Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Banning martial arts weapons

Wasn't Chuck Rage the one where Rutger Hauer was this blind guy fighting evil cattle barons?

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Wasn't Chuck Rage the one where Rutger Hauer was this blind guy fighting evil cattle barons?
    Blind Fury
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ban all the MA weapons you want, I can do more damage with a hammer and screwdriver.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ya seriously, take away all my martial arts weapons and i still have guns, machetes, aluminum baseballbats, saws, hammers, ropes, knives, etc...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The banning of weapons is not uncommon. It is designed to make the populations subservient. You can fight back with weapons.
    awesome post.

this is all the more reason to keep the mind open and the body toned with "unarmed" practice... when you see the banning and criminalization of self defense, you will know that it is the time to begin to understand the concepts of it.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    awesome post.

this is all the more reason to keep the mind open and the body toned with "unarmed" practice... when you see the banning and criminalization of self defense, you will know that it is the time to begin to understand the concepts of it.
    Yes ban them, we need MORE GUNS!!!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Yes ban them, we need MORE GUNS!!!
    one's enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unF1QIdwdfs

can we also ban nuclear weapon, A bomb, incindiary bomb, cluster bomb--?

can we ban war?

probably not.

weapon or no weapon

if there is a conflict between 2 people, there will be fight--

----

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    one's enough for me.
    Need a good side arm, a handy scatter gun and a high capacity rapid fire device n I'm gooda go.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

You can make a dangerous weapon of almost anything. For example, another improvised weapon used by some is to tie a combination lock to a bandana. Afterwards, the bandana can be untied and detached, as the component parts are perfectly legal to carry.

True, MA weapons are (were) designed to kill or maim and non-weapon items are not, but how many are stabbed and killed with butcher knives, paring knives, screwdrivers, awls, etc. They weren't purpose-designed for that, but that's what's mostly used. All of the practice swords I own are dull, and though you could injure someone by striking or hacking someone with them, it wouldn't be practical. A machete would be far more effective, sharper, cheaper, and more durable than virtually any CMA practice swords. And I've never heard of someone stabbed to death in modern times with a CMA spear, Kwan do, chain whip, etc.

Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that in Britain, the gov't tried to pass a law to make all kitchen knives without sharp tips "so they couldn't be used to stab." It could be B.S., but I wouldn't be surprised by any lame idea for a law to protect the populace from itself.

Back in the '80s, a former nationally-ranked karate point fighter from Mass., Larry Kelley, who also worked for the postal service, lobbied, successfully, to ban many types of MA weapons being sent through the mail. He was worried about kids buying "ninja stars." I'm sure he meant well, but this resulted in him becoming persona non grata in the MA magazines.

lol ban martial arts weapons? hah! if i want a rope dart, imma just tie me like 6 handkerchiefs together and at the end of it is like a monkey wrench. Voila, a vagabond's rope dart lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Need a good side arm, a handy scatter gun and a high capacity rapid fire device n I'm gooda go.
    i must say that i do love my handy scatter gun... i like anything that is semi-automatic and shoots 000 buck shot.

apparently the only problem with this bill is the fact that a martial artist can use ANYTHING as a weapon - ban martial arts if they want to ban martial arts weapons, but that would stir up a shitstorm now wouldn't it... LOL

seems everyone has a rope dart/range weapon on the improv - i simply loop my sash or rope thru my iron ring... wala!!! instant headache maker!!! i also have a huge conch shell that is big enough to put your hand into for one hell of a boxing glove.

More on Maine

Because nothing says 'beach fun' like a beach towel, a beach blanket and a pocket full of shuriken!
    Board backs beach weapons ban article
    Legality of zoning amendment has been questioned by some
    By Patrick Cronin
    pcronin@seacoastonline.com
    January 07, 2011 2:00 AM

HAMPTON — The town's Planning Board is supporting a petition warrant article that would essentially prevent any new stores from selling martial arts weapons at the beach by prohibiting the sale to 2,000 feet from any school, public park, recreation facility or beach.

The board voted, 4 -1, to recommend the petition zoning amendment to voters at the March 8 election after a public hearing Wednesday despite questions regarding whether the article was legally enforceable.

Since the article was petitioned by John Gebhart and 25 registered voters, the board was unable to make any amendments to the article and it will appear on the ballot as written.

Gebhart said he put forth the article because the Planning Board decided to do nothing despite requests made by Hampton Beach Village Precinct commissioners to tackle the issue.

"If they are going to drag their feet, the only way to do it is ourselves," Gebhart said.

Hampton Beach Village Precinct Commissioner June White said the sale of martial arts weapons have been a problem at the beach for several years and it's not in line with the image they want to present, which is Hampton Beach is a family beach.

"This was put forward by John Gebhart who was actually shot by one of these weapons and we don't want this to happen to anyone else," White said.

Gebhart was shot by a blow dart from a passing car in April at Hampton Beach while he was planting flowers.

White said there are six businesses at the beach that sell martial arts weapons.

"Those businesses will still be able to sell the items because they will be grandfathered," White said. "We just don't want any more."

Resident Art Moody questioned the legality of the article because there is no definition of what constitutes martial arts weapons.

"Is there any definition of mixed martial arts weapons," Moody asked. "What about a three-inch jack knife?"

Planning Board member Fran McMahon said they cannot change the article because it's a petition zoning amendment.

Town Planner Jamie Steffen said he couldn't give a legal opinion whether the article would be enforceable or how it would be included in the zoning ordinance.

Selectmen were asked to sponsor a similar article but refused for fear that it may generate a Second Amendment challenge.

Planning Board member Tracy Emerick noted that even if the article passed it might be deemed illegal. He noted that while voters approved a growth ordinance in 2006, it was later deemed illegal by a Rockingham Superior Court judge.

Board member Keith Lessard expressed frustration that the article might not be legally binding.

"I think it's a disservice to the folks who want to get some of these blow dart guns and other items that are deadly weapons off the beach," Lessard said.

"They are trying to do the right thing," said Lessard. "They asked us and selectmen and nobody did anything."

Lessard made a motion to recommend the article even with the legal questions, which the majority of the board supported.

Emerick was the only board member against it.

"This is a land use board," Emerick said. "We don't belong in the product businesses. Next time we are going have somebody else come forward with a petition warrant article regarding something they don't like."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Knee jerk reactionary idiocracy at work.

No further comment required really is there?

Kung Fu is good for you.

"Is there any definition of mixed martial arts weapons," Moody asked"

hahahahahahahahhahahahah
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.