Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD Review PART 2

Years later, when I began to teach, he told me.. "Teach everyone. Anyone like to learn, you teach, no worry. If they bad heart.. not too smart.. they no learn anyhow. Art take care of itself."
    Well said, very well said.
    I know a few people that like to believe that keep certain things "inside" is good, but all I have seen is that this makes for a slow decay of MA skill.
    The more open we are with knowledge and the more it is tested, the better it gets.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post

Years later, when I began to teach, he told me.. "Teach everyone. Anyone like to learn, you teach, no worry. If they bad heart.. not too smart.. they no learn anyhow. Art take care of itself."

I cannot tell you how many times and how many instances this has been shown to me to be true. It is still true today.
    +1.

:::claps::::
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    When I was much younger, I once read an article on Hsing I (xingyi) in a magazine. I was very nonplussed about the readily apprarent lack of understanding on the part of the author. It affected me to such a degree in terms of outrage that I took the article to my teacher, Hsu Hong Chi, to show him.

As he thumbed through it, page after page, he began to chuckle and continued to do so throughout. I was confused by this and asked him why he was amused by the apparent total lack of knowledge and skill in the author. He looked at me, smiled, touched his heart and said... "I laugh because secret still safe".

I cannot tell you how many times and how many instances this has been shown to me to be true. It is still true today.
    Holy Cow! Mr Patterson has to take time out to teach for free!
    I have your Hsing I dvds, still studying, thanks.

Just received a private email from Mr. Patterson

"Short Bridge Hung Gar and partner drills/sparring. Currently working some Kali in my off time. Played with some Dai Xinyi guys, JJJ/Sambo guys, Systema, an amature boxer or 2, wrestlers, San Da/San Shou guys, but Hung Ga is my main focus. Practice some Baguazhang as taught by Zhang Jie, as well as some Taoist Qi Gong work and Gun Fa Tui Na

Sounds like you are in just "super" position with your lack of involvement in Hsing I (xingyi) to judge my material as "super basic" ****. Too funny. Sticks like you just crack me up"

The area with the stars had my name typed there. This guy actually looked through his order records to find out who I was. And then sends out this email trying to knock me. Is that what a respectable sifu is supposed to do? Sounds kind of crazy to me, probably illegal. Does anyone else see a problem with Mr Patterson's online behavior? Moderators??!?

You're selling a product. I bought it. This is America. I'm free to form an opinion. If you didn't want to open yourself up to criticism than you shouldn't have put up a website and sold anything. I'm never buying anything from you again because of this childish behavior. Is this how you treat people who pay you their hard earned money? Who do you think you are? Did you copy Robert Redford's look or did he copy yours?

again it seems you are not man enough to take the heat from what you said.

Man up, or do not post on internet forums.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    again it seems you are not man enough to take the heat from what you said.

Man up, or do not post on internet forums.
    Thanks for taking my side, Dale. I wish he could take more heat on the Internet. You're a good guy, Dale.

yeah that was kind of pathetic to be honest

remember its the internet guys not real life!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Thanks for taking my side, Dale. I wish he could take more heat on the Internet. You're a good guy, Dale.
    I was not taking your side, actually this was directed toward yourself.

You started this thread and "badmouthed" a senior teacher who has not only the skills, but way more experience than you by making your original statements.

Your opinions are fine, but when you post them up on a public forum, and you are taken to task for your comments, you have no recourse. You take what people say.

This is not presented as an attack but as a honest look at what this appears to be to myself.

I have had people say all manner of things to me, at me and especially about what I post online.

Shifu Patterson has every fight to contact you off forum if he so desires.

You could have done this via email with Shifu Patterson as well.

Again you did not, so once you make your bed, you have to sleep in it.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I never attacked him personally! I referenced his DVDs for god's sake. I hope the rest of you don't have such small egos. This is so sad. You're getting defensive for something that didn't happen.

I know you weren't siding with me but the way you posted could have gone either way. I made a funny and you don't have a sense of humor.

Oh yeah.

Dale, I don't need to be taken to task for anything. I'm not Mr. Patterson's child. He has my money and I have his DVD. It was a business transaction. If I bought a car and the car salesman did this it would be ridiculous. But because his and your ego was hurt it's now a big deal.

[QUOTE=SavvySavage;1012750 I'm never buying anything from you again because of this childish behavior. Is this how you treat people who pay you their hard earned money? Who do you think you are? Did you copy Robert Redford's look or did he copy yours?[/QUOTE]

This would have been Sooo much more effective if you had added a "stomping your feet" animation or something.

Internet profiling, as google calls it, is an interesting thing. We all have such unique and distinctive styles of writing... they often can be found many places, for example, here: http://www.emptyflower.net/forums/in...topic=40&st=80 about 3 or 4 down as I remember. One just needs to know how and where to look.

Ego has nothing to do with it. Qualifications are what matter when rendering "an opinion" as an uninformed opinion is simply drivel. And an uninformed and anonymous opinion is simply a waste of space and everyone's time. But, in this world of the modern internet, the smallest mice often masquerade and roar as lions.

When I was younger, my teacher once said to me: "As long as you like learn, I like teach. Have one day you no like learn, who lose? I lose? I no think so. I already know."

Guess what dude? I already know. You are free to keep your opinions. I do not care to change them for reasons I have already made clear. But, I do like to know, as I think everyone else does also, who exactly is making the ruckus.

Btw, I wasn't sure.. but thanks for validating my shot in the dark. Again, too funny.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

I know that belittling someone's business can be taken very personally. You bring up a car dealer. I recently bought a Ford Escape Hybrid from a local dealer. However, when I googled them, there was a review which called them shady carnival hawkers (whatever that means). I brought this up during the test drive and paperwork, and they actually became quite offended by it. The manager came in, looked it up, and was visibly angry about it.

Another case came from a wonderful restaurant down in Pueblo. Turns out a rival said their meat was bad, the shake sour, and the fries burnt via an anonymous review. Considering the care and effort they put into their meals, I was inclined to ask about it. Again, the manager was incensed.

Don't mess with someone's livelihood and not expect it to be taken personally.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

but on the flip side savy kept his post pretty mannerly

considering how volatile people who review products on blogs and other things online can be i say its not much of a big deal

he just felt the material wasnt enough for the price and he is entitled to his opinion
    (if you dont want your products reviewed well.... then dont put them out! not everyone is gonna like them after all!)

and if any would be buyers of this product saw this and decided not to buy it soley off this review with out doing any further investigations of the dvd, well then they are preeeeeeeeeeetty dumb

now in the spirit of wude, festivus, and this cat pictured here( http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1091/...9c4fa0aa67.jpg ) lets all smoke em peace pipe!

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I'm not taking sides or anything. I'm just saying I've seen people get pretty bent out of shape when you criticize their business.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

why make the distinction between that it's not worth $35 but rather $15 (what you said was the max you would have paid)? I mean, to make a distinction of worth over a lousy $20? look, if you have $35 of discretionary income to spend on a non-essential item like a MA DVD, then just consider it money well-spent to answer the question you were unable to find the answer to on your own, which is, "is Sifu Patterson's stuff of benefit to my own practice"; if you don't like the material, that's fine, certainly one is entitled to their own opinion (informed or otherwise), but what's with the grousing?

if you wanted to critique content, that's fine - state what you didn't like and let the discussion ensue; but when you quibble like that, you show yourself as the small man you are;