Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other types of Kunf fu

Other types of Kunf fu

It's well known to anyone on here that the phrase "kung fu" doesn't exactly mean
    martial arts, but rather refers to the accumulation of a particular skill through diligence.

So I was curios to know, what other types of kung fu do the members of this board practice. And to make the discussion more relivant, how would you compare that skill to your martial art of choice.

One of my other kung fus is "scratch foo," aka turntablism. Like most martial arts, it starts with learning a few basic techniques wich set a foundation for more advanced ones. The latter techs are just more complex variations and combonations of the initial ones. Through repition the movments become 2nd nature and require no thought as to how to perform them. After you have accumulated a larg repetiorre of 2nd nature movments you can move into a free flow of movments, much in the way that you talk with out having to think of the word that will express your idea.

My other favorite kung fu is chess. To anyone adept at this game who is also a martial artist, no explanation is needed. But more specificly, I find it's relation to Wing Chun amazing.

First of all, the key to winning, or even learning the game, is learn to controll the center of the board (center line theory). It is the most direct rout to your oponents and from there you can controll a larger portion of the board.
    Simultaneous attack and defens are also prevolent at an advanced level. Your knight is under pressure from bishop, you move your queen to check your oponents king and the only defense he has is to used said bishop to block the path, thus eleviating the pressure on your night.

On a larger scope of the game, it's as if the kings are the body and all the other peices are the arms and legs, moving about manipulating one another in order to reach the ultimate goal, and if a direct hit pressents itself (leavs himself wide open)take it (fools mate).

I can go on and on for days, especially with chess and wing chun, but i'd rather see what everyone else has to say.

If you like chess try go (weiqi).

Piano. Still trying to undo the finger knot which was tied up while I tried my luck against a certain Chopin piece.

Well doing a bit of DJ'ing myself, although I am not much of a "scratch foo" guy I am more of a "mix-fu", More flowing from one beat/tempo to the next. Much like how I would prefer my forms to show and also how I aspire to move when I spar. Add to that "gun fu", powerfull and lethal. Pretty much how I would like my punches and kicks to be.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

stone masonry, aborsculpture, maze drawing, juggling, mycology, making canes/fighting sticks... eat some shrooms and you'll see how they all manifest themselves in the martial arts.

Writing, academics (student for life, probably), guitar, military equipment, counterinsurgency, historical studies, mathematics, and when time allows, crazy theories and mysteries regarding space.

And sometimes I do Army stuff too, but you do eventually get tired of battle plan 1A, 3-5 buddy rushes, and watching CFLCC change their %^$#ing minds about how to do things every five minutes.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

wow ... many DJs.
    Me too.
    Mixer Fu'er here too.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHP07...eature=related

I used to make model airplane.

I used to ride motorcycle.

----

I had some injuries from motorcycle accidents.

---

One of the great things about being a martial artist is that 'the fu' is something you learn to use and apply as required wherever. IMHO.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    wow ... many DJs.
    Me too.
    Mixer Fu'er here too.
    Cool - me as well!

I was a professional Dj on the circut here in Oz for many years and still play a few gigs every now and then just for fun.

I actually find for some reason that kung fu and martial arts attracts a lot of Djs or generally peeps with a love for fresh toons.

We have a few Djs and big wax heads at our school - its great.

When new students start training with us I think they assume most of us are nerds

This is short lived however... when they come to one of our social gatherings and there are 3 guys all playing anything from Dub, Roots, Reggae to Hip Hop, Funk, Soul, Disco, House, Electro, Techno and everything in between....its great and a really nice balance with the training.

Last edited by Blacktiger; 05-06-2010 at 05:29 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW6NVcqcRVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8U6O...eature=related

I like singing and playing a guitar.

Mary passed away sept 2009.

R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA6oPl82HuI

wow one man band

harmonica, guitar,--

--

music owns my soul--

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Cool - me as well!

I was a professional Dj on the circut here in Oz for many years and still play a few gigs every now and then just for fun.
    COOL! My Sihing in USA (Joe) is also a DJ.
    I play here in China too, gig every weekend and few week nights. Sadly these days this is probably the most "kung fu" training I get, cause Im at work 10 hours a day (during the day) and which leaves only night time to do anything else.

Techno/House
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )