Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Red Dawn

continued from previous

PALICKI: It was hard because you really had to walk a thin line. You don’t want it to be a cheesy situation because it’s not the important thing. The importance of it is to humanize all the characters. That way, when somebody blows up, you cry because you actually care about them. It’s important to do that. But, with the romantic part, we were both very much about making that relationship work without making it ridiculous, and Dan was, too. We weren’t going to stop and look at each other longingly, in the midst of all this warfare. I think the few moments that are in the movie hopefully earn the ending that happens between the two of them.

What kind of audition process did you have to go through for this film?

PALICKI: I actually met with Dan Bradley before I went in, and we talked very in-depth. And then, I went in and tested with Chris, and I had the job. It was one of the easier processes I’ve ever gone through.

When you hear “remake” or “reboot,” do you immediately get weary of the project, or do you keep an open mind about it until you read the script?

PALICKI: For me, it’s like, “Okay, it’s a job.” Then, I look at it and go, “Is it good?” Also, I ask, “Is it a remake or a reboot?” They’re different. Also, a lot of what’s being made right now are remakes, let’s be honest. But, with this, we had to really go in and pay tribute to the original, but make it our own, as much as possible. They’re two very different movies. I don’t think you could do a ton of comparisons between the two.

Were there changes made to the characters, once you all were cast in the roles?

PALICKI: Yeah. We would sit down and have massive collaboration meetings where we would really wade through the script. Thankfully, Dan was very much about us knowing our place and what we wanted to do with the characters. He had so much faith in what we were doing. I’d say, “Toni would never say this line,” or “Toni would say this instead.” It was very open, and there were definitely changes made. There weren’t substantial changes, but there definitely changes made, once the cast came in.

Did you find Toni to be someone who you could pretty well relate to? Did it feel like you might deal with a situation like this, in the same way that she did?

PALICKI: Yeah, absolutely! I would hope so. I’d hope that’s how I would deal with it. Going in, to be honest with you, I thought of her a lot like Tyra with a gun. She’s this bad girl who, all of a sudden, has to choose what she has to do and she’s totally like, “Let’s ****in’ do this! I’m going to make sure everybody is okay, and we’re going to lead this pack.” I would hope that I would do that! But, I don’t know, and I really don’t ever want to know!

What was it like to work with Dan Bradley, on set?

PALICKI: The acting stuff was new for him, but it was really fun to watch him in his element with all the action. He became this beast. He knows exactly what he’s doing, and he knows exactly what needs to go where. When you watch the movie, for me, I couldn’t breathe during some of those action sequences. During that first car sequence, I really forgot to breathe. He just does a phenomenal job of that.

Are you hoping that the Friday Night Lights movie will eventually happen, and that you’ll be a part of it?

PALICKI: I’m really in the middle. I want it to happen, but at the same time, I’m like, “Leave well enough alone.” Selfishly, I want it to happen. But, for the show’s sake, I don’t want it to happen. I don’t know. We’ll see. There’s still talks, but I don’t know what’s going to happen.

Red Dawn opens in theaters on November 21st.
    Now, as you'll see tomorrow, I got the opportunity to interview one of the stars of RED DAWN. Was it Adrianne Palicki? Oh hell no.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Not Adrianne Palicki

Josh Peck on RED DAWN by Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No ban on Chinese villains

This is a little ironic when you consider that there are dozens of Chinese-made films with entirely Chinese casts and they have Chinese villains.

China Film Official Insists There’s No Ban on Hollywood Movies With Chinese Villains
    It’s been difficult to spot a Chinese bad guy in a recent Hollywood blockbuster
    Matt Pressberg | November 1, 2016 @ 3:10 PM

A top Chinese film official said Tuesday that there’s no official policy to bar Hollywood movies featuring Chinese bad guys from playing in the country — which is expected to surpass the U.S. as the world’s biggest box office market in the next few years.

“As for villains or heroes, I don’t think there is any restriction,” Miao Xiaotian, the president of the China Film Co-Production Corporation, a state-run body that oversees co-productions, said at the Asia Society’s U.S.-China Film Summit at the University of California Los Angeles. “I cannot say that the villain cannot be played by Chinese actors. I don’t think there’s any restriction on that.”

The 2012 film “Red Dawn” famously swapped out its Chinese villains for North Koreans during postproduction to ensure it would get a theatrical run in China’s multiplexes. And since then, the number of big-screen bad guys from the Middle Kingdom has dwindled to basically zero, while the Chinese box office has become an increasingly important source of revenue for Hollywood.

Miao also shed light on China’s motives behind its policy of pursuing co-productions between U.S and Chinese firms. Official Chinese co-productions require a minimum 15 percent financial investment from Chinese partners — more with certain countries that have signed official treaties, and also substantial local representation in the cast.

“For casting, we request that there will be Chinese actors for main characters,” he said. “Our requirement is that there should not be less than one-third.”

Miao also reassured Hollywood execs about the content of films they hope to import into his country. “Don’t worry,” he said noting that most significant Hollywood films end up winning approval from China’s state censors.

This year, “Suicide Squad” and “Ghostbusters” failed to win approval — and Miao noted the war movie “300” as another example.

“I think that film didn’t go to China because of violence,” he said.

Currently, China allows 34 imported films per year on a revenue-sharing basis. Miao wouldn’t speculate on whether that quota might be raised, although there have been a flurry of Hollywood films that have recently landed China release dates, including Paramount’s “Allied,” Lionsgate’s “Deepwater Horizon” and Disney-Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” — as China’s box office has had an uncharacteristically sluggish run.

