Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning martial arts weapons

Illegal weapons

It's always a hassle with illegal weapons. Laws vary, not only from state to state, but also from county to county. That's why we make such a big point of saying "check your local laws" especially with nunchuku. 'Intention' is a big issue. A baseball bat or a broomstick can be considered a weapon if the arresting officer determines intention to cause bodily harm. Of course, a sword is more obvious, since given the nature of the object, you're brandishing it just to be carrying it (can't sweep the flor with a sword really).

A swordmaker friend of mine had sent me a link to this Vitocria article and I was about to post it when the link came up 'not found'. I'm glad Radhnoti found another version.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Send a letter to Parliment.

Make sure in big bold letters you put:

Assault is a behaviour, Not a device.

get about 300,000 people to do this until they get it.

pandora's box has been open for many years now, anyone who trys to stop the tide as opposed to take responsibility for the tide is plain old stupid imo.

any type pf weapons control is ridiculous. Better to educate people in the responsible use of weapons and to ensure that educational standard is met.

Like a drivers license, you cannot have the weapon until you prove you can use it properly, yes there will be some accidents and yes there will be some willful wrongness done, but hey, that's what being a human is about.

anybody here know what a "meme" is? meditate on it when ya find out.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Re: Illegal weapons

Originally posted by GeneChing
    It's always a hassle with illegal weapons. Laws vary, not only from state to state, but also from county to county. That's why we make such a big point of saying "check your local laws" especially with nunchuku. 'Intention' is a big issue. A baseball bat or a broomstick can be considered a weapon if the arresting officer determines intention to cause bodily harm. Of course, a sword is more obvious, since given the nature of the object, you're brandishing it just to be carrying it (can't sweep the flor with a sword really).

A swordmaker friend of mine had sent me a link to this Vitocria article and I was about to post it when the link came up 'not found'. I'm glad Radhnoti found another version.
    Gene, in Tennessee it's illegal to carry a club or a fixed blade over 4" long with "the intent to go armed." The bat, broomstick or nunchucku would all qualify as illegal if I was carrying it to use as a weapon either offensively or defensively. I suppose a coke bottle would qualify if you had that intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

This will bring the Victorians out of the woodwork

Victorians are a bunch of whackos anyway, so it is good that they are banning swords

Sounds to me like a pretty silly law. What are they going to ban next - kitchen knives?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by Radhnoti
    First...Victoria has banned laser pointers as well. Sounds like the beginning of a joke, but apparently it's true.
    Good. I ****ing hate laser pointers. Dunno what's happening now in the rest of Oz, but a few years ago they banned laser pointers over (IIRC) 1mW in my area (not Vic). I remember when I was visiting the States once and we went to the movies in Anaheim and some dick shone a laser pointer at the screen through the whole movie. Everyone was shouting out for him to stop it and abusing him, but no-one could work out who it was - packed cinema. It ruined the movie. If I saw someone being a dick with a laser pointer now, I'd chop it in half with my sword. Oh, wait a minute ...

I suppose a coke bottle would qualify if you had that intent.

You can have intent with a fork. Think about it. If you were Jackie Chan, you can have intent with a ladder, a bench, a bowl, an antenna, just about anything. Of course, most things have other uses than being a weapon, and that's where these kinds of laws become rather tricky.

To me, what makes it really sad is that even ineffectual weapons like plastic nunchuks are rendered illegal in some areas under strict intrepretation of the law. That's just silly. I mean, really, this nunchuk is just a toy. The only way I could harm someone with it is the shove it down their throat... or up their...ok, we're not going there. But where is the cut off? At what point does a wushu sword become deadly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mad props to G for making a statement AND doing his marketing responsibilities at the same time!

Kung Fu is good for you.

Gene, what about BB guns? They're ineffectual weapons. AFAIK, they're now banned (or otherwise severely restricted like firearms are) in Oz. I used to have a really good one, too. People were using them frequently for holdups. E.g. bank tellers couldn't tell if it were a real gun or not so they'd be complying fearing for their life. When the robber was caught, (s)he'd say "But it was only a BB gun." and AFAIK according to the law receive a lesser penalty than if they were carrying a real gun. If they didn't get caught, though, the BB gun would serve the same purpose as a real gun i.e. intimidate the bank/shop employee into handing over money.

