Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

It's another 80's reboot like Karate Kid due out in 2010. It's of interest as the Red menace in the 2010 version will be China. It's due out for this Thanksgiving.

Here's the official site, which is unimpressive so far.

Here's an unofficial site, which includes such gems as the Australian Red Dawn. I'm told the villains will be Asian there too. Check it out.
    Tomorrow When The War Began (2010) Official Trailer (with cast info)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

oh bummer

Anti-Chollywood. William Yun Lee is an old friend of Tiger Claw.
    "Red Dawn" remake irks Beijing (Reuters)
    Source: Reuters Thu Jun 03, 2010, 2:03 am EDT

BEIJING (Hollywood Reporter) - An MGM remake of the 1984 film "Red Dawn" -- this time, with the Chinese and the Russians as the enemies -- has drawn sharp criticism from one of the leading Chinese state-run newspapers two days in a row.

"U.S. reshoots Cold War movie to demonize China" and "American movie plants hostile seeds against China," read the Monday and Tuesday editorials in the Beijing-based Global Times, whose daily circulation, in Chinese and English editions, is about 1.5 million.

Coming on the heels of secretary of state Hilary Clinton's China visit, the commentaries said the $42 million film, directed by Dan Bradley and starring Connor Cruise (son of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman), "is deeply rooted in Americans' fear of China's rise."

"Despite the world's focus on U.S.-China relations in the strategic and economic dialogue and their increasing economic connections, China can still feel U.S. distrust and fear, especially among its people. Americans' suspicions about China are the best ground for the hawks to disseminate fear and doubt, which is the biggest concern with the movie 'Red Dawn,'" one commentary said.

Excerpts of the new "Red Dawn" script, by Carl Ellsworth and Jeremy Passmore, leaked last weekend on the Web site The Awl. The excerpts appear to reflect a story in which China's People's Liberation Army -- led by Korean-American actor Will Yun Lee as the chief baddie, Captain Lo -- invade the U.S., with a group of resisters fighting back.

Posters online for the film, which MGM plans to release in November, show a cracked red, white and blue U.S. map stamped with the PLA star and the slogan "Rebuilding Your Reputation," according to The Awl.

MGM spokesman Grey Munford said the posters were made by fans, not by the filmmakers. "There isn't a one-sheet for the film at this time," he said.

China's media regulators long have bristled at politics in the movies and recently censored all mentions of Russia and Russians as villains from the Chinese theatrical version of "Iron Man 2."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chinese movies demonize other nationalities all the time.

However, I personally have no interest in seeing Red Dawn. I do believe these kinds of films tend to stir up racist paranoia in the U.S. There's already a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment on some internet sites, what with so many U.S. companies relocating manufacturing facilities and jobs to China. And since most Americans who aren't Asian can't differentiate, all Asians are often seen as guilty by 'resemblance.' When in fact the problem is corporations, rather than races. I can see in some areas Asian kids in schools getting singled out by idiots whose families are easily influenced by this type of 'yellow peril' film.

the chinese do demonize other races, especially blacks and whites, we are always seen as grunting apes.. i mean you gotta go back to the eighties to actually see westerners prtrayed in any other light then bad. and even then its only a hand full of movies.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    However, I personally have no interest in seeing Red Dawn. I do believe these kinds of films tend to stir up racist paranoia in the U.S. There's already a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment on some internet sites, what with so many U.S. companies relocating manufacturing facilities and jobs to China. And since most Americans who aren't Asian can't differentiate, all Asians are often seen as guilty by 'resemblance.' When in fact the problem is corporations, rather than races. I can see in some areas Asian kids in schools getting singled out by idiots whose families are easily influenced by this type of 'yellow peril' film.
    pretty much my opinion as well. Leave the past well alone and lets move on. I liked red dawn back in the day, but making another with china as the "commy" bad guy would not be a very good idea in my opinion.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Sure, but if you make this an Us and Them situation, there's no resolution

Westerners are depicted poorly in several new Chinese films - notably Ip Man 2 and True Legend, both in the wake of Fearless. Such racist depictions really have no place in any cinema. Heck we got space aliens now. Can't we just use them as metaphors? Look at District 9. That was brilliant.

