Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD Review PART 2

DVD Review PART 2

I decided to buy a few of Mike Patterson's DVDs and come to my own opinin of their content and t see if a 35 minute DVD is worth $35.

Dale Dugas tried to pounce on me last time and I suspect he will this time as well. I have no doubt that Mr Patterson is very skilled being that he was the kuoshu full contact fighting champion 2 years in a row and continues to coach winners.

The DVDs were not worth the price I paid. Here's why: Though some of the DVDs are 35 minutes there isn't much content. Mr Patterson demonstrates a move and then shows the same move in slow motion, fast speed, and then a few more times in regular speed so you can follow along. In my opinion this was a huge waste of time and seemed like DVD filler to me. My original post asked if the power generating DVDs would be of worth to those with experience in the so called internal arts. I highly recommend his Internal Force Dynamics Vol. 1. This video featured the annoying slow motion movements but the excercises themselves are a good workout and have been of benefit to me. Internal Force Dynamics vol. 2 wasn't so useful to me. It featured him doing some of the hsing I Element punches and talks about how power is generated in punches. This video was super basic and contained mostly filler slow motion movements.

Honestly, I wouldn't have paid more than 10-15 bucks for these had I known their content.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 05-06-2010 at 08:31 PM.

friday looks cloudy with a high chance of a s hit storm moving in from the east followed by a hail of gong sau challenges

this is goju reporting from kung fu magazines weather copter!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I know right! I feel like some people are going to try and trash me for being honest. I've had these 2 DVDs for a few weeks. I wanted to absorb their teachings for a while before making an official review. They're officially too expensive.

Keep the dvd and watch it again in a year or two. Who knows, you may or may not find something of value you hadn't noticed before that might or might not make you change your mind about its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    Keep the dvd and watch it again in a year or two. Who knows, you may or may not find something of value you hadn't noticed before that might or might not make you change your mind about its worth.
    Wise words here.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There is value to the DVDs but they are not worth what is charged for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    There is value to the DVDs but they are not worth what is charged for them.
    Well, they are not worth that to you, just to be clear, right?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

My statement is open to interpretation.

I have both of them, and feel they are more than worth the money. To put it in perspective:

What you are getting is someone who specializes in generating power and using their body a certain way, showing openly how to do so. That knowledge is well presented, and difficult to obtain without the typical B.S. that comes along with most martial arts.

If a person goes and gets a massage, its around 1.00 a minute out here. If you went to fast food 3 or 4 times, its about the same price as the DVD. In my book, good information is worth much more.

SavvySavage,

Perhaps you should just decide they are not worth it to you and call it good at that. Most of the nastiest stuff in martial arts can be explained or shown in 10 minutes or less, its the doing it and getting it into ones body that takes all the time.
    -Golden Arms-

What we have is a difference in opinion. You're welcome to yours. I'm welcome to mine. I'm not sure why you're trying to stifle mine. If you don't like the thread or my opinion there are many more threads to browse.

I used my money to buy it and can do what I want with it and talk about it anyway I like.

you of course are able to give your opinion about the material,

it is too bad you would rather trash the cost than actually train and use what was shown to you.

many will think about the parable of pearls before swine.

good luck with finding those skills you seek on DVD.

if you are ever in the Boston area, come look me up. I can show/teach you to generate power and use it. and this is not a challenge.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 05-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I've found out the more I learn in Xing Yi, the more I see I can learn or didn't know on such dvds.

You have the right to your opinion, stand firm if you must.

Opinions Vary

When I was much younger, I once read an article on Hsing I (xingyi) in a magazine. I was very nonplussed about the readily apprarent lack of understanding on the part of the author. It affected me to such a degree in terms of outrage that I took the article to my teacher, Hsu Hong Chi, to show him.

As he thumbed through it, page after page, he began to chuckle and continued to do so throughout. I was confused by this and asked him why he was amused by the apparent total lack of knowledge and skill in the author. He looked at me, smiled, touched his heart and said... "I laugh because secret still safe".

Years later, when I began to teach, he told me.. "Teach everyone. Anyone like to learn, you teach, no worry. If they bad heart.. not too smart.. they no learn anyhow. Art take care of itself."

I cannot tell you how many times and how many instances this has been shown to me to be true. It is still true today.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

that is great story. thanks for sharing sifu Patterson.

$35 is about the average price for DVDs these days. You won't find instructional DVDs much cheaper.

That being said, I haven't seen these DVDs, nor will I. However, you are still paying for a lesson that you can get as many times as you want. No need to keep going to classes over and over again, and you can practice from your own home.

Now, what I PREFER to see in an instructional DVD are the techniques and forms, but also practical application as well. I think it's very important to see why you are traipsing about your house, and to see how each part of the form is essentially a drill of techniques.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"