Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ip Man 3

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Well, this is an interesting move. Going for that global audience. Tyson has great villain potential.
    Yep, this makes it very interesting. Tyson's acting skills are actually quite solid. I saw him on an episode of Law & Order SVU sometime back, and he's very natural in front of the cameras.

I don't know how even Donnie Yen as Ip Man will be convincing against Tyson as whatever character he'll play. I know...suspension of disbelief. But this is Mike Tyson. It will be impossible to separate his onscreen character with who we know him as. I suspect that the Ip family would've been very happy that Ip Man never had to 'cross hands' with a guy like him.

I don't know where they're going with some of the IpMan story lines but if they could stretch it a bit more I'd like to see IpMan fight the Incredible Hulk. Hulk with Bruce Lee haircut:http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ubL99NCFNJI/0.jpg
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 03-30-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Then again, maybe not

Bruce Lee's Estate Seeks to Stop Icon's Depiction in 'Ip Man 3'

Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

by Karen Chu
    3/31/2015 10:50pm PDT

The estate of legendary martial artist and actor Bruce Lee is seeking to stop his name, likeness and story from featuring in the upcoming Hong Kong action biopic Ip Man 3.

Hong Kong-based Pegasus Motion Pictures said at Filmart that the now-filming Ip Man 3 will feature a young, computer-generated likeness of Bruce Lee, a real-life disciple of Wing Chun master Ip Man (played by Donnie Yen).

Bruce Lee Enterprises (BLE) has asserted that it has undisputed ownership of all intellectual property rights related to Bruce Lee and is the sole owner of all worldwide rights relating to Bruce Lee’s name, image, likeness, persona, signature, voice, attributes, marks, logos, symbols, works, photographs and writings. BLE COO and general counsel Kris Storti tells THR that the Bruce Lee estate is "justifiably shocked" to learn that Pegasus is intending to include Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3, and that the decision is "completely unauthorized" by BLE. "To state it in no uncertain terms, BLE intends to seek all remedies available to it to stop Pegasus from including the computer-generated version of Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3," Storti stated.

The producers of Ip Man 3 have the cooperation of Robert Lee, Bruce Lee's brother, who is working as a consultant on the film. While Pegasus asserted that Robert Lee owns the intellectual property rights of Bruce Lee, BLE contended that "Robert Lee does not own or control any intellectual property rights associated with Bruce Lee, including, without limitation, any rights to Bruce Lee’s name, likeness and image. Robert Lee does not represent BLE, nor is he authorized to represent any intellectual property rights in connection with Bruce Lee in any way."

Ip Man 3 producer and Pegasus chairman Raymond Wong told THR that the matter is now being handled by lawyers, with an announcement to be made soon.

Ip Man 3 will star Mike Tyson opposite Donnie Yen and is set for a 2016 release.
    Innerestin issue...I'll be curious to see how this turns out.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me. Bruce Lee was a man, but now he's been turned into a mere product. I heard something about even his former students are no longer allowed to use the name 'Bruce Lee' when they mention their late teacher, or else they can be sued. It's only a matter of time before nobody can say or write the name without facing litigation from Linda. I wonder if she'll start suing everybody who is also coincidentally named Bruce Lee.

It's more than ridiculous, actually. It's crossed the line into despicable.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-06-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Mike is in

CANNES: Mike Tyson Confirms Role in Kung Fu Biopic ‘Ip Man 3’

Ip Man 3
    PRNewsFoto/Shanghai Kuailu Investment Group
    May 11, 2015 | 01:00AM PT
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has been confirmed as joining the cast of “Ip Man 3.” The film is the final instalment of a biopic of martial arts ace and one time mentor of Bruce Lee, Ip Man.

After the previous episodes focused on Ip’s early life, “Ip Man 3” focuses on the master-student relationship between Ip (aka Yip) and Bruce Lee. Martial arts ace, Donnie Yen reprises his role as Ip in the film to be directed by Wilson Yip.

Tyson is set to have a significant role in Ip Man 3, playing a property developer and street fighter. He is expected going to have several intense fight scenes with Yen.

The film which has a budget of $36 million is produced by Hong Kong-based Pegasus Motion Pictures. It is executive-produced by Shi Jianxiang, founder and CEO of Shanghai Kuailu Investment Group.

Ip Man 3 is tentatively scheduled for release in 3D in the first quarter of 2016. Pegasus, which is also handling international sales, will open the film for business this week in Cannes.

An offer to Tyson to appear in the film was made earlier this year at the Oscars ceremony in Los Angeles. Confirmation of his casting was announced this week at an event in Shanghai.

Tyson has had previous acting roles in films including “The Hangover II,” “Scary Movie 5,” and the upcoming “Meet The Blacks.”
    Should be amusing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol

oh man, i can hear all the trad. kf guys now claiming 'see? boxing doesn't work against kf w/out gloves!'

Mike Tyson: Donnie Yen fractured my finger!
    Cinema Online – 11 hours ago

Mike Tyson: Donnie Yen fractured my finger!

18 May – Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson recently flicked his left forefinger to the media and revealed that Hong Kong's "Strongest Man in the Universe", Donnie Yen had injured it while they were filming "Ip Man 3".

As reported on Oriental Daily News, Tyson, whose left index finger was heavily bandaged during a set visit recently, stated that it was fractured when Donnie accidentally hit it during a combat scene.

"All of you were worried that Donnie will get injured. Nobody cared about me. Now I am injured, still nobody came to console me," he joked.

Donnie later explained that he accidentally elbowed Tyson's finger while trying to accommodate the camera.

"I knew that I bumped into him, but I didn't know it was that serious. He was very professional about it and we even continued filming. It was only later at the hospital that he was told that his finger had fractured. I am truly sorry!" said Donnie.

The actor was also full of praises for the former boxer, saying that they often shared knowledge about fighting during breaks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    oh man, i can hear all the trad. kf guys now claiming 'see? boxing doesn't work against kf w/out gloves!'
    OR...I can imagine people in China saying, "Even the great Mike Tyson was injured and defeated when he faced China's hero!"

More on the finger

Donnie Yen-Mike Tyson showdown on Ip Man 3 set: Guess who won?
    Published on May 18, 2015 6:48 PM

Action star Donnie Yen (far left) and former boxer Mike Tyson (in white) on the set of upcoming film Ip Man 3. -- PHOTO: PEGASUS MOTION PICTURES

HONG KONG – In a fight between Donnie Yen and Mike Tyson, who would win? That question seemed settled on the set of Ip Man 3 the other day, when action star Yen accidentally broke a finger of his new co-star, knockout king Tyson, said Apple Daily.

Tyson had his left index finger in a brace when the newspaper visited the set. Hamming it up as the victim, he was quoted as saying by the report: “You were worried only whether Donnie would be hurt, nobody thought of my safety. Now that I'm hurt, no one is comforting me.”

Yen said he was trying to give the camera a good shot when his elbow struck Tyson’s finger. “I knew I hit him during the shoot, but didn’t think it was serious, and we continued shooting.”

Tyson found out about the fracture when he went to hospital later, said Yen, who added: “I’m really very sorry.”

Yen and the crew all praised the professionalism of Tyson, who has continued to perform his own stunts despite his injury, said the newspaper.

Tyson, 48, has played cameo roles in movies including The Hangover (2009) after hanging up his professional boxing gloves. He is the biggest name in boxing to face off with Yen, 51, in the Ip Man movies.

It remains to be seen if their duels on the big screen will top Yen's showdowns with martial arts superstars Sammo Hung in SPL: Kill Zone (2005) and Jet Li in Once Upon A Time In China II (1992).

Ip Man 3, the latest instalment in the story of Bruce Lee's teacher, will open in February next year, according to the movie website IMDb.
    "no one is comforting me' awww, poor Iron Mike. Wonder if he comforted his rape victim.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more injuries

So far, these sound like minor injuries, stuff Jackie would have used for his ng scenes at the end of the film. Nowadays, they make for good viral marketing I suppose, as long as no one gets seriously injured.

Donnie Yen injures nose while filming fight scene
    By Heidi Hsia | From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo Newsroom – 18 hours ago

Donnie Yen injures nose while filming fight scene

10 Jun - It has been two months since "Ip Man 3" started filming, and accidents have been happening frequently.
    After Donnie Yen accidentally fractured Mike Tyson's finger, and he himself injured his hands later on, it was recently revealed that the martial arts actor has been injured yet again, this time on his nose, and by Max Zhang's blade.
    According to Mingpao News, the two stars were filming a scene where Donnie Yen's Ip Man accepted a challenge made by Max Zhang's character to fight with Wing Chun's Eight Catty Blade.
    However, the blade was too close to his face while they were doing it, and ended up injuring his nose.
    "I felt truly guilty," said Max, who immediately rushed over to Donnie to help. "But I really admire Donnie. He laughed despite the injury. He is very professional."
    Donnie stated that an injury is part and parcel of working on fight scenes, and that he himself has injured others before.
    "It's only a minor injury this time, and it didn't bleed that much," he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Donnie's last?

Action star Donnie Yen says Ip Man 3 is likely to be his last gongfu movie

Hong Kong actor and marital artist Donnie Yen.PHOTO: ST FILE
    Published Aug 23, 2015, 2:16 pm SGT
    Paige Lim

Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen, famous for playing legendary wing chun grandmaster Ip Man in the blockbuster franchise, says that Ip Man 3 may well be his last gongfu movie.

The actor admits that he is uncertain if he can deliver another character as iconic as Ip Man, a role which catapulted him to A-list status seven years ago.

He tells Life: "I don't know if I can find another character in a gongfu movie which can satisfy the artistic desire as well as the audience's expectations."

According to online reports, the actor had previously announced his intent to step down from the franchise last March (2015) at a press conference in Shanghai. He was in town last week (Aug 15 2015) for the opening of Swiss watchmaker Hublot's largest pop-up store in the world, at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza.

He says: "Ip Man is so rooted in the fans' hearts and I believe I've played that role quite successfully. I'm not sure if it will be a wise decision for me to search for another (gongfu) role."

But he is not the first martial arts star to say he is giving up the genre.

Hollywood action maestros Jet Li and Jackie Chan have made similar sentiments in interviews over the years, only to return to what they do best.

In 2006, Li was quoted as saying wuxia epic Fearless would be his last martial arts film. He later went on to star in martial arts film The Forbidden Kingdom alongside Chan in 2008, followed by another wuxia epic Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate in 2011.

Chan, on the other hand, announced his decision to retire from action movies in 2012, while promoting fight flick CZ12. The martial arts expert clarified his comments later on, saying he would be retiring from specifically "big" action movies and would perform less-demanding stunts. He is set to begin filming on action-adventure movie, Kung Fu Yoga, next month (September).

Dressed casually in a T-shirt and jeans, Yen seems right at home during the interview at the Grand Hyatt Singapore. Speaking in English with an American accent, he exudes the same imperturbable calm as the placid and good-tempered Ip Man he plays on the big screen.

While other Hong Kong actors such as Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Anthony Wong and Dennis To have taken on the same role in the last few years, it is clear that none have come close to being as memorable as Yen.

After all, the gongfu-trained former stuntman, who was voted the best Ip Man by Straits Times readers in a 2013 poll, is the first to play the titular character in the hugely popular action flick Ip Man (2008). The film grossed more than US$21 million worldwide and the sequel Ip Man 2, was released in 2010.

Even at the age of 52, Yen is not running out of steam. He is slated to appear in two more blockbuster franchises - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II, the anticipated sequel to Lee Ang's 2000 Oscar-winning film, and the recently announced Rogue One: A Star Wars Story from Lucasfilm.

When asked how he feels towards criticism that gongfu stars cannot act, he says: "That kind of myth was a long time ago. Obviously I don't believe it and I have proven otherwise."

In fact, he believes that "everyone" can act "to some degree", unless one is "not a human".

"When you play a character, you are sharing your own personal past experiences in life. Unless you are totally unsentimental or not a human, you would know how to express the emotion needed for a good acting performance."

Having said that, he still has a desire to stretch his limits as an actor. He was initially uninterested in reprising his role in Ip Man 3 as he felt the need to explore "other possibilities".

He says: "I am very fortunate to have played a character majority of the audience has embraced. But I wanted to continue to grow as an artist and did not want to be stuck only playing Ip Man."

After the commercially-successful Ip Man 2 in 2010, he followed up with varied roles in comedy All’s Well, Ends Well (2011), cop action movie Special ID (2013) and fantasy flick The Monkey King last year.

On why he changed his mind about Ip Man 3, he says: "Ultimately, I thought a lot of fans would love to see me play Ip Man again. If Wilson Yip could come up with an angle for me to be challenged, then I would play the role."

He hopes audiences will experience "the same type of excitement" for the third instalment as they did for the first two, not from watching the thrilling action scenes, but from the additional emotional dimension he will be bringing to the character this time.

"For the audience to be attracted to a character, that character has to have something they can relate to and that was the challenge always at the back of my mind. How do I make this character more sophisticated and interesting?"

While he may be leaving gongfu movies for good after Ip Man 3, he is quick to add that it is not because they pack less of a punch in the entertainment industry.

"No matter what culture, all the movies in the world have martial arts elements in them. Look at all the Hollywood blockbuster films, like the Avengers, when they are in combat" he says. "Martial arts is no longer an Asian thing and it is becoming a necessity for all action movies."

Fans can perhaps look forward to catching glimpses of his fighting skills when he heads off to the galactic landscape in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

He is said to be playing a Chinese Jedi in the first of a spin-off movie series from the Star Wars saga, alongside actors such as Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Forest Whitaker and fellow Chinese actor Jiang Wen. The first cast photo was released last week (Aug 15).

The actor is understandably excited about his newest role.

He says: "It's a good learning experience for me to be in such a big franchise. The very first sci-fi movie I saw when I was a teenager was Star Wars and I never thought that I would be co-starring in one many years later."

As many of his previous films contain relatively violent fight scenes, he says: "It's about time I can take my kids to watch my movie. Star Wars is a family movie and I think kids will love it."

He is married to former beauty queen Cecilia Wang and they have an 11-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son. He also has a 20-year-old son from his first marriage.

With Rogue One: A Star Wars Story set for release only at the end of next year (Dec 2016), audiences can catch him for now as the wing chun master he is best known for.

Ip Man 3 opens here on Christmas Eve (Dec 24).

One of the highlights of the movie will be the explosive duels between Yen and heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, who is in the cast. This is especially so after news of Yen accidentally breaking Tyson's finger on set emerged in May.

The star, who was reportedly trying to give the camera a good shot when his elbow struck Tyson's finger, is quick to play down the incident.

He says: "Accidents do happen and it was purely an accident. It's movie-making, it wasn't a boxing match or a combat match. I think Mike and I will provide a very exciting fight."
    Yea, if I was cast in Star Wars, I would just live off those royalties and going to Cons for the rest of my life....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The HK Xmas present

IP MAN 3: New Images Of Donnie Yen, Mike Tyson, But No CGI Bruce Lee Yet
    James Marsh, Asian Editor

New character images have surfaced from Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen's inevitable third collaboration, Ip Man 3, which will pit the wing chun master against an American property developer, portrayed by former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, as well as finally focus on his relationship with his greatest pupil, Bruce Lee.

After failing to find an actor worthy enough to portray Lee onscreen, the film's producers Pegasus Motion Pictures have taken the rather ballsy step of creating a completely CGI version of the iconic martial artist to appear alongside Yen. This move has been challenged by Bruce Lee Enterprises, but producers insist that Lee's brother Robert - a consultant on the film - owns the star's intellectual property rights. As yet, however, we are still waiting to see an image of the all new CG Lee.

Ip Man 3, which also features rising star Max Zhang (The Grandmaster, SPL 2) is currently set for release in Hong Kong on 25 December 2015.

The Digital Dragon issue is very intriguing as it may well set a precedent. Also, it makes our 2000 March 'Digital Dragon' issue somewhat prophetic, even though that was 15 years ago when the second paragraph opened with the header "WHAT IS DVD?" Man, The Times They Are A-Changin'...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

teaser trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me. Bruce Lee was a man, but now he's been turned into a mere product. I heard something about even his former students are no longer allowed to use the name 'Bruce Lee' when they mention their late teacher, or else they can be sued. It's only a matter of time before nobody can say or write the name without facing litigation from Linda. I wonder if she'll start suing everybody who is also coincidentally named Bruce Lee.

It's more than ridiculous, actually. It's crossed the line into despicable.
    Bruce Lee ! Jeet Kune Do. Jun Fan. Now if I am lucky enough to be sued I may get the chance to meet Bruce Lee's widow and daughter.

edit: If people are using her husbands name or likeness for financial gain then she should either get a cut or refuse usage. She got screwed plenty for many years. If some guy learned from Bruce Lee then he should have the right to say and advertise that provided it is true. If people teach Jun Fan then they should be allowed to use it. For them to have to join and organization or pay dues is simply wrong but that would also mean they are excluded from those events and that is right. Trust me, there is no one getting rich teaching Bruce Lee material. Movies and merchandise, YES ! Still to this day he makes bucks.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 09-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Boo!

Wilson Yip can come up with someone to play Ip Man but unlike all the other Bruce Lee spinoff movies in the past can't just pick one of the long lineup of Bruce lee Wannabee's? Elivis has left the room for good this time. Cheezy. The Industry could find an actor to portray Confucius in a recent release but no actors are worthy enough to play B_ _ _ _ L_ _? Go figure.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 09-30-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Of course it will be cool to see a Bruce Lee Robot starring in science fiction movies down the road. HDVirtual Lee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAN5EmYKFQ0
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 09-30-2015 at 02:20 PM.