Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Banning martial arts weapons

Gebhart was shot by a blow dart from a passing car in April at Hampton Beach while he was planting flowers.
    The man is disgruntled since he's probably the first victim of being *****ed by a drive by blowing.
    Last edited by Rolling Fists; 01-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.

kind of ironic that its the North American Self-defense Association that is getting on about this... you would think it would be some daisy group of sorts...

i wonder if they mean to ban all weapons, or just ones related to asian martial arts... what about fencing? and what about this self defence course, are they gonna teach a 13 year old girl how to disarm a grown man with a baseball bat? if you are that concerned buy the girl a taser and teach her how to use it... when shes a bit older she can move on to the roscoe...

maaan, we used to make dart guns in class with a ruler, a bic pen, a pencil, scotch tape, a heavy elastic band and a sh!tload of q-tips and sewing pins, the ones with the plastic ball on the one end, for ammo... you could bury those things in the walls...

and we were like 7... if people want weapons they'll have weapons... if they cant buy them, they'll make them... and i cant think of an easier weapon to make than a blow gun...

Banning MA weapons in formal schools is too strict. Let people keep such weapons if they have good reason, such as when are members of MA interest club in the college.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Glad they figured out there are no such things as MMA weapons.

This relates to our most recent ezine article: WHEN NUNCHUK SKILLS GET YOU BUSTED: NUNCHAKU AND THE LAW by Greg Lynch Jr.

Enforceable ban on martial arts weapons sales sought
    Current ordinance poses potential legal challenges

A zoning amendment will be offered by the Planning Board at the next Town Meeting to ensure a ban on the sale of martial arts weapons throughout most of town works.

By Nick B. Reid
    nreid@seacoastonline.com
    December 13, 2013 2:00 AM
    HAMPTON — The Planning Board will offer a zoning amendment on next year's warrant to ensure a ban on the sale of martial arts weapons throughout most of town works.

The proposed zoning ordinance amendment seeks to correct a wording mistake "by deleting the references to mixed martial arts (weapons), as such do not exist," said Planning Board member Brendan McNamara.

By definition, mixed martial arts refers to a contact sport in which combatants strike, kick and grapple using only their bodies. So, when section 3.46 in the town's zoning ordinance, adopted in 2011, refers to "restrictions on the sale of deadly MMA (mixed martial arts) weapons," it creates a problem. Officials have questioned whether the wording as is could stand up to a challenge in court.

Even if the wording were changed, any business currently selling throwing stars, throwing darts, nunchaku, blowguns or other objects designed for use in martial arts that are "capable of use as lethal or dangerous" would be unaffected. But new businesses would be prohibited from selling those goods within 2,000 feet of public, private or parochial schools; parks; recreation or sports facilities; or public beaches.

McNamara said he liked the wording but felt it important to note, "If you're on Ocean Boulevard and probably even on Ashworth Avenue, you're within 2,000 feet from a park, so you will not be selling that stuff."

Planning Board member Fran McMahon took that thought one step further. He said if you put a 2,000-foot radius around each of those entities in town, "I'd say there's nowhere" where they'd be able to be sold legally.

While the Planning Board will hold public hearings next Wednesday on all its other proposed warrant articles — including ones relating to height and setbacks in the Business Seasonal district and new zoning in the town center — the public hearing on the martial arts zoning change will be held on Jan. 15.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Legal to sell in VA soon?

State may legalize sales of ninja stars, daggers
    By Cameron Vigliano, Capital News Service
    02/08/15

Worried collectors of ninja stars and ballistic knifes in Virginia could soon feel relieved that their hobby won’t land them in trouble. A bill to legalize the sale of those weapons and others like it won a committee’s endorsement Wednesday, making way for the legislation to be heard on the Senate floor.

Under current law, it’s allowed to possess blackjacks, brass knuckles, ninja stars, switchblades, bowie knives, stilettos, ballistic knives and daggers. But selling those items is illegal and punishable as a class 4 misdemeanor.

“I haven’t heard of any rash of blackjack crime, or ninja throwing star, or even dart crime,” said Sen. Thomas Garrett, R-Hadensville, the chief sponsor of SB 1130. “I think it’s something collectors should be allowed to sell.”

Proponents say a law like this would clear the hazy area between legal possession of weapons like blackjacks and possession with intent to sell or barter. Right now, people who are suspected of intending to sell these weapons must prove they are simply a collector and not a seller.

The Senate Courts of Justice Committee held a hearing on Garrett’s bill Wednesday. The panel approved SB 1130 on a 9-4 vote split along party lines. Republicans favored the bill; Democrats opposed it.

It’s important to note that the legislation would not change Virginia’s concealment law regarding these types of weapons. It is illegal to carry these knives and other weapons in a concealed manner. The state law says:

“If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation … any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, blackjack, throwing star or oriental dart; or any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.”

It is legal in Virginia to carry a concealed handgun if you have a permit.
    A razor too? srsly?

Oriental Dart might make a good dubstep DJ name for me someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

whatever happened to that crazy hill billy?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Meanwhile, in NY

Senator wants to ban machete possession in NY
    Lisa L. Colangelo, Reuven Blau Today, 02:30 AM

Anthony DelMundo/New York Daily News

Sen. Tony Avella of Queens is proposing to ban people from possessing machetes in New York.

The sale of machetes should be outlawed after several recent attacks, a Queens pol said Wednesday.

State Sen. Tony Avella plans to introduce a bill to ban the possession of the scary blades in New York.

“The fact that anyone can easily purchase this potentially lethal tool is just crazy,” he said.

Smaller knives such as switchblades and gravity knives are already banned and listed as deadly weapons under state law, but machetes are considered the same as butcher knives.

New Yorkers carrying those knives can be ticketed for a blade longer than 4 inches, an administrative code violation. They face up to 15 days in jail and a $300 fine.

If Avella's bill is approved, possessing a machete could lead to a year in jail.

Under Avella’s proposed legislation, the mere possession of a machete could lead to a year behind bars.

In movies like “Machete,” starring Danny Trejo, it’s the vigilante hero carrying the macho weapons. Not so in real life, however, and Avella’s push comes in response to an attack last summer on Long Island in which, according to authorities, a man hacked a teenager to death.

On his way to being arraigned, the suspect, David Sadler, 45, told reporters he’d bought the weapon on Craigslist.

Police say Sadler slashed Terrance Grier, 17, in the neck with the massive blade during an argument down the block from Sadler’s Hempstead home in July.

[IMG]http://m.nydailynews.com/imageprocessor?image=http%3a%2f%2fassets.nydailyne ws.com%2fpolopoly_fs%2f1.2120871.1424317113!%2fimg %2fhttpImage%2fimage.jpg_gen%2fderivatives%2****ic le_970%2fmachete19n-3-web.jpg&width=320[/IMG]
    Christie M Farriella/for New York Daily News
    Greta Price holds a photo of her 17-year-old son Terrence Grier, who was murdered with a machete in July.

“I didn’t even know it was possible to buy a machete online,” Terrance’s mother, Greta Price, told the Daily News. “I had no idea that it wasn’t considered a deadly weapon. It should be.”

Price said she visits her son’s grave two to three times each week, adding, “He’d still be alive today if it wasn’t for a machete.”

Terrance wasn’t New York’s only recent machete victim. In October, an unidentified man was slashed in the neck, back, shoulder and arms during an argument in a Bronx restaurant. After the attack, police released a video showing the suspect pulling the machete from an umbrella.

The legislation is the second in a series of law enforcement measures recently proposed by Avella.

The lawmaker also wants to create a new criminal charge for suspects who vandalize police vehicles. That bill is in response to damage done to patrol cars in Brooklyn after a Staten Island grand jury voted not to indict a police officer in the July 17 chokehold death of Eric Garner.

rblau@nydailynews.com
    I'd be curious to see the legal definition of machete.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'd be curious to see the legal definition of machete.
    Ok so you left that wide open...so I couldn't resist.

Name:  machete-danny-trejo-image-600x401.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  59.9 KB
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

I don't think outlawing primitive tools is the answer, but that's a place there's no answer for. Guess hammers and screwdrivers will be next.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Those machetes the Senator has are actually kinda cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    Ok so you left that wide open...so I couldn't resist.

Name:  machete-danny-trejo-image-600x401.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  59.9 KB
    Ha...good one brudda. Machete rules! You know, when I interviewed Robert Rodriguez, I did ask him about Machete in Space, but he declined to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    I don't think outlawing primitive tools is the answer, but that's a place there's no answer for. Guess hammers and screwdrivers will be next.
    I wouldn't call the screwdriver a primitive tool. It's Middle Ages tool. Society needed to develop some level of manufacturing beyond the primitive age to have screws. But I feel what you're trying to say.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    A LOT more Americans are killed by automobiles in one day than are killed by machetes in a year. But unfortunately, it's easier for senators and others to blame inanimate objects than it is to address the real, underlying issues.

Stupid

Stupid, stupid, stupid! A good ol' Black and Decker claw hammer is the most effective martial arts weapon of all.

Legalize it!

A House committee has delayed action on a bill that would legalize nunchucks

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: 1/20/16 12:49 pm EST - Updated: 1/20/16 12:49 pm EST

PHOENIX — A House committee has delayed action on a bill that would legalize nunchucks.

Republican Rep. Mark Finchem of Oro Valley is sponsoring House Bill 2042 to legalize the weapon popularized by martial arts expert Bruce Lee.

The House Judiciary Committee postponed the measure at Finchem's request Wednesday morning.

Former Republican Sen. Kelli Ward of Lake Havasu City attempted to legalize nunchucks last session. Her amendment to a relatively minor bill that didn't pass also included the legalization of silencers and sawed-off shotguns.

Finchem's measure defines "nunchakus" as an instrument that consists of two or more sticks, clubs, bars, or rods connected by ropes, cords, wires, or chains to create a self-defense weapon.
    Silencers and sawed-off shotguns? Clearly these politicians overestimate the lethal potential of nunchuks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Actually high voltage tasers are more dangerous.

Any sharps are banned.

But practice weapons with dull and soft edges may not be necessary to be banned.