Thread: Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Hybrid View

Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV6eEqfsVWQ

Looks like Ip Chun is playing Leung Bik

Did I see Jackie Chan at 2:09, or am I imagining things??
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Looks promising. Sammo definitely there...didn't see any Jackie. The main guys looks a lot like Donnie Yen.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    The main guys looks a lot like Donnie Yen.
    Well it was DY playing Yip Man in the 1st film. I think he was set to reprise his role.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Well it was DY playing Yip Man in the 1st film. I think he was set to reprise his role.
    But that guy looks too young to actually be DY. At first I was like alright its Sammo and Donnie but then as I watched it further the guy looked the same but different...and younger.

So I don't think its Donnie actually....
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    But that guy looks too young to actually be DY. At first I was like alright its Sammo and Donnie but then as I watched it further the guy looked the same but different...and younger.

So I don't think its Donnie actually....
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/fullcredits#cast

I saw Yuen Biao and Louis Fan Siu-Wong from the 1st film. But you're right that is not Donnie Yen.
    Last edited by CFT; 02-09-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    DY will be in IP MAN 2.

i think this one 'Legend is born' is the prequel

This story seems to be of the young Yip Man learning in Foshan and then learning from Leung Bik...

Quote Originally Posted by Saboi Osmosis View Post
    DY will be in IP MAN 2.

i think this one 'Legend is born' is the prequel
    No wonder! I was expecting this to be the sequel.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Saw this movie a couple weeks ago, didn't have high hopes for it initially, but really liked it. It's too bad Ip Man came out before this one. A few of my students liked this one better than the first Ip Man. I'm not so sure, but know I liked it better than Ip Man 2. I didn't see much marketing of this one though. I don't even think there's a website in English for it even though the DVD has good English subtitles http://dragonstore.myshopify.com/pro...is-born-ip-man. What's up with that?

For entertainment value, it was fine.

Ip Chun stars as Leung Bik, and it is interesting to see his interpretation is that he taught the young Ip Man "high kicks" and "throwing methods", and then he was branded a "traitor" when he goes back to Futshan, for studying "outside" the system, as a semi-biographical sub-plot.

That part was stupid, and made no sense to me.

The rest of the plot of Japanese adopted brother, Si Mui in love with Ip Man and the ending was your typical martial arts movie.

Sammo Hung and Yuen Biu certainly got a lot of mileage of old choreographed routines which I saw back in the late 70's and throughout the '80's.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Ip Chun stars as Leung Bik, and it is interesting to see his interpretation is that he taught the young Ip Man "high kicks" and "throwing methods", and then he was branded a "traitor" when he goes back to Futshan, for studying "outside" the system, as a semi-biographical sub-plot.

That part was stupid, and made no sense to me.
    Hey Sifu Chu,

In thinking of what really happened, have you found any historical evidence of how Yip Man's Wing Chun changed after studying he studied with Leung Bik?

Its largely conjecture that Ip Man had studied with Leung Bik at all.

And if Leung Bik was smaller than Chan Wah Shun, why would he use high kicks and throwing?

I would speculate (guess) that if Ip Man did really meet Leung Bik, Leung would have taught him to use his body more efficiently to control the center of gravity, and then be able to throw and/or kick or strike at will. And also, his Si Hing would not brand Ip Man a traitor because he studied with his Si Bak (elder martial arts uncle), and it is in keeping within the family. All of it makes no sense in the movie.

Lastly, if someone studies outside of the family and uses the skills to show the family they are lacking in certain skills, it would make sense to the family to grow and develop counters or adopt the skill which defeated them. Chinese have been open minded about this for centuries.