“In the future if the quota will increase or not, I’m not sure about that,” he said. “It’s hard to speculate. But I think co-production is a very good way to make it up.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Josh

Vanessa Hudgens, Josh Peck Break Into Top Actors Social Media Ranking Top 10
    10:00 AM 9/2/2017 by Kevin Rutherford

Dwayne Johnson, meanwhile, rules the chart, which ranks the most popular actors based on data from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and Google Plus, for a ninth week.

Getty Images
    Dwayne Johnson rules The Hollywood Reporter's Top Actors chart (dated Sept. 6) for a second straight week and ninth week overall, while Vanessa Hudgens jumps into the top 10 for the first time.

The Top Actors chart is a ranking of the most popular actors on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and Google Plus, with global data provided by social media analytics company MVPindex. The chart's methodology blends social engagement on the platforms along with weekly additions of followers/subscribers. The latest tracking week ended Aug. 29.

In all, six of the top 10 on the Top Actors chart are new to the region compared to the previous week, led by Hudgensand followed by Kevin Hart, Josh Peck, Priyanka Chopra, Nina Dobrev and Lucy Hale. Hudgens and Peck had never charted within the top 10 before.

See the full top 10 below (and see the full 25-position list in The Hollywood Reporter's issue dated Sept. 6), and for more charts from The Hollywood Reporter, check out the Top Comedians and Top TV Personalities charts.

10. Sabrina Carpenter

Getty Images
    Last week: 10

9. Lucy Hale

Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images
    Last week: 20

8. Nina Dobrev

Getty Images
    Last week: 13

The star of the upcoming sci-fi flick Flatliners (Sept. 29) looks to be a fan of Taylor Swift's new single; the actress tweeted a screenshot of her listening to "Look What You Made Me Do" on Spotify, writing simply, "Um… YES." The tweet was easily her most retweeted and favorited in a week that saw her boost 65 percent in Twitter likes, according to MVPindex.

7. Priyanka Chopra

Tim P. Whitby/Getty Images
    Last week: 11

6. Jennifer Lopez

Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images
    Last week: 2

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

5. Josh Peck

Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
    Last week: -

Peck reunited with former Drake & Josh co-star Drake Bell at the Aug. 27 MTV Video Music Awards following the pair's public spat, which stemmed from Bell not being invited to Peck's June wedding. Peck leaps by 968 percent in social media engagement, driven mainly by a photo of the duo hugging.

4. Kevin Hart

Mike Coppola/Getty Images
    Last week: 12

3. Gal Gadot

Getty Images
    Last week: 8

2. Vanessa Hudgens

Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images
    Last week: -

After trying out a hairstyle that recalled Cher for the previous week's So You Think You Can Dance, Hudgens made waves with a blonde look that was at least partially inspired by Taylor Swift, per a video posted to her Instagram of Hudgens singing along to the singer's new single. It earned her 11 million Instagram favorites, up 205 percent.

1. Dwayne Johnson

Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images
    Last week: 1
    And to think...I knew him when...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wolverines!

‘Wolverines’ graffiti straight out of ‘Red Dawn’ showing up all over battlefields in Ukraine
    Avenge me!

BY MAX HAUPTMAN | PUBLISHED APR 16, 2022 8:29 AM

CULTURE

Photos and screenshots showing various Russian military vehicles that were tagged with "Wolverines" in Ukraine, in an apparent reference to the 1980s Cold War action movie "Red Dawn." (Screenshots via Twitter).

The message seems to be spreading.

A photo posted to Twitter on Friday morning by journalist Nolan Peterson showed a burned-out Russian T-72 tank on a roadside supposedly near western Kyiv. Along the barrel, scrawled in white spray paint, was the word “Wolverines,” another seeming homage to the 1984 Cold War-era movie “Red Dawn.

Other videos showed civilians walking around the same tank, along with other charred wreckage.

Last week, a photo surfaced on Twitter showing a disabled Russian BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicle marked with the “Wolverines” tag. And now, much like the insurgency carried out by Patrick Swayze, Thomas Howell, and a collection of high school students from the town of Calumet, Colorado against a fictional Soviet invasion of the United States, the Wolverines tag is showing up more and more.

There is what looks like a burned-out BTR-80 armored personnel carrier, supposedly destroyed near Brovary, a suburb of Kyiv.

And then there is this photo of another destroyed T-72 with “Wolverines” painted in white on the side of the turret which, in this case, had not blown off.

And from Thursday, the wreckage of another BTR-82 seen by a French journalist in Nova Basan, again with “Wolverines” spray-painted across the front of the armored personnel carrier.

As we saw in the original movie — and we won’t be talking about the critically panned 2012 remake — the occupation of Colorado ends in disaster for the Soviet and Cuban occupiers. Taking their name from their old high school football team, the teenaged insurgents, among them Charlie Sheen, Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey, are soon waging a guerilla campaign, leaving behind the “Wolverines” tag whenever they strike.

The invasion of Ukraine has seen an impressive proliferation of information warfare. There have been the memes. There have been tales of bravery that have ranged from muddled to almost certainly apocryphal, such as the “Ghost of Kyiv.”

How a 1980s movie reference made its way to the battlefields of Ukraine is unclear. But it certainly seems as if there will be plenty of more tanks and armored vehicles bearing the tag: “Wolverines.”

Max Hauptman
    Max Hauptman has been covering breaking news at Task & Purpose since December 2021. He previously worked at The Washington Post as a Military Veterans in Journalism Fellow, as well as covering local news in New England. Contact the author here.
    Ukraine
    Red-Dawn
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips