Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning martial arts weapons

Thumbs down Swords to be banned in Victoria...

With ANY amount of foresight, folks should see that this is just an extension of the logic behind gun control legislation...

People are hurting others with guns, ban 'em.
    People are hurting others with swords, ban 'em.
    People are hurting others with martial arts, ban 'em.

Can it be so far behind? This nanny state nonsense is a slippery slope, I think.

I'd be interested in hearing if KFO has any members specifically from Victoria, and if this law will affect their practice? Is your kwoon part of the "exempt categories"? The next step, I'd guess, will be charging those "exempt categories" a fee/tax for the "privilege" of sword ownership.

I get angry over stuff like this, because there's honestly people in this country who'd GLADLY do the same thing. Here's a link to the article:

http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/0...594279264.html

Honestly, it's up to each of us to rabidly defend the freedoms we (in the U.S.) enjoy AND the freedoms of our countrymen...even if we think they're doing something crazy/silly/wasteful/immoral. As long as their freedoms don't infringe upon the freedoms of anyone else. Owning a sword doesn't hurt anyone, it's the idiot swinging it. Punish him, not the untold number of lawful sword owners.

Late add on:
    Researching this a bit more, I see that they've ALREADY insisted on a $135 "registration fee"...and that it's already affecting non-violent collectors. Here's a link:
    http://news.com.au/common/story_page...5E1702,00.html
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Unhappy Swords to be banned in Victoria's Secret

catalogs. Shucks - I was so looking forward to seeing Tyra Banks in a Ninja suit.

Yet another freedom curtailed...

What's next? No got qi? girls!?! No female martial artist spotlight in the back of IKF?

We must carefully guard these rights...for there are those who'd take them away.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Technically, swords are ILLEGAL in Texas.

They DO make allowances for folks practicing martial arts - but that is NOT mandatory.

However, the bad thing is that a cop COULD arrest me for practicing with my DULL and Totally Will NOT Hold an Edge swords but I can apply for and get a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

I was so looking forward to seeing Tyra Banks in a Ninja suit.
    um, last time i heard, it was birthday suit, not ninja, that you were hoping for.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

i'd challenge to cops to cut me with any of my swords. not much chance of that. i think my dao is made of aluminum.

"However, the bad thing is that a cop COULD arrest me for practicing with my DULL and Totally Will NOT Hold an Edge swords but I can apply for and get a permit to carry a concealed handgun."

That's ridiculous.

This kind of "ban the weapon so that no one is allowed to have it and result in no risk of anyone getting killed" is a puritan thinking that started way back.

Here is a link about this kind of thing. It talks more about knives, but it can give you an idea of how this kind of "let's not let anyone have it and all will be safe" things started.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/st-opp.txt

In one point of our history, we were obligated to be armed. Then that was taken away from us by the puritans.

"...all power is inherent in the people... it is their right and duty to at all times be armed." Thomas Jefferson (1824)

My understanding of the laws in my state indicate that you can carry any weapon, as long as it's not concealed. And, OF COURSE, you can own any weapon IN YOUR OWN HOME. Also, in my state the concealed carry permit covers things like nunchuks, long knives, etc.
    The sword owners in Victoria will have to register (and pay a fee) for any family heirlooms or feng shui things as well.
    Still no one from Victoria chiming in...thought we had all kinds of aussie's on this forum?

Then again...the internet is dangerous. You can learn to make bombs from basic household cleaners on here. Maybe the internet is now banned in Victoria.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Originally posted by Radhnoti
    Still no one from Victoria chiming in...thought we had all kinds of aussie's on this forum?
    Yes, but not from Victoria. I hope that WA doesn't turn into a nanny state too!

That's some fugged up sh!t.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

My grandfather is an avid pocket knife collector. He is also looking into expanding his collecting to larger knives, swords, and other bladed weapons, particularly of Scottish and Chinese origins.

Thank goodness where we live everyone has a blade at least twice as big as there . . . gun.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

The only good thing I see about it is I can now use it in my "gun control is a slippery slope" argument.

What is that despair.com quote?

"Did you ever think that maybe the whole point of your life is to serve as a warning to others?"

Hope that madness keeps it's distance from your area Fu-Pau.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Originally posted by Radhnoti
    Hope that madness keeps it's distance from your area Fu-Pau.
    Thanx, me too!

Just read a commentary that reminded me about this topic:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lott/lott27.html

From the article:

First...Victoria has banned laser pointers as well. Sounds like the beginning of a joke, but apparently it's true.
    Next..."After July 1, swords will be banned and violators will face penalties that previously have been reserved for laser pointers – six months in jail and a $12,000 fine. ...A licensing process will be set up so that a select few will be granted an exemption and pay a $135 fee, but they will have to lock their weapons in sturdy safes and put in burglar alarms."

Now to the actual problem, I think:

"...for much of the past century Australia had lower crime rates than the US or the UK. Violent crime rates have gone up dramatically in Australia since the 1996 Port Arthur gun control measures. And violent crime rates averaged 20 per cent higher in the six years after the law was passed (from 1997 to 2002) than they did in 1996, 32 per cent higher than the violent crime rates in 1995. The same comparisons for armed robbery rates showed increases of 67 per cent and 74 per cent, respectively; for aggravated assault, 20 per cent and 32 per cent; for rape, 11 per cent and 12 per cent; murder, attempted murder and manslaughter rose by 5 per cent in both cases.

Perhaps six years of crime data is just not enough to evaluate the experience. Yet Australian governments seem to believe that if gun controls don’t work at first, more and stricter regulations (like getting rid of swords) are surely the solution."

One more quote and I'm done.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
    -Ayn Rand
    Keep it simple, stupid.