Red Dawn should be remade with martian commies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Westerners are depicted poorly in several new Chinese films - notably Ip Man 2 and True Legend, both in the wake of Fearless. Such racist depictions really have no place in any cinema. Heck we got space aliens now. Can't we just use them as metaphors? Look at District 9. That was brilliant.

Red Dawn should be remade with martian commies.
    gene you should write a ****ing script...that would be marvelous

I should, shouldn't I?

After all, I just wrote a book <insert shameless plug here>BUY SHAOLIN TRIPS<end shameless plug>. Then again, I'm still writing the mag. And there's that tournament this week. Lawd, no rest for the wicked.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

your gene "mutha f ucking" ching you can write anything.lol seriously thou that was a great idea. red dawn with aliens i could see it too. the earth discovers a secret underground society on mars, we automatically treat them hostilely and vice versa, a sorta new cold war develops between us and then boom they start dropping down in our towns...would be awesome...

I must confess a fondness for the original Red Dawn

The original was so brainlessly violent. And it just jumped right into the action with the first scene. The commies attack within minutes - no real explanation needed - and and hour and a half of gunplay and explosions ensue. It was honest filmmaking, never mind the stupid politics and xenophobia.

I'll be into the new Red Dawn if there's wushu.

Here's a column from Pravda - the Russian take on this.
    The Dangerous US Movie Industry
    07.06.2010 Source: Pravda.Ru

The US movie industry is dangerous. It creates xenophobic national or cultural stereotypes creating images of an external threat, the “them” which justifies the “us”, in this case the U.S. The latest outrage against Russia is MGM’s remake of Red Dawn.

Red Dawn was an infantile, jingoistic, gung-ho flick catering to provide an adrenalin rush for culturally challenged simpletons, made in 1984 (predictably), portraying the USSR and Cuba as the villain and the United States of America as the hero. This time around, the villains are the People’s Republic of China, and of course the eternal threat, Russia.

In the remake, which comes out in November, the US pulls out of Iraq, and concentrates in the island of their dear ally, Taiwan, facing a threat from mainland China while welcoming Georgia into NATO.

What the movie does, within the space of a couple of hours, is inject deep into the psyche of the movie-goers an updated Cold War scenario, through the recreation of foes that never existed, providing the justification of control mechanisms through the manipulation of fear. It is the incarnation of a powerful “them” which justifies the “us”, or the actions of the U.S.

While it would not be beyond the realms of fantasy to envisage a Washington engaged against two such monumental military colossuses, while the acceptance of Georgia into NATO would indeed be a decision made by Washington and not the NATO membership and while such a move would surprise nobody after NATO lied it would not spread eastwards, then promptly did, Washington knows very well that it is only ever partially successful in campaigns against scantily-armed lesser fry, beaten into submission through massive aerial bombardment. Russia and China have the muscle and the might to fight back. Mightily.

While a military confrontation with Russia would result in the total liquidation of any concentration of NATO troops anywhere near Russia’s frontiers in a salvo of missiles so dense that it would blot out the Sun, a simultaneous campaign against Russia and China would defy logic.

Science fiction.

Yet it does not matter whether the film is plausible. The demonization of Russia and, now, China, is a mainstay of American political and cultural output, just as the denigration of the Iraqi Government under Saddam Hussein, upon accusations just as idiotic and flimsy, was a justification for a military campaign.

Instead of making movies which build cultural bridges, instead of educating the American public as to what goes on in the real world overseas, instead of making friends and defusing tensions, what does MGM do? It insults Russia and China.

Figures. The question is posed, why?

Timothy BANCROFT-HINCHEY
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Red Dawn - now its China's turn

kind of a political time bomb coming out with this movie at this junction of time.

But hell it should be interesting say the least.

The return of the Red Scare!!!!

http://reddawn2010.com/index.php?opt...limitstart=140

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    kind of a political time bomb coming out with this movie at this junction of time.

But hell it should be interesting say the least.

The return of the Red Scare!!!!

http://reddawn2010.com/index.php?opt...limitstart=140
    I wonder when they'll make a movie about some afghan friends who decide to take up arms against an occupying force in their country....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

here's a better site

but warning it contains spoilers!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/synopsis

Why would anyone invade the US?
    It has very little to offer China.

Most countries have learned that occupying another country is costly, pointless and never lasts anyways.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !