear of China's rise."

"Despite the world's focus on U.S.-China relations in the strategic and economic dialogue and their increasing economic connections, China can still feel U.S. distrust and fear, especially among its people. Americans' suspicions about China are the best ground for the hawks to disseminate fear and doubt, which is the biggest concern with the movie 'Red Dawn,'" one commentary said.

Excerpts of the new "Red Dawn" script, by Carl Ellsworth and Jeremy Passmore, leaked last weekend on the Web site The Awl. The excerpts appear to reflect a story in which China's People's Liberation Army -- led by Korean-American actor Will Yun Lee as the chief baddie, Captain Lo -- invade the U.S., with a group of resisters fighting back.

Posters online for the film, which MGM plans to release in November, show a cracked red, white and blue U.S. map stamped with the PLA star and the slogan "Rebuilding Your Reputation," according to The Awl.

MGM spokesman Grey Munford said the posters were made by fans, not by the filmmakers. "There isn't a one-sheet for the film at this time," he said.

China's media regulators long have bristled at politics in the movies and recently censored all mentions of Russia and Russians as villains from the Chinese theatrical version of "Iron Man 2."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chinese movies demonize other nationalities all the time.

However, I personally have no interest in seeing Red Dawn. I do believe these kinds of films tend to stir up racist paranoia in the U.S. There's already a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment on some internet sites, what with so many U.S. companies relocating manufacturing facilities and jobs to China. And since most Americans who aren't Asian can't differentiate, all Asians are often seen as guilty by 'resemblance.' When in fact the problem is corporations, rather than races. I can see in some areas Asian kids in schools getting singled out by idiots whose families are easily influenced by this type of 'yellow peril' film.

the chinese do demonize other races, especially blacks and whites, we are always seen as grunting apes.. i mean you gotta go back to the eighties to actually see westerners prtrayed in any other light then bad. and even then its only a hand full of movies.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    However, I personally have no interest in seeing Red Dawn. I do believe these kinds of films tend to stir up racist paranoia in the U.S. There's already a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment on some internet sites, what with so many U.S. companies relocating manufacturing facilities and jobs to China. And since most Americans who aren't Asian can't differentiate, all Asians are often seen as guilty by 'resemblance.' When in fact the problem is corporations, rather than races. I can see in some areas Asian kids in schools getting singled out by idiots whose families are easily influenced by this type of 'yellow peril' film.
    pretty much my opinion as well. Leave the past well alone and lets move on. I liked red dawn back in the day, but making another with china as the "commy" bad guy would not be a very good idea in my opinion.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Sure, but if you make this an Us and Them situation, there's no resolution

Westerners are depicted poorly in several new Chinese films - notably Ip Man 2 and True Legend, both in the wake of Fearless. Such racist depictions really have no place in any cinema. Heck we got space aliens now. Can't we just use them as metaphors? Look at District 9. That was brilliant.

Red Dawn should be remade with martian commies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Westerners are depicted poorly in several new Chinese films - notably Ip Man 2 and True Legend, both in the wake of Fearless. Such racist depictions really have no place in any cinema. Heck we got space aliens now. Can't we just use them as metaphors? Look at District 9. That was brilliant.

Red Dawn should be remade with martian commies.
    gene you should write a ****ing script...that would be marvelous

Red Dawn - now its China's turn

kind of a political time bomb coming out with this movie at this junction of time.

But hell it should be interesting say the least.

The return of the Red Scare!!!!

http://reddawn2010.com/index.php?opt...limitstart=140

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    kind of a political time bomb coming out with this movie at this junction of time.

But hell it should be interesting say the least.

The return of the Red Scare!!!!

http://reddawn2010.com/index.php?opt...limitstart=140
    I wonder when they'll make a movie about some afghan friends who decide to take up arms against an occupying force in their country....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

here's a better site

but warning it contains spoilers!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/synopsis

Why would anyone invade the US?
    It has very little to offer China.

Most countries have learned that occupying another country is costly, pointless and never lasts anyways.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

you got that right.

China needs us just as we are in order to buy all their stuff.

The movie remake doesn't work against Russia as they are now #3 with the US & China the big 1 &2

Hoep the put some MA in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Most countries have learned that occupying another country is costly, pointless and never lasts anyways.
    Yeah. It's unfortunate that you and me and bawang there are puking up the tax dollars to pay our gov to send our guys into those crap holes so that everyone else can learn the lesson of how stupid it is to try an occupy a country without a game plan going in or a game plan on how to get out.

reckless idiots is the term I use to describe our governments on this matter.

If I have to listen to one more fool talk about iraq blowing up the wtc i'm going explode! lol

dang!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Oh, I don't know about that. Mexico and Canada seem to like the US pretty much. They have been envading for years and years, and the living is free and good. Don't know why a hungry Chinaman wouldn't like it too.