Thread: Ip Man 3

Hybrid View

Ip Man 3

I thought there already was an Ip Man 3 thread but perhaps it's all nested in the Ip Man 1 and Ip Man 2 threads. Maybe it's in the The Grand Master thread? Or maybe the Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man thread?

Jay Chou may play martial arts legend Bruce Lee in 'Ip Man 3'
    Posted: 05 May 2010 1819 hrs

Box office hit 'Ip Man 2' may get a sequel.

HONG KONG: Mandarin Films Distribution, the film company behind the immensely popular martial arts films "Ip Man" and its sequel "Ip Man 2", has said through a spokesperson that discussions are underway to shoot "Ip Man 3" with singer Jay Chou and Donnie Yen.

"The company would love to shoot 'Ip Man 3' with the original cast and crew. However, we will have to discuss the collaborative details with producer Raymond Wong to understand the situation, and if Jay Chou and Donnie Yen's names come up during our discussions, it would be the perfect team," said the spokesperson.

Hong Kong director Wilson Yip, who helmed the first two films, had revealed earlier in March that if he could shoot the third film, it would (like the films before it) be about the life of kung fu grandmaster Ip Man, but focus more on his relationship with his famous student, martial arts legend Bruce Lee.

According to Yip, "Ip Man 3" would feature an older Ip Man, so Yen might be made to look much older and appear in fewer action sequences than the previous films.

Chou is also pegged to play Lee, as Yip mentioned last year that the superstar singer was a good candidate for the role.

Mandarin Films and director Yip may be supportive of the project, but "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" producer Raymond Wong, as well as Yen, who played the titular hero in both films, were less enthusiastic.

Speculation is rife that Wong had a falling out with Mandarin Films. He also expressed his reluctance to get involved in "Ip Man 3".

"Ideally, I do not want to start shooting ['Ip Man 3'] this year or the next. There are so many 'Ip Man'-related films on the market; we should wait till the audience digest it all!" said Wong on Tuesday.

His reluctance was shared by Yen, who had repeatedly said that the first two "Ip Man" films were good enough and did not wish to make a third.

"A lot of people want to see me do 'Ip Man 3' but I don't want to do it in the near future. I will see how the script turns out before deciding," said Yen on Tuesday.

"If Jay Chou is chosen to play Bruce Lee, I think he should train with me for six months before shooting starts, so he can look convincing during kung fu action sequences."

Apart from the "Ip Man" series, another movie is in production about the kung fu master.

The Wong Kar Wai-directed "The Grand Master", which stars Hong Kong actor Tony Leung, has been plagued by mishaps and delays and is set to hit screens in 2011.

- CNA/ha
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Jay

06/05/2010
    Jay Chou as Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3?

There are plans to cast multi-talented superstar Jay Chou as kungfu legend Bruce Lee in a third Ip Man film

After the box-office successes of Ip Man and its 2010 sequel, filmmakers are in discussions to make the franchise a trilogy, with Taiwanese singer-songwriter Jay Chou targeted as the man to assume the highly lucrative but challenging role of Bruce Lee.

2008's Ip Man, a semi-biographical martial arts film about the Wing Chun master of the same name, was both a commercial and critical success. Ip Man 2 was then released last month and is currently matching the box-office takings of Hollywood blockbusters like Iron Man 2 in Hong Kong.

This has prompted producers to begin planning for a third film, with intentions to bring back director Wilson Yip and producer Raymond Wong.

It is believed that Wilson has his eyes on Jay.

Kungfu star Bruce Lee is the most famous disciple of Ip Man and was slated to be featured prominently in Ip Man 2, but eventually only makes a cameo in the form of a boy.

His relationship with an aging Ip Man will now be explored in the third film instead of the second.

Whatever the plan is, things might have to go on hold though.

Raymond seems hesitant to jump onboard a new project. "I prefer to not have [a third film] this year or next. There are so many movies related to Ip Man now (there are also Wong Kar Wai's The Grand Master and Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man). Let's wait for this saturation to pass."