For people that are not allowed to have practice swords, there are substitutes.

You may use a bamboo stick or even a umbrella to practice for a sword play. For broad sword play, that is tricky. But you just use something heavier then.

When I was young, I had to practice with bamboo sticks or any tree branches with a cloth tied on the end for gripping. I swing away for full hour of fun of practice. Only after several years of practice, did I "deserve" a practice sword with blunt edges. As a matter of fact, my father was afraid that me and my brothers destroy the swords when practicing. We were allowed to use the practice swords only when performing for Lunar Festivals.

All scholars in old China were required to study Wushu and sword play. Even Confusicous has a sword. What a man will be without his sword.

If the constitution said people has the right to bear arm and defend himself. Why ban a practice sword with blunt edges? Maybe "Kill Bill" movie gave me wrong ideas about the sword in general. By the way, the samurai sword is banned for sure.

Originally posted by SPJ
    If the constitution said people has the right to bear arm and defend himself. Why ban a practice sword with blunt edges? Maybe "Kill Bill" movie gave me wrong ideas about the sword in general. By the way, the samurai sword is banned for sure.
    Wrong country, SPJ. Constitution you're referring to is U.S. Sword story refers to Australia.

I just read through Radhnoti's lewrockwell link and all I can say is .

Agreed.

Banning martial arts weapons

Washington is looking to ban all martial arts weapons at schools and colleges. I wonder if that would cover fencing. Anyone here from WA like to chime in on this one?
    New initiatives would privatize liquor sales, outlaw martial arts weapons
    at 3:12 p.m. on May 6 Comments (2)

OLYMPIA — Another initiative to privatize the state’s liquor business is being proposed. A group calling itself Washington Citizens for Liquor Reform filed a measure to get the state out of the liquor business but to continue to raise money from it through a percentage of the booze sold.

Also looking to give voters a chance to pass a new law is the North American Self-defense Association, which has one proposal to outlaw all martial arts weapons at schools and colleges, and another that would mandate “abduction prevention training” as part of physical education courses at public schools.

Both groups face rather daunting math for getting their proposals on the ballot.

There are less than 60 days left before the July 2 deadline for turning in signatures, and while the state requires about 242,000 valid signatures, most drives shoot for 300,000 to allow for a certain number of invalidated signers.

Even if sponsors can get the language of the initiatives checked and petitions printed by the middle of the month, they’ll have, at best, 45 days for a signature drive.That means they’ll need to collect about 6,700 signatures a day. That’s 277 an hour or 5 a minute.

“It’s a heavy lift,” said Charla Neuman, a spokeswoman for the liquor sales initiative. They’ll have paid signature gatherers because “in that amount of time, there’s no other way to do it.”

One complicating factor on liquor sales is there are two other initiatives aimed at getting the state out of the liquor stor business. The biggest difference, Neuman said, is that this proposal ties the fee for the license to a store’s sales, rather than charging a flat rate for a license. So the more a store sells, the more the state makes.

Jim Curtis of the self-defense association, said they will rely strictly on volunteers for what he concedes is “a big push.” He has contacts with veterans groups, the self-defense and martial arts groups, and hopes to enlist some civic groups. Curtis said he has tried to interest legislators in bills that would do the same thing, but has received “the cold shoulder.”

To see all the initiatives to the people proposed thus for this year, click here to go to the Secretary of State’s website.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'd have no problem with them banning Weapons in dorm rooms, and the like.

I would like to know if there would be some exception for official school groups organized martial arts practice.

But what's the point, had there been any cases of assault with a deadly weapon that would prompt this legislative action or are they just being "proactive"?

USA
    Assault by sharp object 1,805 deaths
    Assault by blunt object 210 deaths

Student charged in Samurai sword assault

Davenport Suspect In Sword Assault

Woman on probation for sword assault

Drunken nunchaku attack ends in jail

Attack with nunchakus

Teacher arrested for bringing nunchucks to school
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Their lack of understand is quite stunning.
    A butcher knife will do far more damage than a sword in the hands of most people.
    A lead pipe beats a nunchaku hands down.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

they should ban all golfing on campus as well as baseball or anything that has a stick involved.

You could take said stick and kill someone with it.

good to see more idiots making idiotic laws.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.