Even lead actor Donnie Yen dismissed another quick sequel. "Let's wait for the script. Also, if Jay Chou is acting as Bruce Lee, I would need half a year to train him for his kungfu to look convincing."
    It's going to take more than half a year for Jay to look convincing as Bruce. Maybe it could be done with CGI...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

they will put him on the juice.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I'll bet they won't show that it was Sifu William Cheung who introduced Bruce to Yip/Ip Man.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Donnie the tease

The kicker is the last paragraph.
    Donnie Yen on his love for martial arts movies
    Published: 20/10/2011 at 12:00 AM
    Newspaper section: Life

Donnie Yen is one of Asia's most popular action stars with more than 50 film credits to his name. From Hong Kong to Hollywood, he has captivated audiences with his style of martial arts _ a craft he has honed since childhood.

This week, Talk Asia meets the star in Hong Kong where he discusses his path to success, the evolution of action films, and opens up on chances of a third Ip Man film.

Since making his film debut at the age of 19, the 48-year-old actor has become one of the most recognisable stars in Asia, most notably in Ip Man _ a biopic about the martial arts legend who would become Bruce Lee's master.

Yen shares with host Kristie Lu Stout his thoughts on what made the film such a big success. "For decades, when we watched a martial arts film from Bruce Lee days it was more of a macho type of image, but then they managed to turn everything around like he's a family man, the softer side. He's very passive. I think it connected with a lot of female viewers. That's why that film had a success beyond what other martial arts movies have ever achieved."

Over the years, Yen has worked with superstars such as Jackie Chan and Jet Li. He shares with Lu Stout the experience of making movies with them, discussing how he staged epic fights scenes with Li in Once Upon a Time in China 2 and Hero. "At the time, we were put together in the film and we were younger, it was very competitive. But we had a lot of fun and the film turned out to be very successful."

The star compares creating action scenes in Hong Kong and Hollywood, where he has also choreographed and appeared in productions. "

[In Hollywood,] you choreograph the move, then you let the director and the cinematographer position the camera. Actually, it doesn't really work as well. In Hong Kong, we've crafted this art for decades. The action choreographer is actually the action director. He takes over and choreographs by himself and places the camera to highlight the choreography."

Yen also shares with Lu Stout his memories of growing up in the US as a member of a minority and the culture shock he felt when his parents sent him from Boston to a Beijing martial arts school in the 1980s. He explains how, despite the identify confusion, his patriotism found an outlet in martial arts films. "Since I was young, I have always been patriotic. Why do all Chinese look up to Bruce Lee? Because we found a person, it gave us a sense of roots and nation."

Yen is the son of world-renowned martial arts expert Madam Bow Sim-Mark and started training from the age of four. Now with two young children of his own, he finds it hard to hide his excitement about the talent he sees in his four-year-old son. "James can punch and kick all day long. I don't know where he got that from. He's never seen any of my films. He does have a natural gift. He can strike a pose and throw his legs like he's done it all his life."

This week Yen also takes Talk Asia behind the scenes of his latest project and reveals where things stand on the much-awaited Ip Man 3. "I wanted to explore and take advantage of the opportunities that have been granted to me for the next two years. I want to try other roles and see how far I can stretch those roles. Then maybe after that, Ip Man 3."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Donnie is in!

...in 3D no less...
    Donnie Yen to return as Ip Man in 3D Ip Man 3
    Updated 06:53 PM Apr 10, 2012
    HONG KONG - Ip Man 3 script writer Edmond Wong revealed last week that Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen will return as martial arts master Ip Man in Ip Man 3, which will feature 3D visual effects, reported Hong Kong media.

This has been confirmed by Yen's publicist, who said that Yen "is looking forward" to working on a 3D Ip Man film, and had entered into preliminary discussions with the film's producer Raymond Wong, though he "had not yet seen the script".

Edmond Wong further revealed that Ip Man 3 will see Ip Man's famous student, martial arts legend Bruce Lee, play a big part in the story, though Ip Man will remain the film's central character.

"What is certain is that the film will begin with Bruce Lee becoming Ip Man's disciple. As for who will play Bruce Lee, we will have to do a large-scale casting exercise. Stars like Aarif Lee and Danny Chan are suitable and have played Bruce Lee before, but we are looking for a 16-17 year-old Bruce Lee. They may be a little too old. It is all up to Wilson Ip (the film's director) to decide," said Wong.

Ip Man 3 producer Raymond Wong, added that the film will have a much bigger budget than Ip Man and Ip Man 2, as it will feature fight scenes enhanced with 3D effects.

Ip Man 3 will be the third film in the Ip Man series of martial arts films, which have done exceptionally well in the box office and had sparked a renewed interest in Wing Chun, a form of martial arts practised by Ip Man.

The film is scheduled to go into production at the end of the year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Donnie at SIFF on IM3

Shanghai: Donnie Yen Describes Shooting Fight Scenes with Mike Tyson as a Near-Death Experience
    The Hong Kong action star spoke about the full sweep of his career at a Shanghai International Film Festival masterclass, while also discussing his current mission to defy Chinese stereotypes on screen.

BY KAREN CHU

JUNE 16, 2021 8:15PM

Donnie Yen at the opening ceremony of the 2021 Shanghai Film Festival. YVES DEAN/GETTY IMAGES
    Speaking at a Shanghai International Film Festival masterclass this week, Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen recounted how one of Mike Tyson’s hooks almost knocked him out with the force of “a head-on truck” during the shooting of Ip Man 3 (2015). The actor has taken on triple duties at this year’s SIFF. In addition to sharing the highlights of his career in the masterclass, he has also premiered his latest cop thriller Raging Fire and is the ambassador for the festival’s “Belt and Road Film Week” sidebar.

Yen recalled that, as a boxing fan of Tyson’s, he relished the chance to spar with the former world heavyweight champion on-screen. But Yen also had no illusion about Tyson being a real boxer, not an actor, and knew that Tyson’s boxing moves were not only for show. “When I was in a scene with him, I had to remind myself that I have to be very cautious. I daren’t allow myself to think I was shooting a scene for a film,” Yen told the masterclass. “I had to treat it as a real fight in a boxing ring with him and it was a matter of life and death. I couldn’t afford to be distracted in any way, otherwise it wouldn’t have been a K.O., it would have cost me my life.”

In a shot when Tyson threw a hook, Yen was supposed to duck, but for the sake of the cameras, he could only duck at the last possible moment. “That was so dangerous! I literally felt the air move with his punch, which was like a truck coming towards me head-on. I felt that wind — woah, that’s still so clear in my mind, so dangerous! His fist was so huge, and it touched my hair,” Yen reminisced, still shaken. “I had to wait until the last moment to crouch down and at the same time not let myself be hurt. For me, that was the biggest pressure.”

Yen, who is set to appear in the fourth installment of Keanu Reeves’s John Wick franchise, also talked in-depth about his start in the film industry under the tutelage of acclaimed action choreographer Yuen Woo-ping, who, incidentally, designed the action sequences and trained Reeves for The Matrix trilogy.

Yen came from a martial arts lineage, having learned since a young age from his mother, a famed tai chi master, and later went to Beijing to train further in martial arts. His mother counted among her pupils the sister of Yuen Woo-ping. In the mid-1980s, when Yuen was prepping Drunken Tai Chi, his follow-up to Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow (both 1978), which made Jackie Chan a star, Yuen’s sister recommended the 18-year-old Yen to him, and the film became Yen’s screen debut.

Yen and Yuen went on to make contemporary actioner Tiger Cage in 1988, where Yen first suggested to his film industry mentor “a personal stamp”, inspired by Yen’s hero, Bruce Lee. “Generally, in a fight scene, the last shot would stay on the defeated,” Yen said. “But that shot was always reserved for Bruce Lee in a Bruce Lee film. You get the full blast of his charisma in that shot. The way he pulled a punch, how he retracted his fist – that is completely his personal charm.”

His latest outing, Raging Fire, was also the posthumous work of Hong Kong director Benny Chan, who fell ill and was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer during the film’s production and passed away last August at the age of 58. Yen disclosed that it was the mutual admiration he shared with the helmer of Hong Kong classic A Moment of Romance (1990) and later The White Storm (2013) that led to his signing up for Raging Fire. Chan completed filming but was not able to take charge of the post-production due to declining health.

As one of the Asian stars making a mark in Hollywood films such as Rogue One and the live-action Mulan, Yen considered these jobs an important chance, a mission even, for positive Chinese representation. “I’d always ask the producer whether the role I’m supposed to take and the content of the film as a whole is respectful of Chinese people and Chinese culture,” said Yen, a self-proclaimed patriot. “That’s something I’ve always done. Now that I have more influence, I must speak up for my country and speak out when I think something is not right. I also have a very important mission, which is to use my influence to show the audience that Chinese are not a stereotype. Whatever you can do, we can do it, too.”
    threads
    Donnie-Yen-Uber-Awesome-!!
    Shanghai-International-Film-Festival
    Ip-Man-3
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips